Fox Buys IGN

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
A News Corporation press release reveals that Rupert Murdoch's media giant is to acquire the IGN Entertainment network for an estimated $650 million.

Acquisition Includes IGN's Popular GameWeb Properties, as well as GameSpy Planet Network, Rotten Tomatoes and AskMen.com

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 8, 2005--News Corporation announced today that it had signed a definitive agreement to acquire IGN Entertainment, Inc, a leading community-based Internet media and services company for video games and other forms of digital entertainment, for approximately $650 million in cash. IGN and its network of sites will become part of News Corporation's Fox Interactive Media unit.

The acquisition of IGN underscores News Corporation's commitment to expand its internet presence by offering a deeper, richer online experience for its millions of passionate users. News Corporation previously announced, and is in the process of closing, its acquisitions of Intermix, with its highly popular MySpace.com web site, and leading college sports destination Scout Media, which will further enrich the Company's successful FOXSports.com.

Full Press Release

The massive IGN network consists of the recently-assimilated GameSpy portal and planet network, as well as other such popular sites as Voodoo Extreme, which today offered its own unique reaction to the acquisition.

Pxtl

Lord of the Files
Jan 30, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
EA's new title "President Jesus With Guns vs. The Brown People" to be the first title ever to score eleventy-billion out of ten on the IGN reviews.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
For being as late as they are into the internet domain, FOX sure knows how to pick 'em. This July they bought myspace.com for $580 million. Now it's IGN for $650 million. They must think they have our generation pegged, and by looking at the hits of those domains, maybe they do. :/

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Pxtl said:
EA's new title "President Jesus With Guns vs. The Brown People" to be the first title ever to score eleventy-billion out of ten on the IGN reviews.

And RT just took a major hit on the reliability-o-meter.

Didn't Fox buy Flickr recently too? *sniffs* I love the smell of monopoly in the morning! *sniff*

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
QAPete said:
$650 million for those internet properties? IMHO, Rupert is *way* overpaying for what he's getting. Kudos to IGN for scoring big time on this one.

Pete 'Yes I'm Still Here, Kinda'
-BeyondUnreal

wow BU must be worth some shiny pennies Pete, got Rupert on speeddial? ;)

...retire and open WAYBeyondUnreal.com :)

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
QAPete said:
$650 million for those internet properties? IMHO, Rupert is *way* overpaying for what he's getting. Kudos to IGN for scoring big time on this one.

-BeyondUnreal
Good to see Rupert hasn't lost his ability to shell out cash and buy things.

When this much money changes hands for IGN you have to wonder what Fox is going to do (here the words "value added services" spring to mind) to recoup the expenditure, justify the outlay and, of course, make profit from it.

bid

Sep 27, 2004
One more reason not to use IGN.

Bang_Doll

Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96
Aug 10, 2005
hha3.netfirms.com
QAPete said:

-BeyondUnreal

Couldn't have said it better myself.
>_>
<_<

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Wait... people still use it? I gave up on them after they merged with Gamespy...

That and the skinning of the website to whomever was the highest advertiser that week. Nothing like a McDonalds website style to go with your video game news. Can I get fries with that?

bid said:

Crion

Nov 18, 2004
Ha. Ah-haha.

Hehe...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Eh-ehehe... Ah, so what, I can expect even more general horrible-ness from IGN?

U

Unregistered

QAPete said:

-BeyondUnreal

I personaly think he got a deal, whatever anyone here might think of ign or gamespy, they do have a solid name and subscriber base. Also with old hidden gem sites like VE3D, they gained a solid base in the internet gaming news segment. Plus i wouldn't be suprised if the assets of the combined companies were a few million dollars worth alone.

Mainly though they were paying for the names and subscriber base however.

Bang_Doll

Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96
Aug 10, 2005
hha3.netfirms.com
Iceboy2003 said:
Wait... people still use it? I gave up on them after they merged with Gamespy...

That and the skinning of the website to whomever was the highest advertiser that week. Nothing like a McDonalds website style to go with your video game news. Can I get fries with that?

Yes, people do use it. most people use it.

Most people are also retarded.

But I'm sure there's no link.

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
I like FOX. :tup:

I don't like IGN. :tdown:

I really don't like Gamespy. :tdown:

Sucks to be FOX. Now go make some @#*&^%@# good movies for once so I have something to do again at the movie theater!

And I wonder how much BU is worth... Although corporate control ruins everything. Just take a look at what they did to TV and movies.

Last edited: