UT2007World emails questions to Morris... what happened to our questions?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

truegamer

Jul 25, 2005
A news post on PlanetUnreal pointed out that the website Ut2007World, a community that appears to be significantly smaller than this one, recently sent questions to Jeff Morris and got answers to the questions from him. The thread discussing these questions and answers can be found here.

Which makes me wonder... for the longest time, we were preparing our own list of questions to be sent in (viewable here) that, last I heard, was making progress on the inside. Of course, that was a month and a half ago, not to mention the last post in the thread was almost that long ago as well.

So, is it too much to ask for an update on our question list, or is the effort as good as dead?

Torvec

GL, HF, AND DIE!!!!
Feb 2, 2006
Southeast, USA
probably cause BU's question are very specific, in other words epic hasn't figured it out yet because they probably haven't gotten enough of the game done yet to answer those kind of questions....just my $0.02

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
I emailed Tim DaRosa to ask what had happened about replying to the BUF questions a few weeks ago, but he didn't reply. He did reply when I originally emailed him about the questions, suggesting Epic would indeed be replying to them. Guess they must have decided against it :S
One of you guys can give it a try if you like, his email address isn't hard to find. Personally I'm very easily discouraged. ^_^

:edit:
Jeff Morris said:
In general we wanted to find the correct balance between the original UT’s play style and where it evolved to in UT2004. To that end we’ve upped the weapons power slightly, and designed levels that keep the combat range a little tighter. The mobility options introduced in UT2003, like double jump and wall dodging, are still present, but with the increased gravity aren’t as dominating as in the last title.
Praise the lor-dah :')

Last edited:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
I think Vector is close to the truth.
Either Epic doesnt want to give out more info (maybe saving it for some game magazine?) or theyre just too far off in the production to answer our questions.

We dont know if they answered ALL the questions UT2007World sent them but if you read the ones they DID answer there was NONE, Zero, Zip, piece of new info.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Good and bad. Again.

UT2007World: Will UT2007 be released in the same platforms (OS) as UT2004? Any built-in backwards compatibility for DirectX7?

Jeff: So far, we've announced UT2007 for Windows and PS3.

Not mention of Linux or Mac yet. Even though I don't use either of those platforms, I'm astonished that Epic hasn't mentioned them. Epic have always had very good support for other OSs, so to stay suprising quiet to a straight-forward question like that leaves me a little worried. Linux especially is important in terms of server hosting.

Jeff: In general we wanted to find the correct balance between the original UT’s play style and where it evolved to in UT2004. To that end we’ve upped the weapons power slightly, and designed levels that keep the combat range a little tighter. The mobility options introduced in UT2003, like double jump and wall dodging, are still present, but with the increased gravity aren’t as dominating as in the last title.

Well at least that sounds promising. Let's just hope they don't over-compensate...

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
You are totally right about the mac/linux thing as far as I know epic has always gone out of there way to support these platforms, even if the mac support does seem to be alittle less than official.

Personally I think this is a directx issue and that the features avaliable with 9 and soon 10 will not be present in opengl, or would take too much cost/time and effort to port over. Really this is only assumption Im far from an expert on these matters.

What I would like to see is more support from microsoft of these fronts as it could yield some extra cash for them. Im really surprised they havent released copys of directx for mac and linux that are done so for a cost rather than the free extra windows users get. I do know microsoft supports mac to some extents with a review I read saying the mac ms office suite is better than the latest windows version. That was ofcoarse in terms of the overall upgrade so that was interesting.

Ok so this is getting a bit off topic now, so I'll leave it at that.

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
SirYawnalot said:
I emailed Tim DaRosa to ask what had happened about replying to the BUF questions a few weeks ago, but he didn't reply. He did reply when I originally emailed him about the questions, suggesting Epic would indeed be replying to them. Guess they must have decided against it :S
One of you guys can give it a try if you like, his email address isn't hard to find. Personally I'm very easily discouraged. ^_^

:edit:

Praise the lor-dah :')

The exact same thing happend to the questions I sent in on the behalf of UnrealNorth... Did it the first time in October and Tim said they would answer them... a couple of weeks went by without answers so I sent an email to them asking about it, apparently they had been quite busy but they would look into it... this happen a couple of more times as well... but now he havent even answered the email I sent...

Perhaps it was just the wrong type of questions, nothing about graphics or vehicles, and more about UTV, demorecording, visible skins, etc etc

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
We'd probably get more answers if we sent questions, rather than requests and demands with question marks on the end of them :p. As long as they read them, that's fine with me.

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Selerox said:
Not mention of Linux or Mac yet. Even though I don't use either of those platforms, I'm astonished that Epic hasn't mentioned them. Epic have always had very good support for other OSs, so to stay suprising quiet to a straight-forward question like that leaves me a little worried. Linux especially is important in terms of server hosting.

Mac sites like Macologist usually carry news on UT2007 and there does seem to be an assumption in the Mac "community" (for wont of a better word) that UT2k7 will be coming out on Mac too.
This may be to do with the fact that icculus always seems to be so close to UT development, or because UT has always come out on Mac...or it may be because of the new Intel chips.

I do remember Mark Rein saying that they wanted UT2k7 to be cross platfrom on Windows, Mac and Linux in one of the first interviews.

I bloody well hope so anyway, UT is the only game I actually play and I'm about to upgrade my Powerbook to a dual core Macbook. I have no intention of buying a Windows machine just to play this game...so hopefully not mentioning Mac/Linux was just an oversight

@Hal: Was mac/Linux availabilty one of those orininal questions that were submitted? I don't remember. If it wasn't, is there anyway you could get slip it into Epic with the other questions.....We've got quite a few Mac users on these forums who'd like to know....

frogger187

eat. sleep. frag.
May 2, 2003
Wowbagger said:
We dont know if they answered ALL the questions UT2007World sent them but if you read the ones they DID answer there was NONE, Zero, Zip, piece of new info.

FWIW they didn't answer all of my questions... and I was limited on the number I could submit as well.....I had several other alternates that would have liekly yielded much more groundbreaking information...but only if they were answered...so i tried to get 'safe' questions in hopes of getting anything new..even if it wasn't exactly what everyone is hungry to know... I can't say why mine got done and others didn't..hoping they can give more info soon..