PDA

View Full Version : Basic Unreal help

MBomberZ1
20th Sep 2005, 11:08 PM
Just trying to make a level right now and im having 2 problems, 1 i want to know how to make a texture package and also a static mesh package so i dont have to use one of the default ones and stick my stuff in there.

THe other problem im having is that when i put a static mesh in unreal and place it in an area that i will be able to see it in my level, i cant. Its just not there when i load my level, this is really frusterating.. Is there some random checkbox that im missing? I import the file using actorx to get my mesh from maya and import the targa file for my texture and place the object in my level, but no luck on getting it to show up in the game when i rebuild and play. odd a

any help would be much appriciated, kinda urgent its actualy due on thursday for my final heh.

Dark Pulse
20th Sep 2005, 11:21 PM
First off, Never, EVER edit the packages that come with the game. You WILL cause incompatibilities for the files online.

As for Packages, you have two options.

1) Import the packages into "mylevel" and make sure they're used at least once, then save the level. This saves all your work inside the level, and there won't be external packages to download - this is good if the texture or mesh (or anything, really) is only going to be used once or twice.

2) On the other hand, if it's something that could be used over multiple levels, import it into a packagename of your choice. Once you've got all the stuff in, merely save the package, then save the level. This way you can use the same stuff over and over, without putting it in mylevel all the time (which increases map size.)

For textures, ideally you should import them as DDS textures, if you can't, do it as Targas. Compress to DXT1 if it's got no Alphas or a simple Alpha Mask (1 Bit Alpha) otherwise go for DXT3 or DXT5. NEVER leave things as RBGA8 if you can help it - it takes up way more space.

You can import 256 color textures as well; these should usually be PCX and will take a P8 format in UnrealEd. Much like DXT1, these can have a simple Alpha, in this case, the color in Index 0.

Finally, regarding your Mesh not showing up...

1) Make sure the Mesh is skinned.

2) If the Mesh is one-sided, make sure you're looking at the VISIBLE side and that it's in the level.

3) Try placing it somewhere else in the level.

4) Make sure your Mesh has a skin.

hal
21st Sep 2005, 12:13 PM
Also, bookmark the Wiki! http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/

Moving from the BeyondUnreal forum to the Editing forum.