David Blaine Magic

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
This guy has been around awhile and done some stuff on TV, but i've never paid any attention to him. I watched a couple of his street magic shows the other night and must say i was impressed. i can think of ways he could do some of his stuff, but not all.

Nachimir

Crony of Stilgar
Aug 13, 2001
Shelf Adventure.
Most of his stuff is faked; he's an illusionist rather than a magician. They also do multiple takes so they can edit in a more extreme audience reaction to some tricks.

His endurance stuff seems to be the only real stuff he does.

Nachimir

Crony of Stilgar
Aug 13, 2001
Shelf Adventure.
No such thing, but I'm sure he knows a card trick or two. What I meant was that he fakes in a way magicians typically don't: using media to convey untruths, rather than just gadgets or sleight of hand. He has "audience members" collude with him, such as a guy who allowed him to burn a hole in his t-shirt and make him "hysterical with shock" over finding a tatoo of a face that had "mysteriously appeared".

His work is more about provoking a reaction, whether that takes a traditional magic trick, or just a bunch of actors and some editing suite shenanigans. The only way it's not crap TV is if you think all the tricks are genuine.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
I watched 2 one-hour shows and he did variations of the same trick a time or two on each show. One of the tricks went like this: There was a group of girls, maybe high school age, and he gave a pencil and a notepad to one girl and told her to walk maybe 30 feet away and write down the name of someone who is important to her. He said to leave the notepad and pencil there, tear off the paper and fold it up and walk back over to the group.

He lit the folded paper on fire and rubbed it across his forearm and the name of the person the girl wrote down appeared on his arm. It looked like it had been burned into his arm. He did basically the same trick with some other people, but the burnt name appeared on his stomach. He had a shirt on, so something could have be going on under his shirt, but he didn’t have any sleeves covering his forearms when he made the name appear on his arm.

He would walk down the street and stop and ask somebody to think of a number between 1 and 1,000. Then he says 333 and he’s right. He did variations on this trick. I was thinking that if all these people weren’t actors and in on these tricks, the guy must be an alien or something.

GoAt

Never wrong
Nov 3, 2001
USA
Visit site
i contribute most of his tricks to statistical history and some math

have someone think of a card, most will think of either the ace of hearts, or ace of spades.

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
the first time i'd heard about him was on a commercial for his first abc special, which aired years ago. the neat thing was, during the commercial, he flipped through this deck of cards and asked me, the viewer, to pick a card, and so i did, then he showed the wrong card and said "this is not your card," and then showed the card that *i*, the viewer, picked and said "this is your card." :tup: i just wonder how many people he got on that. regardless, it was totally awes :tup:

Dec 21, 2001
monotony
Visit site
thats all mathmatical... I mean the card trick ossy is talking about... they have a version on the internet you can do and it explains it all to you. But I think david blaine is awesome... and the **** he does blows my mind. I like when he has someone pick a card and then he throws the deck of cards at a window and the card they picked and wrote there name on is behind the glass of some jewerly store window. Someone explain that to me.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
GoAt said:
i contribute most of his tricks to statistical history and some math

have someone think of a card, most will think of either the ace of hearts, or ace of spades.
Well, I saw him do a card trick where he had some kid pick 5 cards from the deck. He said out of those 5 to pick a card that was not obvious, like don’t pick the ace of spades, or whatever; basically, he suggested they pick a mundane card. He had the boy put the cards back in the deck, took the kid’s hand and placed it on his chest (blain was wearing a shirt) and told the kid that he picked the 4 of hearts. The kid was astounded. But then Blaine rose up his shirt and there was a perfect imprint of the 4 of hearts on his chest. It was as if the card had just been printed and the ink was still wet and he stamped his chest with it, only the 4 wasn’t backwards or anything, it was the right way. Weird. The kid couldn’t talk after that. It looked like he was ready to fall down or run away from fear.

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
I saw a video awhile back that explains all of his tricks, the card trick that Oosy talked about is quite simple, its called forcing a card
I forgot how, but you take one card and I think bend the corner somehow so when you flip through the deck the card flips about a half second slower than all the rest, so its really the only card that you see the longest and of course the only one that pops into you head because it stands out amongst the others
after seeing how all of the tricks are done Blaine is still fun to watch, he doesn't need no big stage to do his stuff, its more on a personally level in which you see it in your face

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
I stand corrected. One of the Blaine shows was a repeat where he burned a piece of paper with someone’s name on it, waved the burning paper across his forearm and made the name appear on his arm. He was wearing a long sleeve shirt when he did that. His sleeves were rolled up slightly, and the sleeve where the name appeared was half way up his forearm when he started showing the name imprinted on it.

He bit the top off a quarter, held the rest of the quarter right in front of him, spit the piece of quarter out of his mouth and it looked like it landed right back at the top of the quarter and made it whole again. I assume he did a “hand is quicker than the eye” thing and switched quarters right in front of you, but it was impressive. Then he pushed a cigarette through a quarter that looked whole.

It reminded me of the other show I watched last week where he stuck his hand through a storefront window and grabbed a watch that was on display. The watch actually belonged to a person on the street he was talking with. It ended up in a shop window display. He stuck a newspaper on the glass window, stuck his hand into the sheet of newspaper, through the glass, grabbed the watch and handed it to the person. How the hell does he do that?

Then he did levitation on the street several times. There were people all around him watching this. He would turn his back to some people, tell them to catch him if he falls, then he’d levitate several inches off the ground. Once, it looked like he rose up about a foot. You could clearly see daylight under his feet and nothing holding him up from the bottom. Somebody walked over and waved their arms over and around him to see if there were any wires, but there were none.

He’s either an alien or the devil. Or maybe a devil alien. Do they have devil aliens? Yeah, there must be devil aliens, right? I mean, in this whole universe, there has to be devil aliens.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
Sarevok said:
I saw a video awhile back that explains all of his tricks, the card trick that Oosy talked about is quite simple, its called forcing a card
I forgot how, but you take one card and I think bend the corner somehow so when you flip through the deck the card flips about a half second slower than all the rest, so its really the only card that you see the longest and of course the only one that pops into you head because it stands out amongst the others
after seeing how all of the tricks are done Blaine is still fun to watch, he doesn't need no big stage to do his stuff, its more on a personally level in which you see it in your face
Yeah, he started the show with that card trick you're talking about. I watched carefully and could tell that there was really only one card you could see long enough to focus on. There were several others that i saw, but not fully, but i picked one of those thinking he would pick the one you saw the longest. He picked the one you saw the longest.

I'm impressed by how well he fools people with his tricks. It doesn't matter that they are all tricks, but that he's good at what he does.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
Another trick he does is difficult to figure out. He walked up to a couple who were sitting on the grass, like in a park or something, reached over to a paper bag where this guy had been drinking beer and throwing the empty cans into a bag. He pulls out an empty can, turns it upside down to pour out a tiny bit of beer that was still in it, then holds the empty can right in front of the guy. He starts to shake the can a little, puts his thumb on the pull tab that was open, closes the pull tab (somehow) and now it’s a full can of cold beer.

He pops the top, the beer sprays out a little, he pours a little out to show it’s now full and has the guy drink some to show that it’s beer. He did something similar with a can of soda in front of a group of kids. Grabbed a can, poured out any soda that was in it, held the can in front of them, shook it, closed the top, and reopened it and showed it was full of soda again. How the hell does he do this?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2001
monotony
Visit site
Sarevok said:

incorrect this trick was done through the television with "virtual cards" It has nothing to do with leading... its mathmatics...

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
militaryspetproject said:
incorrect this trick was done through the television with "virtual cards" It has nothing to do with leading... its mathmatics...

the card trick I saw Blaine do was with an actually deck of cards, he holds it up to the camera and flips through them really quick, then tells you to pick a card
the levitation stuff is pretty freaky too, I saw a few versions on how to do it, I noticed when Blaine does it his back is always to the audience