SDR or DDR?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

simonUK

Apr 19, 2000
Durham, UK
www.dreamcastuk.net
Right, thanks very much Voodoo lovers but I'm a Nvidia dan (sorry). Anyway, money is a bit tight for me but i still want top notch gaming performance. Could you please advise me if the DDR is really worth th extra £40. How much better is it approx? Cheers

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
DDR is MUCH better than SDR. When your video ram is pumping 2 times the info, you'll get a huge speed increase. I don't know exactly how much faster it will be, but I wouldn't be surprised by an extra 10-20 fps.

I got an SDR GeForce only because I was in the process of ordering parts for my new computer. I waited an extra month to get the SDR and wasn't ready to wait another month or 2 for the DDR cards to be available.

With SDR you don't get to take full advantage of the GeForce GPU. I don't really know if there is any one company that has a better board than another, but I'm very satisfied with my Elsa Erazor X. The DDR version is the Erazor X2. It doesn't come with extras like TV-out, which most people will never use anyway, so you don't waste money there. I'm very pleased with my card.

simonUK

Apr 19, 2000
Durham, UK
www.dreamcastuk.net
Right, cheers lads, now I have a decision to make. SDR and 30GB hard disk or DDR and 20. Which?
or and how much of the difference does pc133 RAM have over pc100 RAM for genral use and of ocurse games?
thanx

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Just to make sure you dont go and get SDR cos of what I said, bear in mind my post was a joke based on my SL squadron ;)

SDR_LordKhaine

C¥BER PETE

Masterful
Jan 18, 2000
Visit site
I say go with the DDR at all costs. I'm waiting for my birthday to get mine. I've been waiting for 5 months!

I have no point of reference on the 133 memory because I've never used it.

As far as the hard drive goes generaly a 20gb hard would suffice. I would recomend the 30gb hard drive only if your going to do video editing or download every mp3 known to man.

Wendy

Nov 10, 1999
Staten Island, NY
members.xoom.com
OK, time to jump in here.
SDR is not that bad, and on a lame CPU, you can't tell the difference. Before I got my ASUS V6600 (SGRAM by the way), I did a lot of research. DDR is the move, IF you have a good processor (say like 600 mhz or better).
When I overclock the RAM on my card, it makes hardly any difference. (I can go up to 180 Mhz or so.) So if you CPU is not that hot, and SDR is way cheaper, then get it.

P.S. I'm running a P2-333

bullet2.gif

You walk the thin line between glory and despair, soon you shall cross over it.
(Anyone know what movie this was from?)

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOO, SDR rules
&gt;
SDR_LordKhaine, member of the 707th Silver Dragons Squadron<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dammnit, that's what I was going to say...beat me :)

Loibisch

Loibisch|PuF, currently neither [Ci] nor SDR ;), hopefully in the future...

P

Psychomoggiebagpuss

*PMB beats Loibisch*

bullet2.gif

psychomoggiebagpuss
AKA PM_Bagpuss[PuF]
AKA Armadillo Dragon of the -=UDIC=-
Wielder of the Sacred Blackrock Baguette
"If there is anything bigger than my ego. I want it caught and shot"