hungry noob requesting help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Defx666

Jan 1, 2006
Hi, im a newb on US i have some basic knowledge and im planning to get some knowledge to create mods
Due to the fact that i learn really fast i would like to start with something big
My idea is to be able to give players the abbility to fly, like a jetpack or something
So, im here asking for directions, where should i start, which classes should i look and so on

Thanks

SuperApe

Registered Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
Inna Jungle
wiki.beyondunreal.com
My advice is to start small no matter how fast you learn. It won't take too long to do one or two smaller mutators or mods.

A place to start: Unreal Wiki

Begining UScript: UnrealScript Topics and UnrealScript Lessons.

Specifics on Modding: Making Mods and Mutator Topics.

Specific Classes to look reguarding Players and a Jetpack item: Pawn and Inventory.

Other sites to bookmark: UDN, UnrealPlayground Forums and (this one) ;)

Oh yeah, and always remember to search all these sites first, just in case you're re-inventing the wheel.

Last edited:

Defx666

Jan 1, 2006
i guess you are right
what i really needed was a teacher
someone that could guide me trough the first steps

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Defx666 said:
i guess you are right
what i really needed was a teacher
someone that could guide me trough the first steps

Self-teaching by generic material is one of life's virtues... haven't you always wanted a virtue? :)

Defx666

Jan 1, 2006
i guess all coders here learned from looking at code
hell then, i wont be different
thx, i feel inspired \o/

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Defx666 said:
i guess all coders here learned from looking at code
hell then, i wont be different
thx, i feel inspired \o/
No, but most learnt from reading tutorials about coding as per UnrealWiki. There's a difference between:

**one-on-one teaching
**looking through results (or sourcecode)
**learning from generic reference material

There's plenty of the latter two around for you to learn from, but one-on-one assistance from already very busy people is probably not going to happen.

SuperApe said:
A place to start: Unreal Wiki

Begining UScript: UnrealScript Topics and UnrealScript Lessons.

Specifics on Modding: Making Mods and Mutator Topics.

Specific Classes to look reguarding Players and a Jetpack item: Pawn and Inventory.

Other sites to bookmark: UDN, UnrealPlayground Forums and (this one) ;)

Oh yeah, and always remember to search all these sites first, just in case you're re-inventing the wheel.
I'm not trying to look like an *******, those really are the best places to learn from. If you have any SPECIFIC questions that you cannot find from UnrealWiki (suchas: My mutator has been compiled and I created the information file -- but its not in my mutator's list, I'm running Brothers in Arms RTH:30 with the latest patch, can you check out my inf file below and tell me what I did wrong? -- just please don't italic it :p ) feel free to ask here.

Last edited:

rich_zap

Jul 18, 2004
Dissapearing into the fog !
Well i have learnt a lot from the wiki also however it can be a little scattered and disorganised... If you want something thats simple and just starts you off with just a few simple commands then you should look here and also this site is invaluable as it contains all the source code for all UT games and it has it well organised with links, its far easier to use than the downloaded source code.

Defx666

Jan 1, 2006
I think i figured out my problem
i need a challenge
please, someone challenge me to do something (small)
something new, that you know you could do, but its just too small
This way ill be motivated

:D

SuperApe

Registered Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
Inna Jungle
wiki.beyondunreal.com
There's no end to mod ideas. You can be overwhelmed by the reponse.
The wiki has a page on Mod Ideas, for example.

After you have followed a couple tutorials, I suggest you come up with an idea of your own (maybe closely related to one of the tutorials, like a new weapon, vehicle, etc.). If not that, try something that won't require several new areas of expertise for you. (if you're not experienced in modeling, don't try something that needs new animation, for example)

Last edited:

rich_zap

Jul 18, 2004
If i were you i would start off by making a custom actor as this teaches a lot about how the base properties in actors work and it is relatively simple to implement without understanding a lot of extended code.

Defx666

Jan 1, 2006
Ok, i finnaly stopped whining and decided to actually do something, im trying to create something like an instant combo that when the player reaches 100 adrenaline it activates SEED mode :hint: ;)
i managed to slowly decrease the adrenaline but i cant display a message when the player reaches 100
im posting the code now

Code:
//-----------------------------------------------------------
//
class SeedMode extends Mutator;

var int AdrenalineDecrease;

// Don't call Actor PreBeginPlay() for Mutator
event PreBeginPlay()
{
    SetTimer(1.0,true);
}

function Timer()
{
    local Controller C;

for (C = Level.ControllerList; C != None; C = C.NextController)
    {
		if (C.Pawn != None && C.Adrenaline < C.AdrenalineMax )
        {
            C.Adrenaline = Min( C.Adrenaline-AdrenalineDecrease, C.AdrenalineMax );
        }
    }
}

function SeedMode()
{
     local Controller C;

{
         if (C.Pawn != None && C.Adrenaline == 100)
         {
            C.Pawn.ClientMessage("Seed Mode (well mot yet =D)");
         }
    }
}

defaultproperties
{
    AdrenalineDecrease=1
    IconMaterialName="MutatorArt.nosym"
    ConfigMenuClassName=""
    GroupName="SEED"
    FriendlyName="SEED mode"
    Description="Seed mode is activated upon reaching 100 adrenaline."
}

Last edited:

rich_zap

Jul 18, 2004
This is what you should have written to display your message:

Code:
PlayerController(C).ClientMessage("Seed Mode (well mot yet =D)");

Theres no point sending messages to bots as they wont have much use for it and you call messages on controllers not pawns. Think of controllers as the mind of a player and th4e pawn as the body, you dont want to send messages to the body, you want to send them to the mind :) .

Also just as a side note, you should indent your functions, it makes it much easier to read, like so:

Code:
//
class SeedMode extends Mutator;

var int AdrenalineDecrease;

// Don't call Actor PreBeginPlay() for Mutator
event PreBeginPlay()
{
        SetTimer(1.0,true);
}

function Timer()
{
        local Controller C;

{
                if (C.Pawn != None && C.Adrenaline < C.AdrenalineMax )
                {
                         C.Adrenaline = Min( C.Adrenaline-AdrenalineDecrease, C.AdrenalineMax );
                }
        }
}

function SeedMode()
{
        local Controller C;

{
              if (C.Pawn != None && C.Adrenaline == 100)
              {
                      PlayerController(C).ClientMessage("Seed Mode (well mot yet =D)");
              }
       }
}

defaultproperties
{
       AdrenalineDecrease=1
       IconMaterialName="MutatorArt.nosym"
       ConfigMenuClassName=""
       GroupName="SEED"
       FriendlyName="SEED mode"
       Description="Seed mode is activated upon reaching 100 adrenaline."
}

Defx666

Jan 1, 2006
must be an issue with copy and paste
i do indent when im writing
wow i sound like a real programer :lol:
btw i would like some ideas on how to make the pawn better when it reraches seed mode
and how to structure the code to do it

Thanks

Last edited:

Defx666

Jan 1, 2006
It still doenst work, when i reach 100 adrenaline the game plays the ADRENALINE!! sound , freezes adrenaline at 100 and doesnt display my message
probably something with the combos dont you think?

rich_zap

Jul 18, 2004
Well im a bit confused about your code for one thing, for a mutator isnt prebeginplay called at the start of the level so adrenaline is being constantly decreased. I thought you wanted it to decrease once you got to 100 adrenaline. Also i dont think there is anything actually calling SeedMode(), unless there is some other code that you arent showing here.

Defx666

Jan 1, 2006
rich_zap said:
Well im a bit confused about your code for one thing, for a mutator isnt prebeginplay called at the start of the level so adrenaline is being constantly decreased. I thought you wanted it to decrease once you got to 100 adrenaline. Also i dont think there is anything actually calling SeedMode(), unless there is some other code that you arent showing here.
I want the adrenaline to constantly decrease,
and what do you mean by calling? sorry i didnt get that

rich_zap

Jul 18, 2004
what do you mean by calling?

Well a function wont just run by itself unless it is a native function that is caled by the engine, PreBeginPlay() is a native function and gets called immediatly before the actor enters play (this could be the start of the level or just before a pawn spawns etc...). You have also told it to SetTimer(1, True) so the timer function will now be run every second repeatedly until told to stop.

Your SeedMode() function is not being told to run however, in no part of your code does it say:

Code:
If( blah == blah )
{
        Seedmode();
}

so all the code within the function SeedMode() is just sitting there not getting called and not getting used.