Speaking Of Terrains

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SODsniper

Jul 14, 2005
I am doing some conversions on some maps.

Circumstances have forced me to cut and paste the entire map from it's existing file to a new file.

When I do this, everything copies over fine, except the Terrain Properties. The layers copy over find, but the TerrainInfo0 info does not make the trip. And trying to recreate the TerrainInfo0 just crashes the editor.

Is there a trick to copying over the Terrain Icon/Properties.

Barring that, is there a way to make Terrain on an existing map, with everything else already done? In other words, making terrain to match the buildings and such, rather than the other way around.

Thanx

SODsniper

SODsniper

Jul 14, 2005
Angel_Mapper said:
What is the reason you need to copy/paste into a new map? It might be easier to fix that problem than to create new ones.

What I am doing is converting IronWrath maps for use/play in regular standard RVS Game servers.

There are some issues with the IW maps wanting a certain .u file in the System dir. This precludes those who do NOT have the IronWrath Expansion Pack (A pack that Ubi has released with NO support or follow up, so I have no qualms about converting the maps) installed.

I have found that if I copy and paste the entire map into a new map, then that eliminates the need for that particular .u System File.

If you know of any way to check a map and see why it needs a specific .u System file, that would be pure heaven!

SODsniper

SODsniper

Jul 14, 2005
Hourences said:
delete the u file, start ued and open your map, see if it works (in game too) and save again ?
theres a good chance it removed the reference to the file then

Yea, tried that. It crashes the editor with a RAN OUT OF MEMORY error.

SODsniper

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Hourences said:
delete the u file, start ued and open your map, see if it works (in game too) and save again ?
theres a good chance it removed the reference to the file then
That works for textures and meshes, but definitely not .u files where one of the actors from it is in the map.

I don't know if whatever game you're mapping for lets you export code from the editor, but if it does, load up the .u file in the actor browser and then File >> Export All Scripts. Then you can look through the new folder that's created in the game's main directory for that package, and look at what classes are in it. If any of those are in the map, they'll need to be deleted. Once all the actors from that package are gone, do a full rebuild, save and close the editor, then temporarily move the .u file out of the system folder and see if the map loads again.

SODsniper

Jul 14, 2005
My editor does let me export code and scripts.

But the .u file (in this case MP2Game.u) is not listed as an ACTOR anywhere in the MAP file.

SODsniper

SODsniper

Jul 14, 2005
OK, here is what I did.

I opened up one of the maps that has been giving me trouble. The .u file in THIS case is MP2SFX.u

I then exported ALL the scripts assosciated with this map. Lo and behold, it DID create an MP2SFX directory in my Game root.

In that dir was another dir called CLASSES. So far, so good.

In the CLASSES dir was a .uc file called 'MP2GlassEffectDF.uc' and the text of that file is as follows:

defaultproperties
{
m_bDoubleFace=True
m_ImpactSound=Sound'Bullet_Impacts.Play_Impact_Glass'
m_RicochetSound=Sound'Bullet_Impacts.Play_Impact_Glass'
m_pSparksIn=Class'R6SFX.R6GlassImpact'
m_DecalTexture(0)=Texture'R6SFX_T.Glas****.Gl*******001'
m_DecalTexture(1)=Texture'R6SFX_T.Glas****.Gl*******002'
m_DecalTexture(2)=Texture'R6SFX_T.Glas****.Gl*******003'
m_DecalTexture(3)=Texture'R6SFX_T.Glas****.Gl*******004'
}

Now, what does this tell me??

SODsniper

SODsniper

Jul 14, 2005
Angel_Mapper said:
Any breaking glass in the level? From the name of the script that would be my guess. Either that or that's the effects it does when glass is hit.

So, in theory, getting rid of all the glass, should eliminate the issue.

N'est pa?

SODsniper

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's either a special actor placed near the glass or as the glass itself to do some kind of breaking effect, or it's in the glass material type of the texture, in which case you could duplicate all the glass textures into the mylevel package and change the material type.