[NEWS] Every map in UT2007 will be set on the same planet

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
OK, read this this morning in PCZone UK, who had a bunch of (old) screenshots and a one paragraph section on UT2007. I don't have a copy to scan, so if a UK PCZone reader can confirm, that'd be great. The thing that caught my attention was this (not a direct quote, but it's what was said):

Every map in UT2007 will be set on the same planet.

Am I the only one thinking that this is an awful idea? I think that nails map variety at a stroke? Sure, you can have a fair ammount of variety, but it means that it automatically limits the cariety you can have in the maps and themes. Which is a truly bad idea. One of the great parts about the original UT was the sheer variety of the locations. UT200x dropped that by limiting the maps to a small number of planets (one for each "race" in the game). Now it's down to one planet it seems. Apparently this is being done to bring more cohesion to the game. All I can see it doing is limiting the scope even further.

Epic are now officially worrying me.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
You can have vastly different architecture on a single planet. (witness our own). I guess the skybox is the only thing that might have to be remotely similar, though there are plenty of variations on that.

That doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, I could care less what planet the maps are on - as long as they play well and look good.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
You could have night, day, and dawn I think. Plus theres going to be lava maps and everything as well. Oh and btw, since when does one planet = no variety, it could be some alien planet with different atmospheres on every side and 5 moons and a blue sun, or perhaps 2 suns (one each side). Also, maybe one of the sides of the planet will have a red sky for like RedPlanet. *cough*ex. Jupiter*cough*

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
It's not the idea, the what's the idea might mean.

I don't mean that it'll mean no variety, I'm just worried that it'll overly limit the scope. Epic are nice with the shiny, so I'd hope they'll be able to make that a positive and not a negative. But only time will tell, so we'll have to see.

I just hope E3 brings good things.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
The lava map and Deck are confirmed, so it seems they're going in the right direction for now.

Last edited:

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
All it might do is limit stock maps, not user made ones. Mappers could create their own little battlefield on some far off world if they wanted. I don't see this affecting the game or it's variety too much.

Plus Bullet10k made a good point about the alien world scenario. So don't worry too much on the subject... Well just yet at least ;).

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm sure if they try hard they can come up with a way to implement a floating pyramid, a fetid sewer, some sort of eternal cave, possibly a sub pen, at least some kind of command center, something a little dreary, perhaps a factory with a conveyor, a monastery on a floating precipice, and most definitely some sort of floating ship.

See what I mean? ;)

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
It's only a dream, it's only a dream...

hal said:
I'm sure if they try hard they can come up with a way to implement a floating pyramid, a fetid sewer, some sort of eternal cave, possibly a sub pen, at least some kind of command center, something a little dreary, perhaps a factory with a conveyor, a monastery on a floating precipice, and most definitely some sort of floating ship.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I've come to the conclusion that Selerox will be sceptical, and worry about any new info he get's on this game.

Even the explanation for morpheus made it so it could be on whatever planet.

No more tokara (oh no).

Oh, and fetid would be lame without the ripper, much like agony, and grinder.

...and maybe, just maybe, if there are no submarines, I'll play CTF. Let it die people, let it die.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yuo will see teh same planet all teh time yo. it's leik cool becuse averary one will use the stock looking moon. And the same stastic mehses, yo.

Vault

May 29, 2005
does this mean no more Face? Phobos? Torlan? Dawn?

other than that, i thinks it's a great idea

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
Bullet10k said:
The lava map and Deck are confirmed, so it seems they're going in the right direction for now.
im sorry but... rehashing deck, a map that has sucked since uhh... unreal 1, yet again is not a step in the right direction imo.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
-AEnubis- said:
I've come to the conclusion that Selerox will be skeptical, and worry about any new info he gets on this game.

Even the explanation for Morpheus made it so it could be on whatever planet.

No more Tokara (oh no).

Oh, and Fetid would be lame without the ripper, much like Agony, and Grinder.

...And maybe, just maybe, if there are no submarines, I'll play CTF. Let it die people, let it die.
Seriously. The UT2kx November and December were horrible, lets just hope we don't get February and March in UT2007 :lol:.

We need New classics, not old ones; community mappers make enough conversions to tide me over indefinitely.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Hope for the best. Fear for the worst.

-AEnubis- said:
I've come to the conclusion that Selerox will be sceptical, and worry about any new info he get's on this game.

Only because I don't want the game to suck. I worry, it's something I do a lot of. I don't want the new UT to turn into another UT2003.

I hope the game rocks, but I don't have an awful lot of faith in Epic in certain areas.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
My first thought when i saw this was the same as Sel.
It feels like the maps will lose the variety im used to when it comes to UT.

Aw well, good thing is that this approach doesnt stop them from adding DM-Serpentine.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
The original Unreal was all set on the same planet.

That was pretty varied.

I don't think we have anything to worry about. They're not going to make it a Star Wars planet with one climate over the whole thing or anything. Even if they do, it still has the potential to be interesting, so meh, I'm not worried.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I hope the planet is big as Jupiter, otherwise we won't be able to map anymore for it, the planet will be full :(

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Look to the Future

Kantham said:
I hope the planet is big as Jupiter, otherwise we won't be able to map anymore for it, the planet will be full :(

Maybe that's Epic's idea for the future. One planet full of players, interlinked maps. I'd put cash on it being a future goal for Epic.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Still mappers will make maps that will take place in Space in the sky and on totally different planets, you can count on that, yes some mappers will map ****ty maps, but their will be some great maps to be made and many more to play in!