PDA

View Full Version : what the heck is a General protection fault!

Madd_Cracker
10th Nov 2005, 05:03 PM
I have been using ued3 for a while now and for some unknown reason the error message below has been coming up recently. I tried reinstalling ut2k4 but didn't help. I've been using ued since ut1 and have never seen this error before could someone help me out?

:mad: the evil message....

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2398 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES (Omega 2.5.97a) (6497)

General protection fault!

History: WBrowserStaticMesh::UpdateMenu <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnSize <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnCreate <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- PerformCreateWindowEx <- WBrowser::OpenWindow <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OpenWindow <- WM_BROWSER_UNDOCK <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc

Angel_Mapper
10th Nov 2005, 05:14 PM
What in the world is up with all of these undocked Static Mesh browsers lately? :confused: Delete UnrealEd.ini from the system folder.

Madd_Cracker
11th Nov 2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks alot, like i said i've never encountered that particular bug before. Any Idea what could have caused it?

Madd_Cracker
11th Nov 2005, 01:58 PM
ugh another problem that probably has alot to do with the above. the map i was working on at the time i started getting this bug no longer loads. Which being as its on of the first maps i've ever wanted finish i am really annoyed. It still has the same file size and all the resources I've used are still intact. When i try to load it however i get a blank map instead, or if another map is open it just reopens the current map. If anyone knows of a way to get my map back in working order i would worship the ground he/she walks on...

zynthetic
14th Nov 2005, 03:42 AM
You should have a series of autosaves (Auto##.ut2 I believe). Other than loading each one I dont know how to tell which is the most recent (check properties maybe?).

Madd_Cracker
14th Nov 2005, 04:16 PM
most of the autosaves were from other maps while some behaved like the map in question which is to say that the do not load... my unhappiness continues

Madd_Cracker
19th Nov 2005, 12:35 AM
if anyone thinks they can help hereis my map

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=c3bec313368c5e022f071d7e

oosyxxx
21st Nov 2005, 08:11 PM
did you try the specific protection patch yet?

ReD_Fist
21st Nov 2005, 10:00 PM
goto the ini file, the editor one.

setup editor for 2 windows only top bottom.

in the ini undock ALL and the and make ALL inactive accept the top 2 and staticmesh browser, youl see a 1 for active 0 for not.

Reload editor, goto vieport setup, make floating pick the layout of 1 top and bottom.
make so they don't float again.

restart the editor,
and disable auto save, well i never have autosave on because i dont want crap running in the background.
try that.

Also it will help a lot of things for the editor to not crash, there is NO NEED to have all that crap docked, accept wich I said, or editor will crash.

Shadereapper
23rd Mar 2009, 06:50 PM
i also got a error msg close to exactly the same as him...happend after i cliked th toggle dock staus button an i got this msg...

No Label

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3204 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series (555)

General protection fault!

History: WBrowserStaticMesh::UpdateMenu <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnSize <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OnCreate <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- PerformCreateWindowEx <- WBrowser::OpenWindow <- WBrowserStaticMesh::OpenWindow <- WM_BROWSER_UNDOCK <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc

Shadereapper
23rd Mar 2009, 07:01 PM
o.o cant find UnrealEd.ini jus UnrealEd.int
an i tryd to delete it the launch my editor an got the error msg again T~T