PDA

View Full Version : Big World Project

silentpolygon
18th Nov 2005, 04:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I`m planning to do a "game" with a really big world, like in Games like Gothic or Sacred; something like that. So I have to make more than one terrain, so the worl is been made off a couple of terrainplanes. But that would end in a unacceptable Loadingtime. So how do I make a script or whatever to tell UR2 to load at startup just the terrainplane the player is in? And whats with the skybox?

One more question:

Can I edit the starting Menu of the runtime and make ingame dropdown menus?

Some Ideas would help very much.

Thanks for now

Khal Shariff
19th Nov 2005, 05:36 AM
Hi, like someone i know made an object that is a "teleporter"
I guess what that means is that you can go to a different server running a level.
Combine that with multiple instances on the same machine (server), and an experience system to store the map ID, and that could solve your problem?
Makes sense if it gets crowded, and of course if your world is that massive.

silentpolygon
19th Nov 2005, 10:24 AM
I dont think that would work allthough it is a good idea. differentservers would interfear with the concept of a big persistent world. Perhaps some LOD technics would work, but this is my first game project and im nott really great in pürogramming.

but thanks for the answer

Khal Shariff
19th Nov 2005, 12:48 PM
I dont think that would work allthough it is a good idea. differentservers would interfear with the concept of a big persistent world. Perhaps some LOD technics would work, but this is my first game project and im nott really great in pürogramming.

but thanks for the answer

We're trying to do the same thing for our game. So far our solution is to run a different map on "virtual" servers and then link them. I am not sure how to prevent the map from cycling, but that would be part of it.
For instance we have this one place just for chatting that cycles only every 99 hours. I am sure there must be a programmatic way to do this.

Someone else tried using experience points for persistence:
http://www.fileplanet.com/138756/130000/fileinfo/UT2004RPG-v1.0