JLT: You mappers/designers use LCD or CRT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemezis

Marcio Nemezis Silva
Mar 18, 2004
Portugal
www.nemezis.pt.vu
well. i have used a 17" CRT monitor to map, and now i have a newer one, 19" LCD. Honestly, i do fell the diference: LCD is softer to eyes, CRT is cleaner; LCD is blurring, CRT is sharp; etc.. But to map actually, its the same to me. Both good, we only need to enjoy the advantages of each one :D

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
i got dual monitor crt.
most compagnies today still use crt (as far as i know, but its changing fast)
on my school they use mostly lcd though, and i dunno.. some look good, others (older ones) look a tad crappy.

Fordy

Jul 10, 2001
York, UK
www.planetunreal.com
I prefer my old IIyama CRT for playing games, if only because the black colours are actually black. But, for anything else, my new IIyama LCD is brilliant.

Iv spent ages getting my games to look exactly like they did on the old CRT, the colours are exactly the same but even now the blacks are a dissapointment. There is always a very slight glow from the screen (only on dark images and more noticable on the top and bottom edges) so blacks dont appear 100% black even though its a good quality monitor.

I wouldnt like to light a level in UnrealEd with my new monitor though, that for me would have to be done on a CRT.

Anyway, for games development (art/textures/3D) its still far superior to the old CRT an mouch clearer.

I have so much desktop space now, I dunno what to do with it all!

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
I use a single LCD. I would love to get a second after a major computer upgrade and when I become more professional with 3d work.

I've had the opportunity to work with dual monitors and I can say it is a major help.

MrSmiles

selimsrm
Jan 8, 2005
Swizzle Firma
mrbond113 said:
With LCD, you get what they say you get, unlike CRT (17 inch monitor, 15 inch visible -- what's that crap all about?).
means it's a 17" monitor with a 15 " screen

kinda dumb to put it like that if you ask me

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Fordy said:
I prefer my old IIyama CRT for playing games, if only because the black colours are actually black. But, for anything else, my new IIyama LCD is brilliant.

You sure about that? I've always read the opposite when researching LCD's. That LCD's display the deepest blacks and whatnot. I've never seen a CRT display pure black. Test it out, put a black background on your monitor and then turn your lights off(at night) so your room is pitch black. Your monitor will be clearly visible. More gray than black. Now turn your monitor off. It's a lot more black now, because it's no longer illuminated. :)

Anyways, looking at LCD's on display at Best Buy, I have a problem with them. I can see them refreshing. When staring at the screen I notice a very faint black line constantly going up the display.... kind of like when you film a CRT with a video camera and the refresh rates are out of sync so you see the black lines moving up or down the screen. But it's just a single black line constantly rising up the display. Visible mainly on white backgrounds. All of the LCD's did this. Every brand, every size.

I don't know if there was electronic interference going on, or if that's just something that all LCD's do. But I would never be able to live with that! So that's why I stick with good old CRT. No ghosting, and with a refresh rate of 85-100+ just as easy on the eyes as an LCD IMO.

Fordy

Jul 10, 2001
York, UK
www.planetunreal.com
Absolutley sure! Even on the lowest contrast and brightnes setting there is still a slight glow (with the lights out at night).

As for that band you can see, iv never seen it on mine or on a cheap LCD my girlfriends son has.

Kyouryuu

*roar!*
Dec 17, 2003
Kirkland, Washington
kyouryuu.furvect.com
I switched from a large 21" CRT to a 19" LCD a couple months ago. At first I had to get used to the motion blurring when things moved. Now that I have, I think it's a lot more comfortable on the eyes. So long as you aren't one of those obsessive types who clicks ten times to get into position to look at something in UnrealEd, you should be fine with a CRT. ;)

draconx

RuneUT
Jun 26, 2002
Waterloo, Canada
CRTs have the advantage of resizable pixels. Unless you have a machine capable of pushing all your games out at 1600x1200, the crt will invariably look better. An LCD also only looks the best at a straight angle - while you can still view it from side angles, it gets looking kinda funny.

I use a CRT for my main display, and an LCD for my secondary display. As long as you are using DVI the picture is incredible. Analog input to an LCD = much crappier quality.

Last edited: