So our college isn't blocking the gaming ports anymore.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I can still play during the semester! D:

I guess I won't be deleting the game now and I will be seeing you at this next fragBU. :)

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Don't worry about that. I have fridays off, so that gives me atleast two days were I'm able to relzx at the end of the nights for games. :)

*edit* WTF bri? What happened to your old account?

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
briach said:
I'm officially 1337 :D
Ah! So that's why. I remember that your name and title were changed, but I didn't think you'd have a new account. :p

Turns2Ashes said:
W00t. Now we can pwn some n00bs on TWL like whoa. ;)
Hells yeah we are. All we need to do is get in some team practice and we'll be good to go. :)

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Kyllian said:
Why the hell were they blocking those ports in the first place?
Because colleges have this tendency to "educate" people. To make their students smart enough to refrain from asking stupid questions...

nice example, btw :rolleyes:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Blocking gaming ports is actually counter-productive for a school because, after all, they are a business, and the more games their students play, the more classes they fail, and the more classes they have to retake. That's all money in their pockets. If anything, they should block P2P software ports, but gaming ports? No way. That's just dumb for both parties.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Taleweaver said:
Because colleges have this tendency to "educate" people. To make their students smart enough to refrain from asking stupid questions...

nice example, btw :rolleyes:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that college students had to spend every waking nanosecond studying with no personal time whatsoever for entertainment and relaxation :rolleyes:

It's college, not the fscking military, students are allowed free time you know

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Kyllian said:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that college students had to spend every waking nanosecond studying with no personal time whatsoever for entertainment and relaxation
I didn't realise that either. It's also completely besides the question.

Or maybe it's best to put it like this...I would mind if people came to my house, installed games on my computer and then asked me to override any firewall setting that they would need for it (or even worse: that they would override the settings themselves). How do you feel about putting yourself in their place? (note that admins are -to a degree- responsible for lost data)

I don't mind that you're playing games. I don't mind that you don't care about school. My only beef is that you're openly talking about abusing a network that serves a good purpose.

Hope I make myself somewhat more clear with this.

Last edited:

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
unless there's an agreement signed by students, it's not really abusing a school's network to play games. Nowhere did anyone mantioning hax0ring to allow games to be played, just that the ports are unblocked.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
HuggyBear said:
unless there's an agreement signed by students, it's not really abusing a school's network to play games. Nowhere did anyone mantioning hax0ring to allow games to be played, just that the ports are unblocked.
That isn't standard in...in...N.J.? New Jersey, perhaps?

In my school (Antwerp, Belgium), we could get kicked out of class if we were caught surfing the web for non-educational purposes.

I admit that's harsh, but can't imagine how it would be unfair.