Unreal Fortress Evolution 1.1 Patch Issued

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A patch is available for beta 1 of Unreal fortress Evolution, bringing the version to beta 1.1.0. Servers are up now, so join in. Some of the changes include:

Flame thrower flame has been corrected.

Access nones cleared up for online play.

Sentry can now see the spy in appropriate stages.

Two new maps added, UNF-SniperWar and a public map by Kaboom called UNF-CTFSpitfire.

Incoming menu now displays team and player information so that you can join a game and not un even the teams.

Auto assign picks a team for you.

Grenades are less 'bouncy'

Some classes have had the maximum grenade amount cut down.

In addition, the team is expanding and is looking for Coders, Mappers, Texture and Skin Artists, Modelers, an Animator, and a Sound Artist.

UNFE|Jason

UNF :E Project leader
Nov 13, 2005
www.unrealfortressevo.com
Dest said:
it's the same as for old ut... atleast that's how I see it
And no bot support :hmm:

Nice comment, thats pretty sad coming from a fellow UT2k4 modder, not that your not allowed your oppinion, just sometimes saying nothing is better than saying to much.

1. It does not have bot support, because Team fortress is a online team game. However it will do in the future.

2. It is not like the original UNF, maybe you just havent played it and liked to draw your own conclusions from screenshots and hear say. It is like Team fortress and the evolution part comes from what the community want us to do to the mod.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
UNFE|Jason said:
Nice comment, thats pretty sad coming from a fellow UT2k4 modder, not that your not allowed your oppinion, just sometimes saying nothing is better than saying to much.

1. It does not have bot support, because Team fortress is a online team game.
That's male bovine excrement.
Stop spreading that insane believe that on-line games do not benifit from proper bot-support.
It does help ... the entire UT-series is pretty much proof of it.
Even the bots in BF2 are better teammates than any living breathing human being on-line.

Bot-support means you can play the game without waiting for half a dozen people to show.
Without bot-support the server is nothing more than a glorified 3D-chatroom until you get enough people to play anything other than DM.

Lack of bot-support only shows you're programmers are breaking the engine and your mappers are too lazy to build proper maps, because there's no way bots can't play a class-based DM- or CTF-game unless you go out and break the core-mechanismes.

2. ... what the community want us to do to the mod.
That's got to be the worst reason to build anything.
If you only build something because someone told you do then you don't have a hobby ... you've got a job and a migthy boring one at that.

UNFE|Jason

UNF :E Project leader
Nov 13, 2005
www.unrealfortressevo.com
I was wondering when you would turn up.

JaFO said:
That's male bovine excrement.
Stop spreading that insane believe that on-line games do not benifit from proper bot-support.
It does help ... the entire UT-series is pretty much proof of it.
Even the bots in BF2 are better teammates than any living breathing human being on-line.

Bot-support means you can play the game without waiting for half a dozen people to show.
Without bot-support the server is nothing more than a glorified 3D-chatroom until you get enough people to play anything other than DM.

Lack of bot-support only shows you're programmers are breaking the engine and your mappers are too lazy to build proper maps, because there's no way bots can't play a class-based DM- or CTF-game unless you go out and break the core-mechanismes.

Does UT2004 contain the bots we need, please be sure to show me where in UED actors are to allow the bots to place sentrys, conc jumping, rocket jumping and all the other little things that are needed, perhaps you could tell me where the AI routines are for each class to act and do his or her own within the mod.

Please also point out where I said that game's do not benefit from having bot's. What I was saying was that Team fortress is an online mult player game, so this is where we wanted to place our efforts first. Infact we have big plans for bot support, we just want the time to work extensively on this.

Im all ears.

JaFO said:
That's got to be the worst reason to build anything.
If you only build something because someone told you do then you don't have a hobby ... you've got a job and a migthy boring one at that.

how many times have we got to tell people why UNFE was made, what part dont you understand?.

We have built a clean sheet version of Team fortress, not exactley; some things are different. However we have always said that we didnt want to throw in anything into the mod that people didnt want or recognise from all versions of Team Fortress, we wanted people to tell us after they played Beta 1 how we could improve the Team fortress concept or what we could add to make the mod more enjoyable to the whole community.

Last edited:

Dest

DA Team
Oct 6, 2004
bikini bottom tbh!
UNFE|Jason said:

1. It does not have bot support, because Team fortress is a online team game. However it will do in the future.

2. It is not like the original UNF, maybe you just havent played it and liked to draw your own conclusions from screenshots and hear say. It is like Team fortress and the evolution part comes from what the community want us to do to the mod.

Well perhaps it could help... I have atleast downloaded the bonus packs and your mod to try it out. And sorry if you felt it the wrong way, but the comments of the community (good or bad) can make the mod alot better!
Atleast now you could think you should put bot support in with an higher priority, because almost all people who downloaded your mod tried it out offline first. And when they come to the conclusion; nothing is happening, time just runs by and I can only run in the maps with no moving enemy's. Then people think it's not a good mod. Ans since other people can't really enjoy the online options, because of the lack of players, then its no that fun for people (like me)(and yes DA doesn't have alot of online players either). And tbh I've played pretty often UNF on UT online! And I reconized alot of sounds and stuff from the old UT version.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
UNFE|Jason said:
I was wondering when you would turn up.
Does UT2004 contain the bots we need, please be sure to show me where in UED actors are to allow the bots to place sentrys, conc jumping, rocket jumping and all the other little things that are needed, perhaps you could tell me where the AI routines are for each class to act and do his or her own within the mod.
There are classes that tell the bots to use the translocator to get to a certain location. AFAIK there were/used to be classes for the hammer-jump in UT-series as well, altough they might have refined it.
The conc- and rocket-jump should be simple extensions of those features.
If your team really needs more info then that they they should go back to school and start learning Unrealscript and the entire api for real this time.

The healing-skill would be an extension from the link-gun's secondary fire ... bots seem to understand how to heal vehicles.

Building sentries would be an extension from the node-building-routines in ONS. Simply place "invisible" nodes at those places you want them to build sentries and you're at least half way to bot-heaven.

In short there are lots of places to re-use existing code *provided* you know what OOP is and how UT's codebase is designed. Ask the Jailbreak-team if you need any help because they're practically the only mod-team that managed to understand how new gametypes and bot-code can be added to UT without breaking basic rules.

Not having bot-support means that all your mappers are going to have to path each and every map they've ever made once you decide that bot-support is functional. Most mappers would rather build new stuff instead.
There's also the problem that maps that weren't designed with bots in mind are going to cause problems as soon as bot-support is added.

Please also point out where I said that game's do not benefit from having bot's. What I was saying was that Team fortress is an online mult player game, so this is where we wanted to place our efforts first.
Without bot-support you need a gigantic community to get people playing at all.
You seem to think you can get a cloned version of an outdated game up and running with just the community of 'fans'.

Infact we have big plans for bot support, we just want the time to work extensively on this.
Considering you're merely releasing a BETA-version I doubt you're going to take the time required to finish bot-support at all.

how many times have we got to tell people why UNFE was made, what part dont you understand?.
Until you show something of this "evolution"-part people will assume that it's just another team fortress clone. So maybe you should start showing people what makes your mod different from the hundreds that have gone before ?

We have built a clean sheet version of Team fortress, not exactley; some things are different. However we have always said that we didnt want to throw in anything into the mod that people didnt want or recognise from all versions of Team Fortress, we wanted people to tell us after they played Beta 1 how we could improve the Team fortress concept or what we could add to make the mod more enjoyable to the whole community.
There's one thing you can count on :
- people won't tell you how to improve stuff because they don't know what they want until after they get it

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Well since I'm too lazy and stupid to fix the problems that were beyond my control like everyone here says, I wonder why I should even bother with UT mods anymore...

(Wake me up when UT2007 comes out.)