what the hell is he thinking??!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GoAt

Never wrong
Nov 3, 2001
USA
Visit site
now wait, are they taking over all operations concerning those terminals? or are they just sitting there collecting money on things like docking fees and what-nots

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
Tell me this crap doesn’t have anything to do with money (power) and control behind the scenes from the people who actually control what goes on in the world?

I would just like to point out a few things, starting with the headline:
================================================

“Bush unaware of port deal until after approval”
If you believe that one, I have a bridge I’d like to sell you. They say: “Senior officials were expected to explain at a press conference Wednesday what persuaded them to approve the deal, the first-ever sale involving U.S. port operations to a foreign, state-owned company.”

So let me get this straight. Senior officials knew about and approved the deal, but the most senior official of them all, the president, was left out of it. The most senior official didn’t know squat until after the fact.

So, I guess those senior officials either knew how bush would vote or they told him that he’s voting this way whether he wants to or not…because:
“Defending his decision, Bush responded to a chorus of objections”

=============================================

Now consider this tidbit:
"A senior Homeland Security official, Stewart Baker, said U.S. intelligence agencies were consulted “very early on to actually look at vulnerabilities and threats.”

But listen to this:
“Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, and Rep. Jane Harman, D-Calif., said they would introduce a “joint resolution of disapproval” when they returned to Washington next week. Collins heads the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee”

In one sentence, they are saying a senior homeland security official knew about all this and looked into vulnerabilities. In the next sentence, the HEAD of Senate Homeland Security is going to try and stop this nonsense. So was the head of security kept in the dark? Did she know and voice disapproval, but they told her everything would be secure and to shut the hell up?

“Bush on Tuesday brushed aside objections by leaders in the Senate and House that the $6.8 billion sale could raise risks of terrorism at American ports.”

What are these people doing heading homeland security if their concerns are brushed off? What the hell are we paying them for?

===============================================

This next one is a real winner:
“Treasury Secretary Snow said failure to complete the transaction would send the wrong message overseas.”

So, we can invade a country that didn’t attack us, overthrow their government, kill their children on the street, profess it’s because they have WMD even though they don’t………and this doesn’t send the wrong message overseas? Now all of a sudden we’re worried about sending the wrong message.

We listen to bush tell us that a country is a threat because they house and give aid to our enemy and that makes them an enemy as well. Then they do a 180 and throw this in our faces:

“Lawmakers from both parties have noted that some of the Sept. 11 hijackers used the United Arab Emirates as an operational and financial base. In addition, critics contend the United Arab Emirates was an important transfer point for shipments of smuggled nuclear components sent to Iran, North Korea and Libya by a Pakistani scientist.”

So now those people who have harbored and aided our enemy are cool. It’s now okay to accept those we turned against.

=================================================

How about this one:

“A senior executive from Dubai Ports World pledged the company would agree to whatever security precautions the U.S. government demanded to salvage the deal.”

When they come with the rubber gloves on to do cavity searches, these people are just going to bend over and cooperate. Yeah, right.

==================================================

Who is the voice of the people? Our Senators and Congressmen are our voice. They are supposed to listen to their constituents and reflect the views of the people who make up our nation. With all this disapproval, if bush goes on record saying he’s going to go against the voice of the people, what does that tell us about him as a president? The following statement demonstrates this:

“Rep. Jim Saxton, R-N.J., also indicated Bush faced a serious struggle. "Frankly, I think we can override a veto. We have more than enough votes to do it," he said.”

More than enough votes. This says the majority of the people don’t want this to take place. This says that bush is ignoring what the majority of the people want. Bush is supposed to represent the majority of the population. He’s doing just the opposite. Tell me he doesn’t have his own agenda.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
OPENING QUIP

SUGGESTION TO GET INFORMED

OPENING CONTRADICTORY ARGUMENT

REFERENCE TO LITTLE KNOWN DOCUMENTS AND QUOTES

ARGUMENT REFERENCING THOSE ARTICLES

PRAISE FOR BUSH

SUGGESTION THAT LIBERALS ARE ALL NAZIS

END POST

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
I heard a pro-con thing on a news flash and the con guy said that these ports have a very secret security procedure and that allowing this event to happen would mean letting the Arabs in on these secrets. He said allowing an outside country in on such secrets is a very bad idea.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
This administration has had blunder after blunder. They keep comming and someone keeps defending them.

On the bright side, the daily show has been kicking ass. Thx Bush for the material!

GoAt

Never wrong
Nov 3, 2001
USA
Visit site
where is Captain Conservative Cat-Fuzz to come to Bush's rescue and defend teh bush?

and im still trying to figure out exactly what it is the UAE will be doing.

the media wants to say TOTAL control including security
some radio people say they are just leasing out dock space, fees
and random people want to blame global warming.

darth_weasel

I won
Apr 20, 2002
UK
darth-weasel.tripod.com
It's business. I wouldn't think that because the company is of Arab origin that suddenly your ports will be getting flooded with suicide bomber types. Plenty of parts of governmental infrastructure are privitized in many countries. In practise almost nothing changes in such situations: Plain Bob on the ground keeps the same job, the service operates as before, it's just a different organization picking up the finances.

darth_weasel said:
It's business. I wouldn't think that because the company is of Arab origin that suddenly your ports will be getting flooded with suicide bomber types. Plenty of parts of governmental infrastructure are privitized in many countries. In practise almost nothing changes in such situations: Plain Bob on the ground keeps the same job, the service operates as before, it's just a different organization picking up the finances.

I hear you man, I really do.

If I was living in Australia or Canada right now I may hear about this thing and not feel the prejudice. But the fact is that I'm not living there, I'm living here. After every foul up these guys have done since this retard has been in office, there's no way I can read something like this and not feel pissed off and utterly betrayed yet again by the government who is supposed to be protecting me. The truth of the matter is that I do not want ANY organization from an Arab country running ANY security business anywhere near where I live, where my family lives, where my girlfriend and her family lives, and where my friends live.

Call me a racist. Call me insensitive. Call me whatever. You could taste the ash in the air from the collapse of the World Trade Towers in Long Island on 9/11. The people who did this did not come from a country, they came from an ideology that sweeps that region. I sympathize with any innocent person over there who has gotten themselves swept up in this nonsense. But I don't think I or the people sharing my opinion on this can be called unreasonable for not wanting anyone but the U.S. defending our ports. And maybe Japan, they have ninjas.

And on top of all of that, I have a bit of an issue with a "business" of any kind in charge of my nation's security. Call me outlandish for thinking some business or corporation doesn't have my best interests at heart.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
darth_weasel said:
It’s business in that bush and his buddies aren’t making enough money.

You have to consider the big picture. One of the main excuses bush was using to show force in countries was that they harbored or helped terrorists. He said that made them a threat as well. But Arab states help the terrorist movement as I mentioned more specifically in my earlier post.

He says these people who help our enemy are threats as well, yet he allows these threats to take over key docking areas. The flooding of New Orleans created a major problem because a large percentage of shipping comes and goes from there.

There’s also the point made that we’ve never sold our docks before to foreign countries, and that the secret security measures will now be known to a foreign country. These measures help keep us safe and bush has been trying to persuade the population since 911 that he’s doing everything to make the US safer. Well, passing along very secret security information to a country that has harbored terrorists is doing exactly the opposite he said he’s doing.

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
QUALTHWAR said:
I heard a pro-con thing on a news flash and the con guy said that these ports have a very secret security procedure and that allowing this event to happen would mean letting the Arabs in on these secrets. He said allowing an outside country in on such secrets is a very bad idea.

An outside company? like, say, the british?
*cough*
BBC said:
Dubai Ports World had been set to take over ports from New York to New Orleans by buying UK firm P&O.

Last edited: