Voice recognition

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DIGITRON

a few digits shy
May 3, 2000
IOWA
Visit site
does anyone know if epic, gt, etc. have any plans to incorporate voice recognition into their games.

it would be nice to have a more hands free command interface while controlling your movement, etc. with both hands.

instead of using raw key bindings u could just say "toss relic" or "DUCK!" or whatever u wanted.

i dont even know if its possible but was wondering.

------------------
"Allways scratch where it itch's"

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
More immediately, I'd love to see actual in-game voices, instead of hitting keys.

A mic-headset combo in ctf games would be awesome. I'd still use the keyboard/mouse for physical actions.

bullet2.gif

Llamas spit and poo, and not in the humourous way that monkeys do. They're dirty dirty animals.

DIGITRON

a few digits shy
May 3, 2000
IOWA
Visit site
no kidding.
roger wilco is a great program but who wants to take time out to try to set up players and a server everytime you want to play.

however i think it would be to taxing on servers and whatnot to have in-game voices. ?

for now i would be happy with a voice recognition command interface.

"DUCK!"

bullet2.gif

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
I think it'd be quicker to just double tap left as opposed to saying "Dodge left". The game itself is a computer hog, and I'm sure it'll be a long time before we can get our wish-lists happening.

If we're going to go crazy, the ultimate would be a cross hair that follows eye contact, and thought recognition for all commands. That would be the ultimate in speed/reflexes.

bullet2.gif

Llamas spit and poo, and not in the humourous way that monkeys do. They're dirty dirty animals.

The_Dudester

Surfing the edge of underconfidence.
Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
Well...its possible.
Problem is, voice recognition is the kind of thing that takes processing power :)
Processing power is what you want to reserve for the main game...so I think we might have to wait a few years for this. (Which would you rather have, voice recognition and crappy performance...or key-binding and good performance?)

Also, I suspect that a voice interface is inherently slower than a keyboard interface. (Though that is ok I suppose if you gain more efficiency from two handed motion control on the keys...)

bullet2.gif

Q: What's purple and commutes?
A: An abelian grape.

Obv.

I actually like the element of key binding as a skill. I'm always impressed by communication-heavy CTF players, and I strive to be one myself. Having to use the entire keyboard (and all your mouse buttons) to fight, dodge, jump, duck, drop relics, feign death, and get your point across to your team and their team is a fun challenge! Binding becomes as important a skill as aiming and firing.

That said, I would probably use voice recognition and in game voice communication, and I'm sure they would provide new challenges. A big part of me would miss the old keyboard challenge though. :)

DIGITRON

a few digits shy
May 3, 2000
IOWA
Visit site
morety, you are crazy. lol
retinal tracking interface?
thought processing?

the mind reading actually sounds pretty cool but i think my player would do some strange sh*t. :+)

obviously you wouldn't want to bind "dodge"
to a voice command since its already easy to dodge.
I just thought a couple voice activated commands would be great in a melee (sp?)maybe just maybe theres someone out ther who can write some kind of mod that works in conjunction with a voice recognition program and sends the command to ut? i dun no. but there again you have processor and ram problems.

i think the keyboard works great but i do find myself getting killed sometimes trying to find the key i want.

btw great id MR. SMALLBERRIES
wonder what that stands for? lol

bullet2.gif

maxrevs

May 4, 2000
Mallow,Co.Cork,Ireland
Visit site
Are we taking about voice communication here or actually using a microphone instead of keys , ie , you record yourself saying "flak Cannon" and then when in game , you say flak cannon , and it selects the gun for you , these programs don't use much (if any) bandwidth whereas realtime communications software is bandwidth intensive

bullet2.gif

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no Evil , for The meanest motherf**kers in the valley,Are on my team...

The_Dudester

Surfing the edge of underconfidence.
Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
We are talking about saying "Flak Cannon" and getting a flak cannon :)

I know that this uses zero bandwidth...my problem is the processing power needed to actually compare your voice with the standard "models" for phrases. Plus, I've tried 2 different voice recognition packages and neither could consistently recognise what I said (they got around 50% of my words wrong). This is with the longest training time they support...

On a similar theme, it is very hard for voice recognition to work with emotionally charged voices...so UT might not be the best place to employ it.

bullet2.gif

Q: What's purple and commutes?
A: An abelian grape.

Obv.

maxrevs

May 4, 2000
Mallow,Co.Cork,Ireland
Visit site
I've tried that voice commander programme , I tried it on X-wing Vs Tie Fighter to set up wingmen orders, shield control and rate of fire , and It was awful , half the time it didn't work at all , no matter how often I tried it. These programmes have potential , but thay need to evolve a bit first.

bullet2.gif

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no Evil , for The meanest motherf**kers in the valley,Are on my team...

DIGITRON

a few digits shy
May 3, 2000
IOWA
Visit site
maybe instead of saying the exact word or words i.e. "flak cannon" into mic maybe you could use more distinguishable sounds like
"one" "two" or "DUCK" or you may even have to...dare i say reduce your vocabulary to a series of "grunts and moans" (thinking of asia!)

just another thought

bump

bullet2.gif

[This message has been edited by DIGITRON (edited 05-17-2000).]