The effects of mouse DPI on various map sizes.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Hey peeps, I've got a question about mouse DPI and maps. Just for the sake of conversation, let's say these are my settings:

FOV = 90
Mouse DPI = 1000

Pretend I'm using these settings on DM-Grendelkeep and all is well. If I switch to DM-Rankin, what should I expect to happen as far as the feel of the game. Should things - if ping were not a factor - seem a little slower and more accurate, or should they feel faster and less accurate. Ever the magic tradeoff!;) .

Furthermore, what if I change maps to a huge map like DM-Goliath? What I'm basically trying to learn is, how your FOV and Mouse DPI settings should react and feel on various map sizes - small, medium, and large maps, etc.

There you go. Thanks for the incoming feedback! Prozac

dc

Aug 17, 2005
The mouse will react the same on all maps, but it may seem like you have a lower sensitivity in a smaller map, such as Ironic, compared to a large map like Goliath. On Ironic you have far less open space to move in, and enemies are generally quite close whereas on Goliath a lot of the time they're way far away from you, making small mouse movements seem like a larger change. Is this what you're asking for? I can't say I've really noticed this too terribly much myself but it could be a possibility.

Last edited:

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Thanks for your input.

dc - it really happened to me one night. I have a Logitech G5 and my settings were: FOV 90 and DPI 1950 - these two settings were constant, and when I was playing on Gredelkeep, my Shock and LG were really on. And my movements were very fluid.

Then I switched to Rankin and suddenly the game seemed to slow down a good bit. It really threw me a curve, because I didn't know about map sizes and such at the time. I thought both maps would seem the same as far as my strafing speed and aim, but they didn't.

Maybe there are too many variables to consider, in my question, for this to be a concrete answer type of thing.

Thanks, for your input, and we'll see if anyone else has an opinion or two.:)

Regards, Prozac

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
It's not really a matter of opinion randy, it's more of a fact that dpi will not change due to map size. Your mouse dpi will still the same unless you change it yourself.

Everything else is psychological.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
DPI is independent of sensitivity, isn't it? Don't you mean to ask how the sense of a map's size changes with sensitivity?

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
I'll try to clarify my question a bit later this evening. CST I know I've created a monster, a huge mangled question.:eek: Let me do some homework and I will try to ask a better question.:)

Thanks, Prozac;)