Getting better

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JRRT0lkien

ambitious noob
Nov 14, 2005
Hi!

I've been playing Unreal Tournament 2004 for a while, but now I would like to get better. And I got some questions concerning that:

- Where can I find videos where form e.g. tournaments, just to wath pro gamers play?
- I've found some books about UT 04, e.g. Prima's Official Guide. What do you think about that? Are there better books?
- Which ways do you prefer for getting better (except for just playing a lot)?

Thx alot in advance!

JRRT0lkien

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Videos: http://www.own-age.com/vids/top.aspx?game=33&type=&page=1&orderby=Favorites&sort=desc
Books: Don't bother. There's better information in this forum or elsewhere online.
Improving: No getting around it... play a lot. Especially with someone who is willing to teach you. Feel free to join us at FragBU every weekend or pop in the FragBU IRC channel at etg / #fragbu

I'm going to move this to the UT2004 forum so it will get due attention.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Hi, and welcome to Beyond Unreal Forums. :)

As for your questions:
1) See Hal's post
2) wow, there's an official guide to UT2004? I haven't read it, but I'd have to agree with Hal. For example: the link in my signature, which points to my guide, contains about every advanced tip I've come across on the internet. And it's completely free to read ;)
3) instead of "just" practicing the game, try an approach that trains specific skills, one at a time. Play duels until you can effectively predict the enemy's moves and time the 100 shields. Use Angelmapper's target practice mutator if you want to improve your aim. Try 'skills' assault maps to improve your movements (I recommend AS-TempleOfTrials-v4). Play against a Godlike bot (or even a team of them), but instead of fighting him/them, try to outrun him for as long as possible. Play a lot of instaGib. Use an arena mutator to train certain weapons. But whatever you choose, make sure you don't set things too easy. The only way to improve is by doing things that are a bit harder than you're used to. If your win doesn't feel like an accomplishment, make things harder for yourself.

Hope this helps :)

PS: nice signature. I might use it in a guide someday. ;)

JRRT0lkien

ambitious noob
Nov 14, 2005
Hi!

Thanks a lot for your tips, I appreciate that very much.

Hal, I've read the FragBU-Links in your signature and I'm very interested. When do you gather for these matches, and what do I have to do to participate? Since I'm located in Germany, I hope I won't have any problems with the time shift...

JRRT0lkien

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Taleweaver commented on your sig... I have to applaud your avatar. Great game!

FragBU: It takes place every Friday and Saturday evening. We've got a 12 man server set up in Dallas, TX on terrific hardware. Newnet is installed and seems to work pretty well for Eastern Europeans. Taleweaver (aka Golden_Dragon) is a Euro (Belgium?) who attends pretty regularly and does quite well. Not as well as, say, a server in Germany, but you get what I mean. ;)

You'll find a thread stickied to the top of this forum every week with all of the FragBU custom map and time info.

Don't forget to check out Taleweaver's stickied FAQ as well http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=157403 that includes a couple of nice thread links right at the top.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
JRRT0lkien said:
- Which ways do you prefer for getting better (except for just playing a lot)?
Watching demos will help, but only applying that knowledge to playing will help.

Just play and play and play.