Something to look forward to in UT2007? Ageia PhysX launch

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Apparently, the server will need an Ageia PhsyX card as well as one in your own PC to utilize the advanced physics processing in online multiplayer games. Makes sense I guess.

For City of Villains, the folks at Cryptic will actually have an AGEIA card in their servers to handle the really intense scenes of interaction in the game. The player will still have to have AGEIA’s PhysX card installed in their PC in order to see the effects.
http://www.firingsquad.com/features/ageia_physx_press_conference/
Another thing to add on the shopping list for a UT2007 server? The problem is justifying the purchase of the Ageia card just to see dust and crap move around "better".

"Dust and crap", that's what I initially thought anyway. Then I found this:
http://physx.ageia.com/footage.html
Pay close attention to the Cell Factor video, and repeat after me, "HOLY ****!"

BFGTech the North American distributer, I think ASUS is handling Europe and that side of the world:
http://www.bfgtech.com/physx/index.htm

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
To see "dust and crap" only yhe client will need it.

If you want somthing that will actualy interact then the server will need a card as well

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Yes ... in theory it can do a whole bunch of interesting stuff.

I'm still betting on it moving nothing more than mere "Dust and crap(tm)" for the simple reason that the casual gamer is barely able to afford a decent graphicscard. So forget about game-only hardware like this.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
JaFO said:
Yes ... in theory it can do a whole bunch of interesting stuff.

I'm still betting on it moving nothing more than mere "Dust and crap(tm)" for the simple reason that the casual gamer is barely able to afford a decent graphicscard. So forget about game-only hardware like this.

The Ageia Novadex physics sdk is scalable as far as I can tell, just look at the Ghost Recon demos. So, UT2007 w/o the PhysX card will be your average Joe, UT2007 w/ the PhysX card will have more realism added, provided the game server has a PhysX card as well.

Either way, Ageia is here to stay, Unreal Engine 3 has their physics sdk built in, so do other next-gen game engines. Whether people buy the extra card depends on the games and how creative the developers can be.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I doubt server-ops will buy an ageia-card, unless the game manage to outsell BF2 and/or CS. And that I doubt.

Besides ... since when did anyone playing on-line ever 'need' high-end graphics and extra detail ?
Especially if the physics-engine means there's even more data and thus definitely more risc in the lag & dissappearing projectiles-department.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
People who run servers are generally fans of the game who want the full experience for those who play on their servers. I don't see what it has to do with the wider popularity of the game.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
if you didn't have the physx card in your PC but have lots of ram would the ram be like the physx prosocessor to some degree?

Torvec

GL, HF, AND DIE!!!!
Feb 2, 2006
Southeast, USA
Mr. UglyPants said:
if you didn't have the physx card in your PC but have lots of ram would the ram be like the physx prosocessor to some degree?

.......................what made you even come up with that? RAM stores information, it doesn't process it...only way you could get the physics processed in real-time without the card itself would be to get your CPU (or even GPU according to nVidia/ATI) to do all of the work, in which case you can say goodbye to your framerate.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
toniglandyl said:
when will it be for sale?
for how much?
these are my questions :bulb:

They're available now through OEM companies like Dell and Alienware.

They'll be on sale publicly in May for $250-300.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I take it they are standard pci, or are they pcie 1x?

Thats a pretty decent price considering the performance you should get out of them and it'll free up the cpu so its not bottlenecking the gpu...:D

Torvec

GL, HF, AND DIE!!!!
Feb 2, 2006
Southeast, USA
MonsOlympus said:
I take it they are standard pci, or are they pcie 1x?

Thats a pretty decent price considering the performance you should get out of them and it'll free up the cpu so its not bottlenecking the gpu...:D

i think that price is way to high, considering the thing only has one use (that i'm aware of) and that's to calculate physics in a game...that's it, now if it were 200 and below i would think it was a decent price...

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
No doubt you'll see it being picked up for other stuff outside gaming, like rendering particle effects with 3d packages and perhaps for sciences so they dont have to wait around on physics calculations.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
MonsOlympus said:
No doubt you'll see it being picked up for other stuff outside gaming, like rendering particle effects with 3d packages and perhaps for sciences so they dont have to wait around on physics calculations.

Hopefully 3D software just needs a plug-in to support it. 3D Studio Max currently uses Havok physics for simulations. The 3D App has to support Novadex physics in order for the Ageia card to help out. Unreal Ed for UT2007 might support it, that would be good enough for me, I don't do much physics calcs in other 3D apps.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
=Vector= said:
i think that price is way to high, considering the thing only has one use (that i'm aware of) and that's to calculate physics in a game...that's it, now if it were 200 and below i would think it was a decent price...

Heh, how many uses does a video card have? All those do is display graphics.

Torvec

GL, HF, AND DIE!!!!
Feb 2, 2006
Southeast, USA
both 2d and 3d, how else would i be able to see anything my comp outputs?

in other words it's a necessity, that physics card isn't (not yet anyway)