UE3 Won't Require the X360 Hard Drive

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
TeamXbox caught up with Mark Rein this week to ask a few questions regarding the operation of Unreal Engine 3 on the Xbox 360 now that Microsoft has announced that games will be required to run without the Hard Drive attachment. Among other things, you'll find the folowing gems:
How does the "virtual" lack of a hard drive affect the Unreal Engine 3? Would that force Epic Games to cater the UE3 to the lowest spec SKU, in this case the Xbox 360 Core System, or would you allow the developers to take advantage of the hard drive when present?

Mark Rein: We’ve designed the streaming system in Unreal Engine 3 with the expectation that we wouldn’t have a hard drive at our disposal so there’s nothing that needs to change at this point. Developers can take advantage of the availability of a hard drive in numerous ways. That’s not really an engine issue but more about what a particular developer decides the functionality of their particular game should be. I would certainly expect many games to be able to take advantage of the hard drive.
Then, regarding UT2007:
You revealed at E3 2005 that in the case of Unreal Tournament 2007 the game will continuously stream content not only to allow big worlds such as those featured in the Conquest mode, but to also have matches starting right after the previous one ended. Hypothetically, could all this still be possible on the Xbox 360 without a hard drive?

Mark Rein: Hypothetically this should be possible on Xbox 360 but thus far the majority of the effort on UT2007 has been aimed at the PC where we would naturally expect systems to have more available system memory. Also I should clarify that the idea is to load the next map while you’re watching the scoreboard which appears when a match is completed.
You can read the rest of the article here.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Not much of a surprise that UE3 doesn't required the harddrive. But it's still up to the licensees if their game requires a harddrive.
I still think you should by an xbox360 with an harddrive, because you are really going to need it in the future (or are they going to disallow user created content like maps?, that would be very stupid)

CheekyDevil

Earth Assault Design Lead
Apr 24, 2004
The Pit of Dispare
dasboogles.com
You know. Battlefield 2 does that whole loading next map while looking at the scoreboard thing. And that takes QUITE a bit of time to load.

I hope UE3 technology is more streamlined. But then again we're talking Epic vs EA here, so I know it will be better.