PDA

View Full Version : The Offical [BETA] UW Feedback thread...

$n][pErMan
7th Mar 2006, 11:26 AM
Well I did not see one so I took the liberty of making one! :) Post everything about it here... what you like and/or dislike or what you managed to break! I hope to have a beta server up soon so we can test online... I PM'ed shimp a few questions first though so I can get it setup properly.

Diego1203
7th Mar 2006, 11:44 AM
So far I've mostly played wrecker, and I like it, but it kind of sucks to get killed and then just have to sit there while everyone else keeps playing. At the very least it should swich to spectate mode or something after a few seconds, or when you click the mouse.

Also, It seems like it's hard to trigger the healing spots with the lower vehicles, like the F1 cars.

Shrimp
7th Mar 2006, 01:46 PM
Ah, I never really thought of using an F1 car in Wrecker, so didn't get a chance to test that :p :p. Will look into it, thanks. Spectating is probably also a good idea.

craze
7th Mar 2006, 05:26 PM
the vehicle selection list is seiorusly screwed up, it looks like it repeas itself, then some cars aren't rendered properly(i have a 'ghosty' semi) and some wont use skins correctly. i just crashed it trying to load the 'ghosty' semi.

Diego1203
7th Mar 2006, 06:23 PM
the vehicle selection list is seiorusly screwed up, it looks like it repeas itself, then some cars aren't rendered properly(i have a 'ghosty' semi) and some wont use skins correctly. i just crashed it trying to load the 'ghosty' semi.

I noticed that too, but I assumed it was because I didn't uninstall the old version of UnWheel first.

stevenhorton
7th Mar 2006, 07:35 PM
Great effort Shrimp:clap: Most all the problems I have found so far are the mapper's faults.
There is a problem with the real-time TexEnmap being over illuminated in the selection window after using the vehicle. I had no problem selecting vehicles or a repeating list. You need to delete the previous version before installing the new one or you will get multiple versions of the vehicles.
I like the look of real time shadows, but it still makes some of the vehicles seem laggy. Could it be toggled on and off? The shake when using turbo seems excessive, makes it hard to see.
We need to weed out a few maps like UWRC-KBallHotel,(a mistake from last release), and UWRC-MountainTown, which I replaced with a Rally map. I have both a Rally and Race version of LostGods, I think we should remove the Race version because of the length.
UWRC-PavilionTrack needs the hills flattened out, I hit the girder before the starting position:P
ProjectX still needs to tone down the ambient sounds in AngelFalls, Alpine and Caribbean.
Record tracking doesn't work in practice. Did run a 4:19 in TrainRace:)

$n][pErMan
7th Mar 2006, 10:48 PM
Shimped PM'ed me back on some of the server stuff. I have projects and a few finals this week. I hope on Saturday though I will have some time to get the beta server setup and running :)

jerdaygo
7th Mar 2006, 11:26 PM
Hey shrimp I had a second to load it and noticed that FurrowDashRally is not included, besides that it looks awsome :D
http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/unwheel/maps/UWRC_FurrowDashRally.rar

Shrimp
7th Mar 2006, 11:33 PM
Yup, the duplicate/broken vehicles are caused by the old version. A quick way to resolve it would by by removing all the UnWheel .int files from UT2004\System\.

The realtime shadows are supposed to be off, as they do cause slowdown and often tend to go crazy, guess I added the wrong variable to the DefUser.ini or something.

I guess I could agree on the turbo shake, it is perhaps a little psychotic :).

For the lap records, on the vehicle selection screen, you need to turn on "Record best lap", it's off by default.

Shrimp
7th Mar 2006, 11:38 PM
Eek, sorry jerdaygo :D

ProjectX
8th Mar 2006, 01:41 AM
ProjectX still needs to tone down the ambient sounds in AngelFalls, Alpine and Caribbean.
Record tracking doesn't work in practice. Did run a 4:19 in TrainRace:)

I'll see to angel falls and alpine, but is this the new version of caribbean? With the improved graphics? Because I thought I'd done that one, maybe not. I'll go over it again.

Malibu Barbie
8th Mar 2006, 08:30 AM
Okay, I must have missed something. Can someone tell me where I can DL the beta from?

JamesBong
8th Mar 2006, 08:39 AM
i got it working last night... good job Shrimp :cheers:

i agree about the turbo shake = bit too much, though doesnt really bother me. i did not see any doubled cars in the menus, but i did notice sometimes the car previews where looking underneath the car for some reason. End of race spectate mode or free cam would be cool. (no more crazyness at the end of races... ie car resets :( )

i was expecting way more damage to occur than what you've implemented. i seriously thought i'd be creeping around in a broken car after tagging a few walls. i am glad its not that way. :)

the tire lining of caribbean seems alittle tight... 8 cars diving into some of those corners same time is going to be nuts...'specailly if position 1 car gets stuck on tire. the ocean and birds ambience gotta be removed or toned down...sorry drives me nuts :D

seperate user.ini and ut2004.ini just for unwheel should be default instead of messing with 2k4's ini's.... not that i play or care @ vanilla 2k4, but alot of ppl do and might want to bind some of the same keys to do things. i made myself seperate .ini's and changed my shortcut properties to load those .ini's

i'll play around some more. cant wait to get on a server... hint hint nudge nudge know whatimean.... naaaahhh good luck w/finals snipe ;)

Shrimp
8th Mar 2006, 10:49 AM
It does use it's own .ini files, that's why we have the whole -mod=UnWheel thing going :p. Check out UT2004\UnWheel\System\UnWheel.ini and UnWheelUser.ini - those are the files it'll be using by default. If it seemed like it was using your default INIs, that's probably because it imports your default settings into the UnWheel INI files when you first start. It never writes to your default .ini files though.

End of race spectate - also a good idea.

Shrimp
8th Mar 2006, 10:49 AM
Oh, Barbie, sorry - thought you were in South America or something on holiday, didn't now you were back ;).

Malibu Barbie
8th Mar 2006, 11:18 AM
No problem. Thanks for the link.

I was in Rio de Janeiro, but now I'm back to the frozen thundra I call home.

craze
8th Mar 2006, 11:36 AM
(this may not make any sence, im [I]realy[I] sick ATM)
hmmm, ive come across some more stuff, car preview angle is set by where your facing, the car is always flat, but if your camera at the begining of the race is looking some weird direction the car seems screwed up, maby you could force the camera to look a certain way.

some cars have sxkin errors and use the default tex in their skin.

some cars are too dark.

Ok, this is importrant, you need to remove damage from running into karma actors. (my map should be cut until i get the correct ver out, i gave smipe teh wrong one, play it and you will know what i mean)

some cars can go jst as fast when their upside down then if they are on their wgheels.

there are map duplicates(ver I and ][ )

some cars have trouble stopping, maby they are the old cars, if they could stop faster wrecker would be easier.

the rate damage effects car speed is a likttle crazy IMO(maby thats cuz i suck(avent played in a long time))

it would help to take the 'peed out of wrecker or make it weaker, I played a botmatch and it was insanely hard to kill.

bot AI in wrecker could be fixed, they clump together and stay that way.

havent seen much else theat i can think of ATM(or rember)
just hope this makes sence

ProjectX
8th Mar 2006, 02:24 PM
I don't think AI can be killed in wrecker...

stevenhorton
8th Mar 2006, 03:29 PM
"I like the look of real time shadows" Sorry Shrimp, meant to say real time reflections"P

$n][pErMan
8th Mar 2006, 03:59 PM
i'll play around some more. cant wait to get on a server... hint hint nudge nudge know whatimean.... naaaahhh good luck w/finals snipe
haha .. thanks. I promise... I do have project work on saturday to do... but unless installing this becomes a real pain on linux (which is a good test for shimp i guess) I should have it up no problem by the burnout time... thats is if shrimps instructions for doing so work out :p

Malibu Barbie
8th Mar 2006, 04:00 PM
Okay, so far I like it but......

Youse killed the Wildfish II !!! I loved the way I could slide that car around the corners on the old version. But it doesn't work on this one.

With the old WF2, on tight corners, it was very easy to do a power slide with great perfection, without ever lifting from the gas, and exiting the corner on a perfect line. But now, it drives like all the other cars. :(

One other little problem I found was that, with the F1 car (one of the new ones, not the older 'hidden' one), whenever I'm at speed and lift off the gas in order to slow down for a corner, the car goes into a spin. It would be a great car for trainrace, but I can't slow it down for the tighter corners.

Shrimp
9th Mar 2006, 01:20 AM
OK, not sure about the Wildfish II, I think it's had it's suspension stiffened. I like it though, get some of my best lap times with it :).

On the Formula Racer (I think it's Formula Racer II which does it), I'm not too sure, but I've seen a lot of good records result from it. The spinning out only seems to happen when you are traveling at near top speed, so, perhaps that's supposed to happen, will have to see what Steve has to say I think :).

stevenhorton
9th Mar 2006, 07:14 AM
I don't recall changing the WildFishII. The Formula's spin at top speed is something I haven't been able to fix, as Shrimp said it happens near top speed. My Formula cars are almost idenical as far as the bones and size, but the Formula car 2 behaves very different from the Formula; as far as I can tell this is more of an art than a science:P

DARRKCLOUD
9th Mar 2006, 07:30 AM
Okay, I must have missed something. Can someone tell me where I can DL the beta from? I was wondering this too. I Keep going to the Unwheel site pritty much every day to see if the new one is out, but now I am starting to think if it will ever come out because you are over 2 months late of your original deadline of the 3rd/4th december. :(

jerdaygo
9th Mar 2006, 08:40 AM
I was wondering this too. I Keep going to the Unwheel site pritty much every day to see if the new one is out, but now I am starting to think if it will ever come out because you are over 2 months late of your original deadline of the 3rd/4th december. :(

Well it is true that this new versions release has taken longer than anticipated, but their is good news. The new version is in beta testing so it should not be too long before the public release :D

DARRKCLOUD
9th Mar 2006, 09:28 AM
:D
That is good news. Now I am off to make some userbars for www.thecarforum.net and Unwheel (If I can borrow a small logo off Shrimp). ;)

JamesBong
9th Mar 2006, 09:47 AM
I dont know if possible or too big a code chunk to hack out, but in offline practice, when a match is over, and you hit escape and forfeit. insted of going back to main menu, can it take you back to map selection menu? or maybe implement a "race again" button on that escape menu. sorry.... i know, im getting lazy in my old age ;) heh

btw: awsome job on 'Highway from Hell' map :clap:

Edit: are we supposed to turn off the record lap thingy until released ? .... i see the only records are from shrimp, mb and myself

$n][pErMan
9th Mar 2006, 11:19 AM
Well I had some time late last night in between finals to install the beta on my windows computer. I only had time to play one map and do some small testing. I played highway from hell and I must say that is one badass map! :D Also... the new damage system is sweet. I started to hit a bunch of stuff to see what would happen and at the point where my car was starting to catch fire I could have gotten out and walked faster .. lol :) This shouldkeep people from flying around like pinballs! :D Hope to do alot more testing this weekend inbetween my project and hopefully I can get the linux beta server online and running for the burnout! I got the files of the server duplicated and the beta upload... I just need to figure out how to get it running as a mod using comman lines on linux. I tried a little last night but for some reason it was erroring out. I dont think it was reading the host.ini file right or something was missing somewhere. Does it matter where I append -mod=UnWheel in the "./ucc server" startup command line? Also, should I be starting the server from the UnWheel system directory or the UT2004 system directory and where should I place my host.ini file in this case? Also shrimp, I deleted all UW files I could find in the UT2k4 system directory... do I need to remove all UW refferences from the host.ini too?

Malibu Barbie
9th Mar 2006, 07:47 PM
So, anytime I go into one of those jumps where the camera angle changes, I'm flying in slow-motion. Is everyone else having this? makes you want to NOT hit the jumps very fast, so the camera angle doesn't change, and you do the jump in regular speed.

Shrimp
10th Mar 2006, 12:14 AM
JeeP: Yes, please record lap times. In fact, everyone should be, to test it out ;).

Sniper: I'm not 100% sure why it's not starting up. I'd suggest placing the host.ini within the UT2004/UnWheel/System directory, and just append -ini=host.ini as usual. I also think the -mod should be at the end of the command line (just before -nohomedir though).

If you can't get your custom .ini to work, I'd suggest not specifying any -ini option, and it will use the default UnWheel.ini in UT2004/UnWheel/System/. Perhaps delete that file if it exists, run the server once to generate a base .ini file with most options (and the default UnWheel options from Default.ini), and then customize the UnWheel.ini to whatever you want, then start the server again. That should give you a good set of UW-compatible settings.

I don't think allowing it to use UnWheel.ini would be a problem, since I doubt you're using the server to actually play UW? So your settings won't be messed up by accident.

Barbie: What's wrong with the slo-mo? :p It's been there since forever just about. It isn't just your car that slows down, the whole game slows, so your lap times should not be affected, and nobody else will zoom past you while you gracefully float through the air. The slow motion doesn't happen in multiplayer for obvious reasons.

Malibu Barbie
10th Mar 2006, 09:30 AM
The slow motion doesn't happen in multiplayer for obvious reasons.

Oh, okay. That makes more sense. For a second there I thought it would also heppen in multiplayer, which would mean a lot of people doing whatever possible to avoid the jumps! :)

Malibu Barbie
10th Mar 2006, 09:37 AM
Little issue with the 'records' page. It shows not the records for each track, but the latest timed lap for the track. For example, right now on http://unwheel.beyondunreal.com/records.php it looks like Strangelet has the record for uwrc-flyaway. But if you click on uwrc-flyaway (http://unwheel.beyondunreal.com/records.php?map=uwrc-flyaway) you'll noticed that his is actually the 4th fastest time.

And what happened with Midnight Air? I'm having one hell of a time trying to get around the track with any vehicle.

BTW, I found the trick to make the WF2 power-slide arond the corners. Its not as clean as in the old version, but it works.

Cheers.

Malibu Barbie
10th Mar 2006, 10:45 AM
I don't recall changing the WildFishII.
That's odd. That used to be my favorite vehicle since I could just move the mouse very fast in the direction I wanted it to go, and it would just do a power-slide and follow in that direction. great fun. But now I must lift off the gas or sometimes even tap the 'reverse' to make it go into a similar slide.

as far as I can tell this is more of an art than a science:P

And we thank you all for being such great artists! :)

Malibu Barbie
10th Mar 2006, 10:53 AM
Hey look! I'm quadruple-posting!

Anyway, another suggestion for the records page. Right now, one can click on a name to see that person't records, or on a track name to see the fastest laps on that track. How about adding the same functionality the the vehicles?

JamesBong
10th Mar 2006, 11:25 AM
Hey look! I'm quadruple-posting!
dummy ;)

just wanted to say good job on Templus map ... PX :)

and can we add in the maps we previously downloaded for MSU version ? ie.deck-17 grandvalleys tricky northern etc...

Shrimp
10th Mar 2006, 02:42 PM
Records page: Well, it simply displays the 10 latest submitted records, regardless of where they actually placed. I think a "Position" column may be helpful there.

Midnight Air: Seems to be there fine... Anyone else missing it?

Extra maps: I'm hoping to releast them in a pack, with, or soon after the new UW release. Since they aren't 100% original works, or are not by members of the team, I don't feel right including them. Also, they are huge, and would increase the release download size dramatically.

Malibu Barbie
10th Mar 2006, 02:48 PM
Midnight Air: Seems to be there fine... Anyone else missing it?
I'm not missing it. It is just nearly impossible to race on it. I tried with all the usual vehicles I used to race there, and they all keep crashing at the landings, at the begining of the ramps, in the middle of corners, etc. That used to be a map where i could kick butt, and where the VW Bug was king, but no way I can complete a lap with the bug on it now.

Shrimp
10th Mar 2006, 02:53 PM
Ah, sorry, mis-read that completely. Trying to reply to 5 replies at once and all ;) :p. I tried it out, and I'm not sure why its behaving like it is. I think it's probably the increased vehicle speeds causing us to slam into things harder than before...

On the extra maps thing - Highway From Hell wasn't really supposed to be in this beta, slipped in by mistake ;).

jerdaygo
10th Mar 2006, 04:54 PM
On the extra maps thing - Highway From Hell wasn't really supposed to be in this beta, slipped in by mistake ;).

I can see how it could have "slipped in by mistake" :p yeah right

ROFL :lol: ;)

PS: I am going to try to checkout all my maps this week, including MidnightAir, and FurrowDashRally :p LOL :)

CyberSirius
10th Mar 2006, 05:22 PM
I have a question,where is the UnWheel Beta?

craze
10th Mar 2006, 07:07 PM
hey, please drop my m,pa from the release unless i give you a new version. just dont want a screwed ver going into the puiblic release, thanks.

Diego1203
11th Mar 2006, 05:58 PM
Hmm, I was just playing on the Beta server with sinperman and it just crashed, here is the error message.

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2214 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (8198)

General protection fault!

History: UScriptedTexture::Get <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetShaderMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterial <- USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- RenderLevel <- UWRC-Silverrock2.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Silverrock Day <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 10910191 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

It's crashed on me twice before but I didn't copy the error down or anything, the other times it crashed I was playing offline

$n][pErMan
11th Mar 2006, 06:17 PM
I did not crash when Adam did... if that helps. Also, I suggest maybe having the heal stations on Wrecker heal a little bit slower. At least with 2 people online... the game can go on forever as you repair so fast IMO. Maybe its harder with more people... not sure yet as I have not had a chance to play with a bunch of people :)

Diego1203
11th Mar 2006, 06:55 PM
[pErMan']I did not crash when Adam did... if that helps. Also, I suggest maybe having the heal stations on Wrecker heal a little bit slower. At least with 2 people online... the game can go on forever as you repair so fast IMO. Maybe its harder with more people... not sure yet as I have not had a chance to play with a bunch of people :)

It's probably best to reduce the heal effect anyway, even though more than two people are likely to play, because no matter how many people you start with it will probably come down to two people in the end. But more testing is needed before changes are made anyway, let's get some big Wrecker games going.

Diego1203
11th Mar 2006, 06:58 PM
I have a question,where is the UnWheel Beta?

It's not public yet, only team members and forum regulars have it at the moment, I believe.

PrimalInstinct
11th Mar 2006, 08:38 PM
so far I gotta say I like the old version better,although maybe that will change in time...feel's kinda bland...:lol:(sound's like fun though)hint,hint

Diego1203
11th Mar 2006, 09:55 PM
so far I gotta say I like the old version better,although maybe that will change in time...feel's kinda bland...:lol:(sound's like fun though)hint,hint

Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel left out, I should have said "A select few forum regulars". I don't even know exactly who has it, i had nothing to do with deciding who got the beta, that was all up to Shrimp, so you should bug him for it :)

$n][pErMan
12th Mar 2006, 01:01 AM
Its the PrimalInstinct is not invited club. Pwned. ;) :lol:

Shrimp
12th Mar 2006, 01:06 AM
Looks like that crash is real-time reflection related. Need to add an option to disable it, for stability and performance reasons.

Don't know if anyone has noticed also, but the lighting on the vehicles has been improved dramatically. They no longer have that unlit/fullbright look to them when driving in and out of shadow or different light brightnesses and colours. MidnightAir and Industry demonstrate quite well.

About missing out on the testing; I just chose the people I've seen around the forums a lot, and who have been following the mod for probably going on 2 years. I don't mean any offence to anyone not selected :(.

$n][pErMan
12th Mar 2006, 01:32 AM
I always loved MidnightAir.. I dont know what happened... but I cant get through that map... not even 1 lap... without randomly hitting something and flipping all over. Not sure what has changed... but you might want to look into it. 1 spot is really bad and ALWAYS happens.. its right after the biggest jump in the map on the turn downward.

PrimalInstinct
12th Mar 2006, 08:50 PM
[pErMan']Its the PrimalInstinct is not invited club. Pwned. ;) :lol:
:lol: touche:lol: Hey someone try the pos van on Midnight Air...i always found it did best on that map...never bumped or snagged..

PrimalInstinct
12th Mar 2006, 09:06 PM
:About missing out on the testing; I just chose the people I've seen around the forums a lot, and who have been following the mod for probably going on 2 years. I don't mean any offence to anyone not selected :(.[/QUOTE]
:)Certainly none taken...Thanx for a great game! (messed up a quote...:o )

craze
12th Mar 2006, 10:05 PM
yeah, ive been getting errors with the reflection tex. just today the car in teh main menu had a default tex reflection with the words client invalid or something like that...

JamesBong
13th Mar 2006, 08:27 PM
yeah, ive been getting errors with the reflection tex. just today the car in teh main menu had a default tex reflection with the words client invalid or something like that...

yep like this? camo anybody? :D
http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/6819/camof15dv.jpg

$n][pErMan
13th Mar 2006, 11:49 PM
ANother error (well one that should be an easy fix)... but on RC_Fronz][ (I think thats was the name) when you select your car it hits the tree on the way down from spawning and flips over EVERY time and then you start outside your car. Might wanna fix that :p

JamesBong
14th Mar 2006, 08:33 AM
......whenever I'm at speed and lift off the gas in order to slow down for a corner, the car goes into a spin. ....

steve and i ran some laps last night and he asked me about the speed factor. like MB, i have noticed its really hard to slow down from high speeds w/o losing control of your car. its almost like the emergency brake is being applied when you lift off the gas and start coasting...didnt the old ver. do this too? or maybe its certain cars... but now, with such high speeds its a little crazy. need more braking from the front brakes it seems (if possible) ;)

rabbit/kball/ctf's games are going to take a big hit from car damage.... maybe some heal pods in maps???? or tone down damage scale?????? or generate turbo faster????

Malibu Barbie
15th Mar 2006, 08:28 AM
Hey someone try the pos van on Midnight Air...i always found it did best on that map...never bumped or snagged..Not anymore. The only vehicles that can get around the map now are the monster trucks, and even those hit quite a few invisible obstacles from time to time, mostly in the middle of the turns.

$n][pErMan
15th Mar 2006, 10:46 AM
steve and i ran some laps last night and he asked me about the speed factor. like MB, i have noticed its really hard to slow down from high speeds w/o losing control of your car. its almost like the emergency brake is being applied when you lift off the gas and start coasting...didnt the old ver. do this too? or maybe its certain cars... but now, with such high speeds its a little crazy. need more braking from the front brakes it seems (if possible) ;)

rabbit/kball/ctf's games are going to take a big hit from car damage.... maybe some heal pods in maps???? or tone down damage scale?????? or generate turbo faster????
Ya .. the more I play the beta the more I start noticing it. I will go very fast on the stright away... then let off the gas to coast around a turn or prepare for a turn, but instead of slowing down, as soon as I slightly touch the wheel I spin out :( I agree that could use some tweaking. However, I do think the turbo is nice now. Not only is it fast, but so fast that using it constantly will surely lose you the race because you will crash :p

Malibu Barbie
15th Mar 2006, 11:09 AM
[pErMan']I will go very fast on the stright away... then let off the gas to coast around a turn or prepare for a turn, but instead of slowing down, as soon as I slightly touch the wheel I spin out

And if you use mouse steering like I do, then you don't even need to touch the wheel. Just lift off the gas and the car spins. This only happens with the very fast cars and at the very top speeds. Formula Racer 2 is the most prone to do it. With the Fomula Racer it is somewhat controlable, but not at the very top speeds. With the WildFish II you can turn it into a power-slide, but it takes some good timing, which can be hard to do on a tight race.

stevenhorton
15th Mar 2006, 09:27 PM
Jeep and I found a few more little problems tonight. If two vehicles resume at the same time, one will blow up and end up dead on the track. We both crashed UT a few times with the get shader material error.

JamesBong
15th Mar 2006, 09:37 PM
Jeep and I found a few more little problems tonight. If two vehicles resume at the same time, one will blow up and end up dead on the track. We both crashed UT a few times with the get shader material error.
yeah i had some errors rendering some stuff tonight. flush command seems to work at times though.

heres one for what its worth....

Failed to find function RenderTexture in MapVoteCountMultiColumnListBox
Package.MapVoteCountMultiColumnListBox

History: UScriptedTexture::Get <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetShaderMaterial <-
FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterial <- USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <-
FDynamicActor::Render <- RenderLevel <- UWRL-TrainRace.myLevel <-
FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <-
UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <-
UGameEngine::Tick <- Level UWRL-TrainRace <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <-
FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 10910191 0 FArray <-
FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

another was.....
Failed to find function RenderTexture in UWGMainMenu None

still fun.... lookout now.... steve is onto the mousesteering secrets ;) :D

$n][pErMan
15th Mar 2006, 10:08 PM
still fun.... lookout now.... steve is onto the mousesteering secrets ;) :D
Ha... dont make me hook up my stearing wheel I use for NFS:MW ;)

Shrimp
16th Mar 2006, 12:05 AM
Most important requirement needed: option to turn reflections off ;) :p.

JamesBong
16th Mar 2006, 11:00 AM
The slow motion doesn't happen in multiplayer for obvious reasons.

Oh, okay. That makes more sense. For a second there I thought it would also heppen in multiplayer, which would mean a lot of people doing whatever possible to avoid the jumps! :)

forgot to mention, steve and i ran the Industry][ map and at that one/only jump/dropoff the game switches to that fixed cam beneath the car and switches back when you land. i was a bit ahead of steve and just had made the jump, so i decided to wait up for him at the landing spot and remembered you guys posting about this.... steve said his camera switched over as well. now, whether it was slo-mo or not, i thought it looked slower than reg. game speed. maybe its map specific ???? i dont know... maybe another thing to look into. :cool: :)

ps... is Jack in on the test? wheres he been? be nice to have more than 2 people on the servers at a time.... (read, wrecker test)

Malibu Barbie
16th Mar 2006, 11:18 AM
is Jack in on the test? wheres he been? be nice to have more than 2 people on the servers at a time.... (read, wrecker test)
At what times have youse folk been playing? I was there last night for the mid-week burnout, switching between the two servers until pretty late, but nobody showed-up.

JamesBong
16th Mar 2006, 12:41 PM
At what times have youse folk been playing? I was there last night for the mid-week burnout, switching between the two servers until pretty late, but nobody showed-up.

steve and i were on @ 8:30ish to 10:30ish mostly on jerdaygo's, as steve was lagging bad on snipes....

another thing we noticed on snipes server is, the cars position updates is jumpy. as in going down the track, and someones around you, he almost dissapears and reapears in nano seconds (blinky position updates or packet loss)....but F6 wasnt showing P/L..... kinda like being on 56k :(

hope to get on tonight. i dont know yet

stevenhorton
16th Mar 2006, 09:35 PM
More testing by Jeep and i again tonight. I had two crashes with the SetShaderMaterial error. The is the same problem with the loops on Suicide as the roads In MidnightAir; almost impossible to get up them. We raced Hilltop and never were able to get past the first lap. ProdjectX, I like Silverrock2, but the tires that stick out into the road are a big snag.

Malibu Barbie
16th Mar 2006, 10:28 PM
The is the same problem with the loops on Suicide as the roads In MidnightAir; almost impossible to get up them.

That's funny. I managed on the first try. Just slow down a bit, and its no problem.

Malibu Barbie
17th Mar 2006, 07:44 AM
Okay, found a bug. If you are using mouse steering, you cannot use first-person view. If do do, the front wheels will turn all the way to either side when you're trying to go straight. Also, the turbo's shaking effect doesn't work in first-person view.

Malibu Barbie
17th Mar 2006, 09:55 AM
That's funny. I managed on the first try. Just slow down a bit, and its no problem.
Okay, I tried it again last night using the Formula Racer, and yes, it does get stuck on the loop a bit. Its not like what happes in MidnightAir, since it doesn't cause any damage to the car when you get stuck like MidnightAir does now. And it is possible to get around, just not very smoothly.

When I did the course earlier, I was driving the WildFish II, and that one made the loop.

JamesBong
17th Mar 2006, 10:39 AM
If you are using mouse steering, you cannot use first-person view. If do do, the front wheels will turn all the way to either side when you're trying to go straight..

i think the last version did this as well. hence behindview/mouse steer go hand in hand... and there is 1 cam mode thats almost impossible to use while behindview/mouse steer (your car always wants to turn left or something) i think its the 'float cam'? it doesnt move fast enough and if you hit something, your waiting for cam to reposition behind the car. sound familiar Steve? heheh deja-vuuuu :D :D

PrimalInstinct
17th Mar 2006, 12:44 PM
Okay, found a bug. If you are using mouse steering, you cannot use first-person view. If do do, the front wheels will turn all the way to either side when you're trying to go straight.
This alway's happens to me in MSU version,but i assumed it was because i zoom my way in to 1st person from 3rd.

stevenhorton
17th Mar 2006, 04:02 PM
Malibu Barbie, have you used the right lane loop? That is the one i had the problems with last night. When you get about a quarter of the way up, you hit a hard spot, and I couldn't get past that.

Malibu Barbie
17th Mar 2006, 04:20 PM
Malibu Barbie, have you used the right lane loop?
Oh, do you actually expect me to pay attentiion at that?!?!?! :lol:

I'll try it again from both loops, using both cars that I used before, then I'll report back.

Malibu Barbie
18th Mar 2006, 12:31 AM
Little problem with Highwayfromhell2. Low cars going fast sometimes are not seen by the checkpoints. I'm doing that map in the well-under-one-minute range on the Formula car, but sometimes I can go 5 or 6 laps at this pace without officially compleating a single lap. It tends to happen on any of the gates between the big bridge just before the tight right downhill turn and the finish line.

JamesBong
18th Mar 2006, 10:19 PM
just an observation.
f1 cars on monsterchallenge map take very little damage (even less than the monster truck):rolleyes: should certain maps not allow the choice of even taking out certain vehicles??? :hmm: i mean an f1 on a 4x4 track lol :umno:

$n][pErMan
18th Mar 2006, 10:35 PM
just an observation.
f1 cars on monsterchallenge map take very little damage (even less than the monster truck):rolleyes: should certain maps not allow the choice of even taking out certain vehicles??? :hmm: i mean an f1 on a 4x4 track lol :umno:
Interesting.... I have noticed that but more in wrecker. It seems sometimes the smaller car will beat the larger car even if the larger car is a huge truck :p I suppose thats good tho IMO because it will keep everyone from using the same car all of the time to win.

stevenhorton
20th Mar 2006, 07:13 AM
A couple of new problems, when the records, or lack of new records, is reported, when 2 players are in it reports twice for only one player, rather than giving a message for each player. The problem I had with race record reporting is also on Snipers server. Malibu was on last night when I got a record on Trainrace, but it hasn't been reported to this site, even though it said said in game it was a record. I would guess at least half of the scores don't show.
I hope we don't have to get rid of the realtime reflections, I am really getting to like them:)

stevenhorton
23rd Mar 2006, 02:06 PM
Had an interesting error last night. After UT crashed I rejoined to find myself still there, and still driving my original vehicle around in circles. I was actually there twice, and with two vehicles:P The problem with the loops on SUICIDE is the mouse steering; I toggled it of right before the loop and ending building and had no problems. With mouse steering my vehicle drives all over the place:(

PrimalInstinct
23rd Mar 2006, 02:45 PM
The problem with the loops on SUICIDE is the mouse steering; I toggled it of right before the loop and ending building and had no problems. With mouse steering my vehicle drives all over the place:(I've always had this issue in MSU-weird steering control on loops and end building...I always mouse steer.

JamesBong
23rd Mar 2006, 03:14 PM
The problem with the loops on SUICIDE is the mouse steering; I toggled it off right before the loop and ending building and had no problems. With mouse steering my vehicle drives all over the place

hummmm, no wonder im stuck at the loops while you guys are at the finish line 95% of the time :P

Malibu Barbie
23rd Mar 2006, 03:15 PM
The problem with the loops on SUICIDE is the mouse steering; I toggled it of right before the loop and ending building and had no problems.That's what I do.

stevenhorton
23rd Mar 2006, 05:10 PM
I kind of hate to say this, because I like the Formula cars; but, they make UnWheel more unbalanced and unfair than it was before. I really think these cars should be restricted to the high speed tracks; they work far to well on truck maps, and are the fastest of the vehicles. I wouldn't want their speed decreased, just the number of maps where they could be used.

BTW, I love the way the records page works, where everyones personal records display, instead of just the all time records;)

ProjectX
24th Mar 2006, 11:13 AM
I kind of hate to say this, because I like the Formula cars; but, they make UnWheel more unbalanced and unfair than it was before. I really think these cars should be restricted to the high speed tracks; they work far to well on truck maps, and are the fastest of the vehicles. I wouldn't want their speed decreased, just the number of maps where they could be used.

BTW, I love the way the records page works, where everyones personal records display, instead of just the all time records;)

maybe tocfix it we can get it so damage affects them much more? that way the more reckless they drive over the bumps in truck-maps, the slower they'll go

$n][pErMan
24th Mar 2006, 06:45 PM
maybe tocfix it we can get it so damage affects them much more? that way the more reckless they drive over the bumps in truck-maps, the slower they'll go
THe problem with this is that you will have to go back and redo like half the maps. Right now as it is... on some maps you can help it as the map will for no reason seem to have a huge invisable bump in it.

Shrimp
25th Mar 2006, 03:42 PM
Perhaps a better option would be to assign a 'class' to each vehicle. Basically grouping them.

You could have:

- Trucks
- Rally
- Racing
- Formula 1

Or something. Some stuff, like the Quar, SmarModile, POS Car and Van, may be a bit difficult to categorise however. On the other hand, categorisation could be done based on speed/handeling performance, and have stuff like "Class A", "Class B", etc.

Perhaps give mappers and server admins control over which classes are allowed in maps.

For existing maps, it probably wouldn't be too bad if we just coded in a list of existing maps and matching allowed classes.

:con:

$n][pErMan
25th Mar 2006, 04:30 PM
Perhaps a better option would be to assign a 'class' to each vehicle. Basically grouping them.

You could have:

- Trucks
- Rally
- Racing
- Formula 1

Or something. Some stuff, like the Quar, SmarModile, POS Car and Van, may be a bit difficult to categorise however. On the other hand, categorisation could be done based on speed/handeling performance, and have stuff like "Class A", "Class B", etc.

Perhaps give mappers and server admins control over which classes are allowed in maps.

For existing maps, it probably wouldn't be too bad if we just coded in a list of existing maps and matching allowed classes.

:con:
Classes of cars would be a great idea (and help new people pick the car they need). Also, I would allow all classes by default and let admins decide if they want to block anything (for example I have the centipeed blocked for racing). However some maps like "Monster Truck Rally" should be an only truck type map and race cars should NOT be able to win. Stuff like that to allow the use of more of the cars so everyone is not using the same one all the time. :)

ProjectX
26th Mar 2006, 06:21 AM
[pErMan']Classes of cars would be a great idea (and help new people pick the car they need). Also, I would allow all classes by default and let admins decide if they want to block anything (for example I have the centipeed blocked for racing). However some maps like "Monster Truck Rally" should be an only truck type map and race cars should NOT be able to win. Stuff like that to allow the use of more of the cars so everyone is not using the same one all the time. :)
maybe let the mapper specify a 'default' and then let the admin override if he or she feels that it is necessary?

$n][pErMan
26th Mar 2006, 11:55 AM
maybe let the mapper specify a 'default' and then let the admin override if he or she feels that it is necessary?
Good idea... the mapper would (should) know what would be best for the map. :)

JamesBong
30th Mar 2006, 11:33 AM
how much more time and feedback are we expected to give? sorry ive never beta tested anything before this.
it seems like everyone was gungho at first and most put in our 2cents about bugs,map bugs and stuff.... but now seems at a stand still. is there behind the scenes PM's going back and forth with the dev's and mappers? what more is expected i guess i am trying to say. just wondering.....

Shrimp
30th Mar 2006, 11:46 PM
:)

Whenever I work on UnWheel for any length of time, I tend to neglect everything else. So after getting something on UnWheel 'done', I go back to catch up with other stuff for a while. Guess I'm just bad at multi-tasking.

Anyway, from this weekend I'm back on UnWheel full time :p.

$n][pErMan
7th Apr 2006, 06:50 PM
So ya .. whats the status of this new version? Still hard at work fixing all he little bugs we found? :)

Shrimp
9th Apr 2006, 04:30 AM
Erm, little bugs? :p

Anyway, yes, working on it ;)

$n][pErMan
9th Apr 2006, 12:04 PM
Erm, little bugs? :p

Anyway, yes, working on it ;)
Is it safe to assume we will see another beta round after you fix the bugs we found?? One last test to make sure everything checks out would be a good idea IMO ;)

stevenhorton
17th Apr 2006, 09:31 PM
Jack, Jeep and I were loading Supercross when I got this error; "UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 1914 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (8198)

Failed to find function RenderTexture in GUIVertScrollBar Package.GUIVertScrollBar

History: UScriptedTexture::Get <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetShaderMaterial <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterial <- USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- FActorSceneNode::Render <- UCanvas::DrawActor <- UCanvas::execDrawActor <- (UWGUI4CarSelect Package.UWGUI4CarSelect @ Function UnWheel.UWGUI4CarSelect.InternalDraw : 00B7) <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (UWGUI4CarSelect Package.UWGUI4CarSelect, Function UnWheel.UWGUI4CarSelect.InternalDraw) <- UObject::ProcessDelegate <- UGUIMultiComponent::DrawControls <- (UWGUI4CarSelect Package.UWGUI4CarSelect) <- GUIMultiComponent::Draw <- (UWGUI4CarSelect Package.UWGUI4CarSelect) <- GUIPage::Draw <- (UWGUI4CarSelect Package.UWGUI4CarSelect) <- GUIController::NativePostRender <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessPostRender <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level UWRC-SuperCross <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 10910191 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free".

JamesBong
25th Apr 2006, 07:29 AM
i think i noticed if you set a record with the 'wildfish', the in-game record browser displays 'wildfish2' was used to set it.... while the out-of-game records page displays correctly as the 'wildfish' was used. ;)

Shrimp
26th Apr 2006, 06:44 AM
Updated beta coming this weekend... ;)