Unreal 2: XMP Master Server Online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Say What? An Unreal 2 XMP news story? Master Server... online? Yup, it's true. A recent forum post in our very own forums has revealed that, while in Beta stages, this plans to stay up, and remain up, for good!
Most of todays game servers are allready uplinking to it,
plus some new (since you can now uplink again yaay). Current
uplink count is passed 40,000 and query count is passed 400.
Updates of the server are being done daily and we have plans
for setting up new dedicated servers on different locations
as needed.
Full details on what to edit in your INI, or even a tool that will do this automatically, are available in the thread posted above. Rejoice, XMP fans - you have a new home!

Last edited:

leafo

spoiled toothpaste
Mar 29, 2005
I did not realize this game was so popular. Should pick up and play again sometime.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Im guessing it is for the full version of the game. The demo server are still down right?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I don't have U2, i sell it it was a horrible game. There is a XMP demo avalible, about 225 MB.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Unreal 2 wasn't a horrible game, by any stretch.

It just wasn't really worthy of the Unreal name.

If it were named anything else, it probably would've sold well, but people were expecting Unreal from the name and they really didn't get it.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
No, it would have ended the same way as Pariah did. Pariah is even better anyway.

T

[TBC]zephyr

Why are people that know nothing about the game allowed to post? :eek:

T

[TBC]zephyr

Were not talking about Unreal 2... were talking about XMP. The only similarity the game has to Unreal 2 is some of the weapons - thats about it.
The thing that makes it a great game is the expansive Gameplay, i doubt there is a game that lets you do as many things in-game as XMP does.
And anyway, XMP should not be compared to the demo version.

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
There is a repackaged Unreal 2 including XMP, which is a bit more recent than the original version, so it could cost a bit more, never saw it myself.
I also saw a shiny UT2004/U2 combo pack in the shops a month or so ago, which I didn't even knew would be made until then.
Being somewhat recent and all, I think, it still cost enough to make people think about it.

To play legally without spending much money, just find the original, hand over a few loose Euros, and do the download afterwards.

KeithZG

will forever be nostalgic
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
I think it goes without saying that one could find ways to download the game without owning U2 original, too. In other words, there are a million different ways to get it, be they legit or semi-legit or illegit. So not even the moral-less pirates have reasons not to play U2XMP ;) But finding a legit copy of U2 shouldn't be much harder than digging around the local bargain bins.

I actually got it myself from a friend who had bought the original game, played through it and then set it on his bookshelf, there to rest forever. It's too bad about the single-player only nature of it, really (insert vague conspiracy theories about pressure from Atari to avoid competition with UT2003), but in my mind Legend more than made up for it when they released XMP. Not only did it feel like the next step in Unreal (instead of, in my not-so humble opinion, the mis-step that was UT2003), but they had managed to accomplish so much in the way of polish for a product that had only a fraction of the resources and time put into it that most actual retail releases do!

For example, the complete overhaul of the engine; I couldn't get U2 or 2003 to run on my old computer, no matter how low I put the settings. But on lowest detail, my P3-600mHz GeForce-1 computer managed to handle the demo admirably! So what if it looked like crap, having that extra computer there for a friend to play together online with from the same room created some of the most memorable gameplay experiences I've ever had, hats off to Legend there! They had that winning combo of tech savvy and gameplay ideas, which seems all-too-rare nowadays (most of the time it's a tradeoff).

I wonder what they would have done next if Atari hadn't shut them down? Anyone know where they ended up? (I seem to recall a bunch of them being hired by Epic soonafter, but I'm not sure if that's my memory lying to me or not).

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Agreed. I thought the pacing was right until the very end. The final level seemed really like Legend ran out of time/budget and decided to cut the story and zip right to the end.

Also, the game really needed a lot of horsepower to run at a good visual quality, which wasn't really available at the time. Probably equivalent to the Doom3 launch, if it had happened maybe 6 months - 1 year earlier.

Finally, did anyone else laugh when they found out Doom 3 had a sprint meter?

Unreal 2 still holds a place in my heart for the best sniper rifle and rocket launcher I've ever seen. That and some of the weirdest alien technology in a game.

Dark Pulse said:
Unreal 2 wasn't a horrible game, by any stretch.

It just wasn't really worthy of the Unreal name.

If it were named anything else, it probably would've sold well, but people were expecting Unreal from the name and they really didn't get it.