Object Selection Error; Must be Fixed soon for project timetable reasons

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jdog

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2005
Situation
As my custom title suggests, I'm an art student who is studying to become a professional developer. I'm currently employed as lighing lead on a collage game development team that is using the UT2K4 engine. Transportation complications make working at home desirable, and I'm nearly in a position to do so.
Unreal has been a real problem child to install on my PC. New video hardware and software was needed along with several driver and bug fixes. Fortunatly, I'm nearly home free to practice my workflow and iron out any needed technices.

Error
My problem involves selecing objects using the right and left mouse buttons using UnrealEd. In a nutshell, I cannot directly select any workspace objects, nor bring up their options menu. Their is a pause ranging from fractional to half second whenever I click an object in the 2d or 3d space windows, then the program continues to run like normal without ever having selected the object, light, static mesh, brush, or anything else. This applies to all three mouse buttons and, based on built up pausetime through multiple clicks, appears to be process related.
What's bezar about the situation is it's context sensitivity. The camera controls work just fine, so UnrealEd is definatly detecting my mouse. Texture browsing functions just fine as well, as do all other aspects and menus of Unreal and its editor.

Setup
Windows 2000
390mb ram
ATI 9800 video card
Creative Sound Blaster Live sound card
1500MHz Intel Pentium 4 CPU.

Unreal is currently running on patch v3339. Harddrive fragmentation, Virtual memory, and Disk Space are all well within optimal settings.

A fast solution would be apreciated!
The project is exiting the preproduction phase and will soon pick up in workload. A fast solution would be GREATLY apreciated, as a lot of time has already been lost getting the game up and running on my system.

Last edited:

]F|T[Corvus

Deus Ex Machina
Aug 15, 2005
Germany
www.nemesis-mod.cjb.net
As Angel_Mapper said, it seems to be a very common problem. This happens if you have FSAA (Full Screen Anti Alising) activated. Simply turn it off inside your graphics card options, and it should be solved.

Jdog

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2005
Aw man! All that technical talk and the problem was solved by a simple preferance change! Anyway, thanks for the save. The brife gap provided me with some opertunaty to think up a workflow for lighting, so the delay was actually not that bad.