Platform borders (Trim)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wong

I've been making maps since UT was released in 1999, but with the acquisition of UT2004 I've resolved to make a map that isn't totally awful for once. The kind of maps that I'm into most are simple Q3-style platform-type arenas (largely because they're easy to make!), and I've had a go at making one of them in UEd 3:

ff1screen.jpg

It plays pretty well if you ask me (I'm very impressed with the new method of making jumppads), but the edges of the platforms look awfully bare. So in my next attempt, I'm attempting to use raised trim on the edges of the platforms.

The Wiki has a lot to say about trim around a subtracted room, but doesn't offer much advice on trim that borders additive platforms. At the moment what I'm doing is making thicker than normal platforms in the 2D shape editor, then subtracting a slightly smaller platform shape from the top of them, leaving a sunken floor surface with a border around the outside.

Now, I thought that this method was pretty much suicide in the old UEd 2, but I haven't experienced any problems while doing it in the new editor. I was considering intersecting the resulting platforms and replacing them, but after a quick look round the boards it seems that even touching those buttons is severely frowned upon.

So, long question short: What's the best way to add brush-based borders to platforms? Or should I just use static meshes for it and stop all this nonsense?

Last edited:

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
I'm using simple brush sinking, where last brush have the last word. :)
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Brush_Sinking

There are two basic ways, how you can make trims - use trim textures on big brush and add smaller brush in the center (2 brushes) or use platform texture on big brush and add smaller brushes with trim texture to the sides. That needs more brushes (or complicated one, but beware of this for your own good - more simpler is better than one complicated brush).

It's up to you if you want trims in other height - if so, you can live without brush sinking, because you can e.g. subtract some part in the middle and use big brush as a "trim" and inner (subtractive) brush texture as platform. There are always at least two ways.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
AlleriaHardware.Miscellaneous.Btrim25601AL and the like (there is a whole load of Btrim* meshes) work pretty well for edge trim.

Remember that you can use drawscale3d to stretch the mesh - a good way of avoiding having to put in too many lights to match the static mesh lighting.

The attached screenshots show the trim close-up and the effect from further out.

Attachments

• FHIShot00242.jpg
    FHIShot00242.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 27
  • FHIShot00241.jpg
    FHIShot00241.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 27