UT and 56k modem ---> Impossible?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Salmoneus

Dec 5, 1999
Sweden
w1.243.telia.com
I have just degraded my internet connection from 64k ISDN to 56k v90 modem (I don't share apartment with ny ISDN-friend any more :( ), and Unreal Tournament is NOT PLAYABLE ANYMORE! I don't mean a LITTLE lag or so, but TOTALLY crappy super-mega-****-lag! I haven't fragged ONE person so far, and I ended up ~1000, quarterly in ngStats last quarter!

Is there any settings in UT or the dialup/TCPIP that could fix (some) of this??? The only thing I've done is changing netspeed from ISDN to modem in UT.

P

[PuF]RaptoR

Pah!

Get used to it pal, cos thats wot its like for me every time!!

I think Ive probably ajusted to the lag a
bit, bit then again 56k is not a patch on ISDN, and you'd be kidding yourself if you thought otherwise.

I would say that you might consider changing your modem or ISP, that might help. Or you could just give in to the temptation and get ISDN yourself...

PS - If you think UT is bad on 56k, you should try Q3A and Half-Life.

bullet2.gif

[PuF] RaptoR - Fighting against the LAG to bring you this message!!

[This message has been edited by [PuF]RaptoR (edited 05-13-2000).]

H

Haades`FW

my friend got a 33.6 (not even 56k), and he's on a free internet server (don't remember which one). since they don't ask for pub while he's online, he can play UT.. and he get an average ping of 180-250!!

I suggest you check your modem settings, your ISP, and such.. because 56k can play UT.

Haades

DedMeat

Dapper Rat
May 9, 2000
Great Britain
i'm with RaptoR on this one.

56 IS playable, you just have to adjust to the lag. My NG stats (B4 I disabled them in shame) showed an average ping of 400.

And there is a plus side :) There are many interesting ways to suicide when you're a HPB - and the sight of your own rockets flying over your shoulder adds a new dimension to the game.

I've learned not to worry about stats, efficiency or even winning - just enjoy the fraggin game :)

bullet2.gif

Manui Dat Cognito Vires

D

Das Fragmeister

I think there are MANY factors which affect ping, and I configured and reconfigured my ".ini" files up the wazoo after my ping recently shot through the roof.

On my 56k connections, my pings were 800-2500. A MacSoft tech told me it was competition for bandwith. I recently upgraded to DSL. I think some of it has to do with how many people on a server are LPBs or HPBs, line quality, server distance, etc...

UT is playable at 56k...on the right server. It is an uphill battle though, and I'm cautious about people that say they get low pings on 56k...I think it varies for everyone, and too much is out of the control of your configuration.

I know there are apps for Windows machines which help reduce ping, but I'm on a Mac, so I don't know too much about them.

I'd say read the various tweak guides on PU and other UT sites, use them to experiment with your ini, make sure you have the right connection settings everywhere, get info on ping-reducing utilities, find servers populated with other HPBs, turn all your detail/music/quality settings down, and bear it out as well as possible.

You have my sympathy...good luck.....

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
I was getting pings around 3000 constantly. So, I switched ISP's and now I'm almost always somewhere between 200-350. Sometimes it's higher, and I sometimes get packet loss, but that's pretty rare.

There are so many things that can effect your ping, that it's hard to fix, but switching to a better ISP often works. It could also be contributed to poor settings, bad telephone lines, a winmodem, or just a cheap modem that's a POS.

External modems seem to be very good. I've seen a lot of places that recomend them (Usually US Robotics 56K.... courier i think). I just have a regular US Robotics/3Com 56k external, and am VERY pleased.

Also, I've heard that extremely fast connections on a 56K modem often become unstable, and a connection of 43-45 is the best range to connect at. Slower will make it harder to keep up, and faster can increase ping and often causes more dropped packets (lowering connection speeds is one of the things that the US Robotics Gaming Modem does to help increase performance).

[This message has been edited by Clayeth054 (edited 05-13-2000).]

maxrevs

May 4, 2000
Mallow,Co.Cork,Ireland
Visit site
Well , I'm half way around the world from most of you guys (ireland) and the lag is eternally bad , it's odd actually , when it rains here the lagg is worse , and it ALWAYS rains :( I mostly play UT on the LAN in college , but I really like to keep up yo date with the community , I also got to know the Systems administrator in the college , and he holds nightly matches with different mods, It's a pretty good solution really , but I know not everyone is so lucky :(

bullet2.gif

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no Evil , for The meanest motherf**kers in the valley,Are on my team...

MRHYDE

Blah Blah Blah
Nov 10, 1999
Portland, ME
Visit site
Sal, try this site
http://www.3dspotlight.net/tweaks

There are a couple of modem tweaking guides, which will help with your packet loss, and help improve your pings. I used them and connect at 26.4 and still get 200 - 300 pings, but little packet loss.

Also, stay away from servers with a lot of LPB's, they tend to steal the resources and your ping will sky rocket.

DedMeat

Dapper Rat
May 9, 2000
Great Britain
I feel for you maxrevs - im in north wales and we have a similar precipitation problem.

And Sal - just be cool. You can still enjoy the thrill of the frag as a HPB. I would die (and frequently do) for a ping of 150-200. The game is the thing - just ADAPT and ENJOY.

bullet2.gif

Manui Dat Cognito Vires

Mulliga

May 12, 2000
Visit site
I think Planet Maniac ran a guide to improve ping time. I personally have Earthlink on a 33.6K connection with pings of around 220 to the best servers. Definitely playable, though I am limited in my game choice. Hurry up, ADSL!

maxrevs

May 4, 2000
Mallow,Co.Cork,Ireland
Visit site
Thanks for the sympathy Dedmeat ! Are your phone rates throgh the roof too?

bullet2.gif

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no Evil , for The meanest motherf**kers in the valley,Are on my team...

Kukuman

HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT
Mar 27, 2000
Bothell, WA
I CAN play UT on my 56k connection. Sometimes I do good, occasionally nabbing 1st place in DM. I don't play UT online anymore, though.

Since US West is, as of now, one month late to finish my DSL installation, I am not going to play until I get DSL, and if I go crazy, I CAN SUE US WEST! muahahah! At first I was planning not to cut my hair, but it was getting annoying...

BTW, that Planet Maniac guide is no good. It does not help. Win98 does NOT need iSpeed or any MTU tweak programs at all. Some other parts of it are inaccurate, can't remember which. The best tweak guides in the world are at http://www.tweak3d.net/

bullet2.gif

Kukuman|PuF

"Where si my magic hatt??! I AM VARY DIPSSLEASD SIR!!! PH34R M3!!!"

Which is approximate this website, and who are you from the types?

It is website for blood 2 clan, RENAGADE!!!1 is we the amazing experts at the fight with blood 2 on-line and can a blow of foot give to much donkey.

Salmoneus

Dec 5, 1999
Sweden
w1.243.telia.com
I think I will connect at 14400 for a while, and then when I start using 56k connection again, it will seem fast!!!

I had a great game last night though, with just a few unfair deaths :)

And I was a little drunk too ;)

DedMeat

Dapper Rat
May 9, 2000
Great Britain
Way to go Sal - we'll make a HPB of you yet ;)

And maxrevs - yeah, if you pay by the minute the rates here are crazy. There are some good fixed rate deals now in the UK - i'm currently paying £10 per month for unlimited access thru a freefone no. Don't know whether its available in your neck of the woods tho.

bullet2.gif

Manui Dat Cognito Vires

U

Unbeliever

I usd to have a 500 average ping, crappy winmodem caused that. :(

Upgraded to a creative labs external blaster, my pings have dropped to 200 average, usually no PL. :)

Still get fragged rotten by my mate with ISDN mind you. :)