New screenshots!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
HOLY ****!!

The Hellbender looks kick ass, just like its name!! Sweet, now thats a reason to accualty drive it!:eek: I also like that they shorten it up a bit and made it BIGGER!! Looks real mean!

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Idiots.

Sorry, but is that it?!

Months of nothing, and then we get 5 new screens, which show very little useful information. So we get a look at the Hellbender in the old, tech demo map? Does that give us any info on the actual game? Not a chance. Also, we all know the engine looks good, so showing us stills from the tech demo from the last E3 is a hollow gesture of almost insulting proportions.

Epic and Midway cannot do marketing :tdown:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The visuals are not the problem obviously. The gameplay will probably be but for **** sakes let's play the freaking demo before crying.

The hellbender is awesome. It's just the little skull on the side, i bet it will be team symbols.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
toniglandyl said:
ba i like the hellbender. reasures me that EPIC is really doing an excelent job with vehicle modeling and texturing...
Well actually it just proves the modellers and skinners are doing an excellent job. Definitely my favourite vehicle model we've seen so far, with the Goliath close behind.

I'm with Selerox actually (though I wouldn't have been so heavy with the drama ;P), the fact that most of what we see in these screenshots was only new to us before last E3 is pretty insulting. It says "we have the power to show you anything from our gorgeous little future-gem, but we're only showing you one thing. In nearly a year."

I can see where Midway are coming from, that too much hype can kill anything, but a main issue with the Unreal Tournament series is that not enough people have played it, or are even aware of it- or aren't interested after UT2003. They need to make *sure* those groups of people are going to be exposed to these images (or reassured as to the quality of the gameplay in the case of the latter) and so far it just isn't happening. Also, I'm not so sure the overhyping issue is true of the gaming world (though it certainly is of pretty much every other cultural medium)- good titles tend to do even better for it. UT2003 was saddled with some pretty poor weapon balance/feel and an attempt at a sporty atmosphere, I think the UT franchise would have sunk without trace there and then if it hadn't been for the hype.

Last edited:

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
If you guys remember what Epic said, they are building the maps for GAMEPLAY first then the artists will come in later and pretty it up. Showing screenshots of badly textured blocky looking maps that happen to have awesome gameplay would be very bad marketing to the majority of people. The game is still a long way off, probably dont even have the HUD done.

Hellbender looks mean though. I wonder what the gun on the back is like, looks completely different to the twinbeams.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
EggBoy said:
Hellbender looks mean though. I wonder what the gun on the back is like, looks completely different to the twinbeams.

Probably it's just a single beam. But i'd bet it's a long range turret.

elminsterchu

Apr 16, 2005
btw 5/6 of the original UT2K4's(without ECE) vehicles have been shown
Can't wait to see the leviathan and the power of its BIGGG GUN!

LANCE.xd

Flak Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
The Countdown Node
=Vector= said:
'bout time we got something :D

btw anyone think the new hellbender resembles the bulldog now? looks badass though

Ya i think so too

I guess ECE vehicles will be included, cause they said 9 Axon vehicles

And 9 necris ones. Holy crap i wonder what they'll look like!

1. Goliath
  2. Hellbender
  3. Manta
  4. Scorpion
  5. Raptor
  6. Leviathan
  7. Paladin
  8. SPMA
  9. Cicada

yup that makes 9

I guess they didnt include the phoenix bomber, since there will indeed be a target painter

Last edited:

Lopar-XL

Currently trying to mend my mind, etc.
Jul 8, 2005
USA
profile.imageshack.us
Oh Epic and Midway sure now how to tease us UT fans. ;)

=Vector= said:
'bout time we got something :D

btw anyone think the new hellbender resembles the bulldog now? looks badass though

Yeah, I noticed that too. It also reminds me of a miniaturized version of the Mobile Construction Vehicle from Command & Conquer.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Selerox said:
Months of nothing, and then we get 5 new screens

Nope, only 2 new ones of the hellbender, the other three are almost a year old, they're from a techdemo from last year's game conferences.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
I don't really care for the Hellbenders' design, looks too much like an over sized scorpion to me. They should have gave it more of a defined shape in the front.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Rk. said:
I am a little disappointed on the hellbender:\

sanstitre3lq.png