Frag.Ops Update

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zenny

I'm gonna steal your girlfriend.
Mar 14, 2003
Washington DC
SquirrelZero of Frag.Ops fame has posted on the mod's site officially announcing that the UT2004 version of their mod is dead; however, the team has not stopped working completely. They are working full steam on their retail product with the Reality Engine
and expect to post the first images in the next few weeks. Below are a few interviews he has conducted about the new project. Now on to the coolest bit of the update, SquirralZero plans to release the source code of the mod to the community in hopes that a "community version" of the mod will arise.

CSports
GameShrine

May 12, 2005
You, the BU guys need to write a post mortem on this mod.

This mod was great however. There are too many mods like this that have a small but deticated playerbase.

We need more people to play this, AND we need to fix the bugs. I saw too many bugs when I played

The gameplay was really topnotch though.

Arnage

Nov 14, 2005
Mr. UglyPants said:
Whats the Reality engine?

Isn't that the one that got bought by epic because they wanted to hire the main guy behind it and the only way to get him onboard was to buy the whole engine?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
yep ... that one. Which makes me really wonder how Frag.Ops will continue. Sure they get the sources for the engine, but I really wonder what the support is like with that engine being near-death as well.

SquirrelZero

Apr 5, 2003
frag-ops.fragwhored.com
Actually, what Epic bought was essentially the right to continue selling licenses. It hasn't affected support much at all. The most major change was losing Tim, the engine's creator, but as it turns out Jeremy and Mostafa, two of the other engine programmers, have been very capable when it comes to support. A lot of people paid for multi-year support bids, and Epic couldn't legally tell Artificial not to fulfill them. The engine has continued development and is still being updated today. The idea that it would die when Epic bought it scared a lot of us, but as it turns out, that's not the case.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
but what if those support-bids run out ?
I mean ... it's not like your team will have enough money to keep that kind of support for as long as you'd like, unless you hope to achieve some kind of commercial succes before that happens.

SquirrelZero

Apr 5, 2003
frag-ops.fragwhored.com
What kind of support are we talking about here? The engine is production-ready and has been for about a year now. Aside from bugfixing, which we do a lot of ourselves, anything that gets added at this point is mostly just additional features not really necessary to bring games to completion. But some teams do have support bids that will last for years. From the looks of things, engine development won't stop anytime before we finish our first title, and even if it did we'd be more than capable of maintaining it ourselves. Aside from all this, licensees also contribute code back into the engine source base. You'd be surprised by how much gets done when you've got a dozen programmers from various companies working on it.

So really, the only thing that's changed since the buyout is licensing and the absence of Tim. There's nothing to worry about :).