Loading pictures into the 2d shape editor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SharderBlade

Oct 6, 2005
Hey everyone1 :) I am new to this forum, and to UnrealEd. Before I even started doing anything with it I fell in love with it, that is untill I got to the 2d shape editor. I was following a tutorial online that required me to load a picture to the editor so that I could outline the shape. It didn't work, the file was not there, so I looked at a tutorial on this site: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Making_A_2D_Shape

This tutorial says to export it, so I did, then save it as Type > all file types. My editor only gives me the option of saving it as DDS. I went ahead anyway and saved the file with a name floor2b.bmp. This put put the texture in the selectable files in the openfromdisk box, but when I tried to open it an error popped up saying "error loading bitmap."

So I went to another tutorial. This one said to find the texture in paint and open it then save it as a bitmap. I tried to open the texture in paint and the program gave me this error: "Paint cannot read this file."
"It is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported."

At this point I screamed out and smacked my head against the computer. Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? Am I looking in the wrong place for the texture?

Thanks
SharderBlade

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
The open from file import works fine here....
I presume you are doing as the guide says in wanting to do an outline of an arch or something similar.
Find the texture, export it as a dds.
eg "arch.dds"
you will then need photoshop with the dds plugin to open this. (Don't know of any other programs that can open dds files) and within photoshop you can then save it as a bmp. You can then import it.

ImaCarrot

Professional Level Designer
Aug 30, 2005
www.imacarrot.com
As for the file not loading, does the path pointing to the file have any spaces in it? Ex: C:\Documents and Settings\my crap\pic.bmp

Unreal can't handle spaces too well, so make sure your pic is in a place that doesn't have any spaces in the pathname.

Carrot

SharderBlade

Oct 6, 2005
Thanks for the link Fordy.

Ima: I checked the location and it doesn't have any spaces so it must be something else.
Hanover: I have no idea how to find that out lol. It is just a stock texture so I assume it is.
Thanks all,
SharderBlade

Last edited: