Demo Recording in UT2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
Any really good references regarding both client side and server side demos? I'd like to know how recording a demo affects a clients pc as well as the overhead involved in recording server side. Does the client take a hit when recording? How much typically? What about the server? It's obvious you'd need alot of extra storage server side to house the demos, but what other factors should I look out for?

For instance:In the .ini for the server, I know when recording a demo that differing tickrates in the [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] and the [Engine.DemoRecDriver] sections can cause issues when viewing the demos. Plus, I know that the tickrate of the server when recording is dictated by the tickrate in the [Engine.DemoRecDriver] section. Does anyone have a "best" practice setup that they would like to share? We currently use a tickrate of 40 on both of our servers. Should I raise the tickrate in the [Engine.DemoRecDriver]? What affect could this have?

Anyway, if anyone has a couple good references or has experience in this area, I'd like to hear what you have to say about this.

Thanks,

nbk-JaGo

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I cant speak for server side demo recording but I do know that besides the console commands to record a demo there is a nice feature in ut that will let you record every game automatically.

BTW... that tick rate is pretty high for a server.

Look in your user.ini

[XGame.xPlayer]
bAutoDemoRec=True

Otherwise if your running AntiTCC it has that very feature built into it. You can activate it via gui menu.

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
OO7MIKE said:
I cant speak for server side demo recording but I do know that besides the console commands to record a demo there is a nice feature in ut that will let you record every game automatically.

Look in your user.ini

[XGame.xPlayer]
bAutoDemoRec=True

Otherwise if your running AntiTCC it has that very feature built into it. You can activate it via gui menu.

I think you're thinking of UTCOMP in regard to the autodemorec and the tickrate is set per TWL specifications for servers running on Linux.

Thanks,

nbk-JaGo

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
OO7MIKE said:
[XGame.xPlayer]
bAutoDemoRec=True
You'll have to replace bAutoDemoRec=False with bAutoDemoRec=True everywhere in User.ini (and UT2004.ini, I think) for it to work reliably.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
JagoXmp said:
I think you're thinking of UTCOMP in regard to the autodemorec and the tickrate is set per TWL specifications for servers running on Linux.

Thanks,

nbk-JaGo

Your right I did mean UTCOMP. :)

Nunchuk_Skillz

May 18, 2005

That's a very normal tick, actually. TWL mandates 35-40 tick for competition servers and anything less than 35 will often feel kinda muddy. There's a little variance between how tick feels on Linux and Windows servers, but 35-40 is a very good, very standard tick setting if you want it to play well.

Of course, there are some lame server companies out there that set it at 20 and make you leave it there, but I would strongly suggest you spend your money elsewhere. 20 tick is just horrible.