PDA

View Full Version : Turret Placement.

Andr01d
10th Oct 2005, 09:12 AM
What I'd Really like to see is some adjustment in the way you place turrets...

1. When you enter the build menu you stand up.. This makes you somewhat of a standing duck in some situations...

2. It would be nice to have a little bit more feedback about where the turret will be placed.. It would be ideal to be able to enter the build menu first in a safe spot, then when you have selected a turret you can walk around with the "ghost" of the turret in front of you and place it where you want it... This way you can always see where the turret will be placed and you can place it a lot faster...

Sardukar
10th Oct 2005, 09:21 AM
The idea is that placing turrets make u a sitting duck. This means u can't run out into the middle of the battlefield and place a flurry of turrets.

Helioth
10th Oct 2005, 09:35 AM
Cant say I agree, I always found it quite quick & easy (tm) to create turrets.
Its not like you need pinpoint accuracy when placing them anyway.
just press b 1 / 2 / 3. . . Ofcourse, if you have to look to type b and then select things with the mouse, its a whole different story.

Maybe the solution would just be to have *Build Zones* which only the engineer can see on his radar or something, which would be green and show him what he can build where.

Andr01d
10th Oct 2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah well.. If you are supposed to be a sitting duck it isnt really working :P ( i imagine people creating binds to place turrets instantly.. ) And if your NOT meant to be a sitting duck, there are enough people who are, because they cant find B or don't know what number is for what constructable..

Sitting duck or not, it's still impossible to place "a flurry of turrets" because you have to Construct the turret even after you have placed it...

And in both cases, it would still be nice to have some feedback about where the turret will be place (Pinpoint accuracy can be nice sometimes, to place the turret exactly in a cover spot or something..)

rich_zap
10th Oct 2005, 02:53 PM
I had an idea for turrets which would hopefully help break the annoying deadlocks that often occur around the first objective. At the moment each team can only have A amounts of crusher turrets and B amounts of Machine gun turret, what if there was a total build limit for each objective. So an example, on Triumph2 the defenders can have at any one time 2 machine gun and 1 crusher turrets, for the first objective they can build a total say 4 machine gun and 2 crusher turrets. This obviously does not count half built turrets...
So a good team defends triumph outpost and has turrets set up to stop any attackers getting in, but the attackers keep destroying them, they rebuild at first but after a while run out of turrets and are forced to try and maintain the ones they have and defend by conventional means. The idea is that the attackers will eventually be able to overpower the defenders because the defenders turrets are gone.

Helioth
10th Oct 2005, 03:13 PM
Sounds like a good idea. . . to be honest i hate turrets, i'd rather they were just taken out of the game ; )
but i can see why they wont be, and why some people like them. . .
just need to be balanced a bit better.

Andr01d
10th Oct 2005, 03:31 PM
Sometimes as attacker, you end up building Turret A, Then Turret B, (5 meters further) then Turret C (another 5 meters) Then you deconstruct turret a, and place it 5 meters from turret C, then you move B again, and so on... Putting them 5 meters further every time, to slowly gain an advantage....

Fun being sniped by you too today ^^

rich_zap
10th Oct 2005, 03:53 PM
I agree with u android, thats a very effective tactic, and you can use ammo boxes to get a supply of grenades to destroy enemy turrets too. However that can only be done on some maps, maps like refinery have a large open area before the defenses and attackers cant build close enough to oppose them.

Sardukar
11th Oct 2005, 05:19 AM
I like the turret system as it is. And yes, it is quite easy to put up a line of turrets within a matter of seconds as it doesnt take long to build them. Also, how can u know know where it will be placed? its going right infront of you.

Helioth
11th Oct 2005, 08:59 AM
I agree with u android, thats a very effective tactic, and you can use ammo boxes to get a supply of grenades to destroy enemy turrets too. However that can only be done on some maps, maps like refinery have a large open area before the defenses and attackers cant build close enough to oppose them.

Yeah, and its also particularly hard to get the turrets down on that map if the defenders are sniping your anti-armor guys all the time :lol: