Come at you even faster

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
What’s all this crap with AOL, and maybe others, about high-speed connections making us more vulnerable to viruses? What the hell does your connection speed have to do with getting a virus? Viruses are usually small attachments, and I can’t see people deleting the files because they take too long to download and click on, even if they could. It sounds like a ploy to scare people. They say the viruses come at you even faster. Okay, you download the mail from the server in 2 seconds rather than 5 seconds. Big deal; give me a break.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
Cat Fuzz said:
There are millions of ignorant people out there on the internet. This explains the existance of AOL.
Ain’t that the truth. Newbies usually sign up for AOL, not knowing that they aren’t really directing connecting to the internet. AOL is considered an OSP, not an ISP.

ISPs vs. OSPs
“Not too many years ago when people would buy a computer they would subscribe to an Online Service Provider (OSP) such as Prodigy, Compuserve, or AOL/America Online. These services were essentially self-contained worlds, collections of information, message boards/chat rooms, and services like travel reservations that were produced in conjunction with aligned businesses. A subscriber would set up his computer to directly dial in to one of these services for access to these individual and exclusive "worlds..." and stay there.”

People get used to this format and are afraid of the ISP world. That’s how my mother was. But now that she’s had an ISP for awhile, she won’t go back to an OSP.

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
i like it when i go to the movies and i get SCAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRREEEEDDDDDD!

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I think they are referring to the fact that most high-speed connections are "always on" and therefore your computer is vulnerable 24 hrs a day, and not just for the 42 minutes you spend emptying your spam mail.

Unless they're referring to "high-speed dial-up" (which seems like an oxymoron to me). Then they can just kiss my butt.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
They are talking about viruses. Someone could hack your PC and load a virus on it, but that's probably rare. Being connected all the time might make you more likely to be hacked, but that's about it.

But that's not how they present it in the commercial. They imply that a high-speed connection means viruses are "coming at you faster" compared to a dial-up connection, so you need the protection of AOL. You can download email from a server faster with high-speed, so i suppose they are right in that regard, but virus attachments are usually small and the download difference times would be very close: dial-up vs. high-speed.

It's just a ploy! they prey off ignorant people who don't know any better. One more reason why i don't care for AOL.

Last edited:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I figured the fact that you come from a family that doesn't drag its knuckles on the ground would automatically disqualify you from giving any credence to AOL.

Quitting that service was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life. But that's only because they kept me on the phone for an hour and a half, then continued to charge my bank.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I tells ya, last night I was onna internets when this frikkin virus bumped me up no good!

Cyrsss Female Dog

..Submarine..
Nov 26, 2005
Desk
AOL is bad,Tiscali/Wanadoo is bad,etc...

Sure Viruses appear..

We get spammed,slowed down,10th place in a multiplayer game.

So? It's technology that isn't quite right (hopefully) yet.

Personally I think that another Net should be available,rather than AOL/search for UT mods and get a page full of cruise deals,just for gaming,sure we got (wow) LAN but that not help for playing against the Norwegians whilst in Japan.

Blame MicroSoft...Mr.Gates started it all by making a large computer thing play a tune and flash lights at college.

Also, WORF....AOL is easy to dis-continue...a while ago I 'Live help'ed them complaining of the net switching off....said "you offered continous service and don't"...dropped my account with them and waited.
I received a letter saying sorry and stay with us plz..,I started a new account and got 1 month free and a faster service.

They can't 'say' "you had a 12 month account and have to continue paying" as they broke their 'continous fast service' contract with me first....see?

Last edited: