Computer Shuts down

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

evlj0n

Nov 27, 2005
Santa Ana, CA
Thanks in advance guys for any info. So I had my computer on for the last two days, untill yesterday night when I decided to turn it off. It was working fine. So I wake up today and turn on my computer. I reach the internet, and all of a sudden it shuts down. I was like WTF!!!! I turn it back on again and it gets past the bios, and shuts down again. It did this all the times i tried turning it on. Sometimes it would reach my desktop. I have Thermaltake Tidewater Liquid VGA cooler, and I also have Liquid cooling on my PC from Alienware. So it cant be overheating. Any suggestions guys. Could it be the PSU, or do you guys think the timing on the Memory might be out of whack. The PSU that came with my computer was a 650w PSU with 6 pin Atx connector. The one I replaced it with was a Thermaltake 500w with a 4 pin Atx connector.

evlj0n

Nov 27, 2005
Santa Ana, CA
Here are the specs of my pc. Is 500w enough
Intel® Pentium® Processor 830 w/ Dual Core Technology 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB
Alienware® Full-Tower Case - Saucer Silver
Alienware® Liquid Cooling with AlienIce™ 2.0 Video Cooling
Alienware® nForce™4 SLI™ Intel Edition Chipset Motherboard PCI Express SLI
256MB PCI-Express x16 ATI RADEON™ X1800 XL
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Extreme Performance (RAID 0) 160gb x2
16x DVD / 52x36x52x CD-RW Drive
16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive
Thermaltake Tidewater Liquid VGA cooler
Creative Soundblaster 24-bit.

Last edited:

AizenSA

The Divine Tyrant
Dec 8, 2005
Geonosis
www.myspace.com
You might want to upgrade you power supply to al least a 620w (just thinking off the top of my head) I'm not sure how much energy a liquid vga cooler takes but everything else looks fine. Oh and also did you run you anti-virus/adware/spyware type apps try that first before you do anything else, and also if you can run a registry cleaner to. I had that same type of problem in the past and I just did those and it stop.

BarneyGumball

Just Another User
Mar 4, 2006
Australialand =]
just a (stupid) question...

if you can't get on your comp how are you posting? =P

and btw is their any particular reason why you have that cooling system?

the only thing i can think of is you're overclocking (majorly) your CPU...

not that this would affect it...

I think...

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
Ugyura said:
You might want to upgrade you power supply to al least a 620w
Overkill+++

evlj0n, I know you say you have liquid cooling so it can't be overheating, but what are your cpu temps being reported as? Also, is Event Viewer showing any obvious errors?

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Doubt it's a power issue. Could be that it's overheating - check the temperatures using your favourite monitor (MBM5 for me), or look in the BIOS usually under 'PC health status'.

Alternatively, contact Alienware - I'm assuming a rig like that is still under warranty...

EDIT: Dammit, instaposted.

evlj0n

Nov 27, 2005
Santa Ana, CA
BarneyGumball said:
just a (stupid) question...

if you can't get on your comp how are you posting? =P

and btw is their any particular reason why you have that cooling system?

the only thing i can think of is you're overclocking (majorly) your CPU...

not that this would affect it...

I think...

I was using the computer at work. The reason I have that cooling system is because it is an Alienware computer. I dont overclock or do anything like that. It has to be ther power supply because even if I am in the bios it will shut down. Its working fine now but i had trouble turning it on this morning.

Last edited:

evlj0n

Nov 27, 2005
Santa Ana, CA
Crowze said:
Doubt it's a power issue. Could be that it's overheating - check the temperatures using your favourite monitor (MBM5 for me), or look in the BIOS usually under 'PC health status'.

Alternatively, contact Alienware - I'm assuming a rig like that is still under warranty...

EDIT: Dammit, instaposted.

The temperature readings are 38.0 C/100.4 F from Sandra Software. The vid card temperature is 48 c and drops down to 40 c when I dont play UT2k4.