UT problems all out of ideas to try

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

caveman33

Oct 6, 2005
Just built a new computer a
windows xp pro sp2
amd x2 4400
asus a8n sli
2 gigs of pc3200 ram
maxtor 250gb sata1.5
evga 6800 ultra pcie not in sli

And iam having a problem with ut goty it jumps around it runs will for 3 sec then it skips 3 sec then runs fine for another 3 sec and keeps doing that.

Ever game ive run on it runs just fine except ut goty tried installing a bunch of times with both the official 436 patch and the unofficial 451. tried it with nvidia new drivers and the new beta which is suppose to support mulit threading, tried running it in direct3d mode opengl and software render and ive tried to install it with both my anit virus and fire wall off iam all out of ideas.
If you guys have any other ideas or can point me somewhere i would appreciate it

caveman33

Oct 6, 2005
Thanks for the idea but it didnt fix anything iam going to try and update my bois since ut is a cpu intensive game and i have a newer cpu thats dual core and the new bios version is supposed to have better support of my cpu ill see how that goes

asylum

- tinkab3ll -
Mar 19, 2002
Chesterfield, UK
Visit site
whats an amd x2 4400?

ut has issues with faster end processors, and specifically amd. you have to slow the running of the game down by adding -cpuspeed X to the end of the icon.

create a shortcut to the game icon. edit it and stick -cpuspeed and your processor speed so it looks like
"C:/unrealtournament/system/unrealtournament.exe -cpuspeed 1500"

for a 1.5ghz processor.

you may need to experiment with slightly different numbers.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_13041,00.html

The cpuspeed thing isn't necessary if you turn off power saving. The issue is because modern CPUs (both AMD and Intel) reduce the clock speed when not in use, so when you start UT it detects the slower speed and sets the speed of the game by that. Of course when you get into the game it will increase the CPU speed so will screw up the timing.

PhoenixArisen

Dec 11, 2005
I had the same problem (with an X2 3800), turns out its because it tries to use both cores and screws up in the process somewhere, so if you force it on one it works fine, what also worked for me is rightclick on the unrealtournament.exe, go to preferences, and turn on compatibility for win98 (seems to force it on one core as well).

Hope this helps

FireAngelZero

Mar 11, 2006
This fixed my problem

Problem is is that when the program is running do Ctrl-Alt-Del, find the game and right click: Set Affinity, make it run under CPU-0 fixes the problem. Works on my Pentium D

Don't know if it works on Media Center, but deff works on Pro

Last edited: