PDA

View Full Version : UT2007 in 4D!!!

JackSlap8976
16th Mar 2006, 07:42 PM
According to THIS LINK (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696060p1.html) the ps3 will be "..."live" and that the PS3 concept is "4D"..."

When dealing with the universe and physics, 4D usually means x,y,z, and time. So to give your location in 4D one would say '20 degrees lat. , 21 degrees long, 30 meters form sea level, at 2 O'clock today'

but in gaming terms, 3d video games sort have always been in 4D. Or even 5D or 6D (keep in mind, dimensions could mean anything, not just time. I.E. health, ammo, gun, w/e)

So what does Kutaragi mean when he says live 4D gaming?

My best guess is constant stat tracking even on single player games.

What do you guys think? 4D, is it just fancy marketing or a gaming revolution?!

Sir_Brizz
16th Mar 2006, 07:45 PM
In typical Sony fashion, it will be something everyone else already does better with a fancy Sony-style name that costs more than it is worth, doesn't work right, and is released late.

JackSlap8976
16th Mar 2006, 07:46 PM
i like sony :(

MonsOlympus
16th Mar 2006, 08:05 PM
Well Id have to go with games being 7D, thatd be x,y,z pitch,roll,yaw and time. I guess its just another marketing thing like the third place, which isnt there it isnt here but somewhere inbetween.

Ive seen this guy on foxtel (paytv) he goes on about the 11th dimension of hyperspace, maybe sony didnt catch that one lolz!

Torvec
16th Mar 2006, 09:13 PM
the whole '4D' comment is just some more BS from sony, you're better off not buying into it, besides UT2007 is a PC game first and a port to PS3 second :p

shadow_dragon
16th Mar 2006, 09:42 PM
3D is an aesthetic, as is 2D and 2.1/2D why would the fourth one not be an extension of the established and suddenly be time? Possibly if you could see the beginning and end of an aesthetic whilst percieving it but even that's a push. Also any movie, or animation already has a "time" aspect applied to it, or motion anyway which pretty much is the inclusion of time.
Though possibly motion or animation was always the 4th Dimension. However how could something be 2D and also 4D.(2D animation?)

Maybe i'm missing something in the definition of the term but still i see 4D as one of those stupid terms that some people use to wow people that don't understand it. As for 5D-11D? It's allll tosh!

Edit/ I did a quick wiki search. The fourth dimension as i would undrstand it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_dimension

Some stuff about it being time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

Continuum
16th Mar 2006, 09:59 PM
What about all of the other dimensions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M_theory

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

Angel_Mapper
16th Mar 2006, 10:05 PM
It'll also be hyperquadular and subcell-oriented. See, I can make up buzzwords too! \o/

shadow_dragon
16th Mar 2006, 10:11 PM
None of these extra dimensions are particularly applicable to PS3 content as standard though.

Though i remember someone mentioning once that 3d sound or surround sound was a fourth dimension. That was tosh too but maybe the PS3 wil come with 5.1 or so? Doubt it but still. Would be nice.

DeathBooger
16th Mar 2006, 10:12 PM
PS3 is a machine that plays games with prettier graphics and it also has next generation dvd playback called blue ray, which will probably bomb like their minidisc fiasco, period.

MonsOlympus
16th Mar 2006, 11:08 PM
lolz, see what does sony know!!! lmao!

Well to me 2d with animation would be 3d, x,y and time. Then again you can only rotate on 1 plane in 2d... I guess you could count shear and drop shadow :lol:

Yeah its all hype, dont believe it man :eek:

ShakeZula
17th Mar 2006, 06:53 AM
In typical Sony fashion, it will be something everyone else already does better with a fancy Sony-style name that costs more than it is worth, doesn't work right, and is released late.
:lol:

EggBoy
17th Mar 2006, 03:52 PM
LMAO My best guess is that the Sony guy was talking Japanese and the whole meaning of what he was saying was completely lost in translation, cos this just makes no sense. I doubt "live" was the actual word he said in Japanese because that sounds to xbox-ish. Either that or they are desprately trying to come up with some kooky new term to make it look like it is some new era in gaming, because it seems like they are going to miss out on all the "next gen" hype by the time it comes out.

Fuzzle
17th Mar 2006, 03:57 PM
I had a game called "4d boxing" for my amiga. It was awesome.

Vault
17th Mar 2006, 10:44 PM
he just said it to say something cool.

winx
18th Mar 2006, 06:37 AM
yes 4d. is there a sarcasm emoticon i can use? You guys know that we cant 'show' ANY 4rth dimension on a 2d support like a monitor... right?
just making sure that u all realise its just something he says to make ppl talk about ps3.

oh and pitch roll yawn can be used to make another 3d coord system like spheric coords. but they DONT represent their own dimension. ;)

Fuzzle
18th Mar 2006, 07:21 AM
If you include time, I guess technically a monitor is 3d. You could also say a monitor is 4d because it *represents* the 3 spatial dimensions.

And if you wanna get really technical, there's always those vr goggles :D

MonsOlympus
18th Mar 2006, 07:59 AM
Maybe they discovered a parallel universe while stuffing with blue lasers :lol:

winx
18th Mar 2006, 09:53 AM
nah, unfortunatly, ah monitor is still a 2d support :) even if u include time. Simply because, the time he represent with all those frames NEEDS the real 'time' going in the universe, so, its a 2d support modified in time. If you stop time(dont try this at home) itll only be a 2d thing.

Maybe here the language barrier stops me from expressing clearly what i mean. hope its understandable.

JaFO
18th Mar 2006, 01:01 PM
So it's exactly like Microsoft then ... 'cause they've been doing that for ages as well.

Anyway ... sounds like yet another attempt at viral marketing bs instead of real news to me.

I mean what's next ? Will it clean my house, walk the dog and cook dinner as we ll ?
The fanboys and marketing-droids seem to think so ...

Sir_Brizz
18th Mar 2006, 03:21 PM
So it's exactly like Microsoft then ... 'cause they've been doing that for ages as well.
Well... Microsoft usually comes out with something that somebody tried once, that looks better, is more user friendly, and has more features for way more than it's worth and with crappy color schemes (regardless of the cleaner look). Then somebody copies them and releases it for free.