Pauses while playing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lauden

Jan 17, 2000
Visit site
Since Day 1 of installing UT, I've experienced pauses in gameplay when the screen freezes for 2-5 seconds and the music loops like a skipping record. Then as soon as it came it goes and I'm off playing again. Extrememly frustrating at times. Always thought it was just my system. Happens on Voodoo2 and TNT2 cards.

Now my bud just bought a brand new screamer of a computer and installed UT. Guess what, he has the exact same problem on a GEForce GTS card.

Does anyone have any info or tweaks to eliminate or mitigate this problem???

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
hmm...i thought i was the only one with these exact problems. i guess it's probably my soundcard that fecks UT up.

i have a Celeron 400, 128 mb, Viper 770, Nvidia Detonator 5.17 for Win2k and a Soundblaster PCI 128.

there are no Win2k drivers for the soundcard, so i use the standard Windows drivers out of necessity. it happens to me often enough that the image freezes for a couple of secs while the sound loops like a madman. and yes, this is VERY frustrating in an online game!
icon8.gif

what soundcard do you have, and what OS are you running?

bullet2.gif

gramps|PuF

pride is a luxury.

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
hmm...well i figured the problem existed due to bad soundcard/OS compatibility, but since you have a completely different setup...

sorry buddy, i really can't tell what causes these problems :(
odd tho, you say you've had this since the beginning, i only got it after installing Win2k...

bullet2.gif

gramps|PuF

pride is a luxury.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
I have the Monster MX300 soundcard and was having freezing problems until I d/l'ed the aureal drivers for it. Have you got the latest drivers? (I know, it's the first thing people ask. But the soundcard's a good guess.)

I've also just installed the Asusp3v4x mainboard, and am having problems with anything over the 405b patch. I'm hoping it's just a driver issue, but it's working for now. What's your m/b?

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
well Morety, i don't know if you ment me or Lauden, but as i said, Creative has not yet published any drivers for Win2k.

I'm using an Asus P3BF motherboard, but i don't think that's the problem. in fact, i expect everything to work ok again as soon as those friggin' drivers are ready.

/me glumly thinks of buying a new soundcard altogether...

bullet2.gif

gramps|PuF

pride is a luxury.

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
oh yeah...

i've experienced this problem with 4.13 as well as 4.20. but all on Win2k. i don't know how these patches will do on Win98, and i don't want to step back to 98 just to test this. Win2k just rocks too much for that.

bullet2.gif

gramps|PuF

pride is a luxury.