GTA mod

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KiLLaH

Oct 20, 2005
New Hampshire
i wanna make a gta like game on the unreal engine
iam learning how to work with it right now but i need moddlers and scripters and level desginers tell me if you think this is a good idea

Xafixe79

UTCMP Skinner
Sep 10, 2005
Most of you guys here are jerks and have no respect for any new member :mad: he wants to see a game on the unreal engine so whats it to you? just becuz you might not want it doesnt mean he or someone else doesnt! If you dont have anything nice or cunstructive to post then you shouldnt post at all! Nobody wants their thread filled with crap like your post! :mad:

Killah you want it for ut2004 or the old Unreal engine? I can try to help out in any way i can.
Need a forum?

Klasnic_E

Inevitable
Oct 13, 2005
Crappy people like this lurk the mod recruiting forum all the time, looking for new mod recruiters, or people with big-ideas, they're just jealous of them and want to see to their downfall :( Its ashame, But KillaH i would help you in any way i can also :)

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Even if his intentions are good, there's a certain way a person should go about trying to propose a mod. Presenting a design document, however small, would help. Not to mention exactly what skills the thread starter himself can bring to the mod (are you a modeller, mapper?) will also help to give people faith in his request. A little information, which is not here, would go a long way.

Also, I think the mod you guys were thinking of is field of fire.

http://fieldoffire.net/index.php

Though it seems to be borderline dead.

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
Vincent79 said:
Most of you guys here are jerks and have no respect for any new member :mad: he wants to see a game on the unreal engine so whats it to you? just becuz you might not want it doesnt mean he or someone else doesnt! If you dont have anything nice or cunstructive to post then you shouldnt post at all! Nobody wants their thread filled with crap like your post! :mad:

Killah you want it for ut2004 or the old Unreal engine? I can try to help out in any way i can.
Need a forum?
Don't overreact you wuss.

I was just provocing him to tell more about his ideas. He can try to make it if he wants, but I'm just reasoning if it's really worth it. If he's going to add new features and only use the concept of GTA it sounds like a kick-ass idea to me, but if he plans on a total recreation of an already existing GTA than I find it rather BS.

Also, don't generalize people, it sounds so uneducated. Not to mention your post, riddled with bad grammar. That combined with your reaction on three posts makes me judge your age way below that of wich sensibility is forged.
The same goes for Klasnic_E, but I doubt either of you will read this post as too many words must be dazzling to your ages.

And Killah, I'd take interest in Caravaggio's post if I was you. The only way to get people on public forums to help you is to show you'll be able to do a lot of productive work yourselfe and you should really avoid to look like the bigg-boss in his comfy chair dealing out orders.

As for that other mod Caravaggio posted, it's not completely like GTA, but more like a new gametype UT2k7 will use. Either way it might be smart to contact them and try to convince them to make an additive gametype to their mod with more GTA elements like missions, but I'm not sure what you're intention is with this mod you're trying to establish.

I hope you the best of luck with your project and if you wish to leanr a certain skill necessary for modding I'd suggest skinning or 2D artist, all fields other than scripting require a certain degree of an artistic mind, but 2D artist is the easiest to learn IMO.
If you don't have Photoshop to aid you with this skill, than GIMP might be a less expensive, free, alternative.

As for modelling, it's quite a bit of learning, 2k4 has nice resources for it though, like MayaPLE, a free version of Maya wich still enables you to model for 2k4.

And scripting is a tough cookie to master.

The last one is SoundFX and Musician, but those area's are a bit foggy as I've never tried anything with them so far.

EDIT; One other thing, it's usually better and more succesfull to personally (as far as internet allows it) approach people with the skills you need.

Last edited:

Klasnic_E

Inevitable
Oct 13, 2005
I can assure you that i am more educated than you are. Modeling is easy, so is coding.

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
Klasnic_E said:
I can assure you that i am more educated than you are. Modeling is easy, so is coding.
What a mature statement to make of whom you don't know anything other than his point of view regarding modding in general. Coding is too much of a hassle for me, but if you're technical and one who can cram lotsa functions and syntaxes it should suit you.

So, Klasnic_E, you can code and model, good for you. I couldn't care less.

What I do care about is that your post is one of the more off-topic ones in this thread and doesn't help Killah in any possible way. So if you have anymore senseless ranting and cursing to do than PM me with it instead of filling this thread with your immature statements.

Now to get back to killah, what are you going to do and what's your idea for this mod? Elaborated a bit further that is.

Ghost3021

Registered Hobbit
Nov 21, 2004
Behind you.
I don't think XepptizZ was reffering to me :p

Klasnic_E said:
Decent-looking models take hours if not days to make, and as for code, sure it's "easy", but debugging, weeding out ACCESSED : NONEs, and writing really advanced and optimized code takes VERY large sums of time, as well as patience and intelligence.

Don't talk about how easy modelling and coding are untill you produce some real high-quality stuff. ;)

(This is coming from a current coder and ex-modeller/animator)

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Back on topic --

Personally I'm not sure how the UnrealEngine will fair with a GTA style city being how I don't see how the UnrealEngine would handle something designed for the Rock* engine. Seems to me like unless you wish quite a few loadpoints you're not going to get much success without hardcoding. (UnrealEngine3 is designed to accomodate GTA-style maps super-efficiently -- not sure about 2 though)

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
As nice as those games are, the engine Rockstar has been bleeding dry, em, using for the last 3 GTA games has always been pretty sub-par with their blocky structures and universal vertex lighting. Unreal can handle that any day of the week methinks. I mean I wouldn't expect anyone to make an entire map the size of the San Andreas world, simply because were talking about quick team games and not evolving campaigns. Maybe one island in Vice City is more like it.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Caravaggio said:
As nice as those games are, the engine Rockstar has been bleeding dry, em, using for the last 3 GTA games has always been pretty sub-par with their blocky structures and universal vertex lighting. Unreal can handle that any day of the week methinks. I mean I wouldn't expect anyone to make an entire map the size of the San Andreas world, simply because were talking about quick team games and not evolving campaigns. Maybe one island in Vice City is more like it.
Comparing UnrealEngine2 to Rockstar's engine isn't as cut and dry as looking at buildings. It doesn't matter how many polygons you have per building... if you have a few hunred you'd going to end up with a massive load of polygons. If the engine loads all those polygons into RAM as oposed to harddrive streaming based on draw distance the lower end PCs will get choked like a chicken. Sure, if you have like 80FPS in UT2004 you're definitely going to run it fine... but you can't reasonably expect all who own UT2004 to run it.

Now if you care about the mod and not who plays the mod (like I with my UT2007 mod assets) then you're in the clear. Still, having a huge assed UT map in memory even if properly portalled will kill the RAM off most computers.

That's UE3's pitch, being able to split a map into submaps and instead of zoning and portalling -- simply loading maps as needed for the character to walk to/from. (allowing a lot more polygons per map being as the RAM doesn't need to carrying the weight of a map of size 20 minimaps, just the 3 minimaps the engine predicts you could end up on and your own.)

Last edited: