Job Guy Move Thing Parrot

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
Sorry to mislead you, this story has nothing about parrots in it. However, the rest of it is accurate.

This guy wanted to hire me doing some contract work. He was going to get a cut and give me a cut. It was some repetitive, crappy job scanning documents of school kids and storing the images on a server; like school grades and such. He said he could pay me about $17 an hour, and it would be a full-time position for as long as the job lasted, which was supposed to take quite awhile.

I did some calculations and 17 an hour is about 34,000 a year. But since I’d be considered self-employed, the tax on the money is higher; it’s 30 percent. The taxes would be over 10,000. Then this job was going to be an hour and a half drive each way every day because we are getting ready to move this week. I’d have to pay tolls, and with the price of gas, I figured it would cost me about 3,750 a year to travel, and that didn’t count wear and tear on the car. That brought my income down to about 20,000 a year.

Then I told him that before I went to school, I was making about 20,000 a year, but that was before taxes. After taxes, I made more, because I could claim my daughter and get more money back than I paid in. That meant 12 years ago, I was actually making over 20,000 a year, and my job was 1 mile down the road, so it took almost no time to get there. I told him I figure his job would require me to spend 15 to 20 hours on the road each week, so a 40-hour work week now turns into a 55- or 60-hour work week.

So I say to the guy: you want me to take a job where I'll make less money than I did 12 years ago, and spend 55 to 60 hours a week for that money instead of 40. Then I say: So, my question is to you, would “you” take the job? He just laughs and says, welllll. Then he says he’ll see if he can get me more money. Lol, he needs to get me a lot more money. The thing is, it’s not even a good job to add to my resume. I wouldn’t want to tell somebody that I did document scanning; something he could train his dog to do.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
If possable figure out a way to do the job from home....bring all the documents home and scan them onto an external HDD in the correct formatt or whatever, then just transfer from your HDD to the server when your done at their site.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Just find some homeless person to scan the docs, they don't have travel expenses and can be paid under the table if it is by ways of sub-contracting anyways. Just make sure to deduct taxes befor paying out the cash.

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
I've been having some fun in the job world lately myself. I've been working at UPS in the very early mornings the last three months. It's been horrible on my health, so I've started looking for a new one. Have an application out for a furniture salesman, but that hasn't developed yet.

I thought mechanics made more than 20,000. Seems like you have more education than is good for you too. I just recently got my degree. I don't really see what good they are apart from being a nice addendum to a resume. Getting a job and making money doesn't seem to be related at all to having a college degree. I don't really understand it.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Twrecks said:
Just find some homeless person to scan the docs

Maybe that`s what this guy thought he was doing. ;)

Chrysaor said:
I thought mechanics made more than 20,000.

I think Q was pulling our leg, mechanics should make more then that....unless it`s only a part time job or somethin.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Chrysaor...""I just recently got my degree. I don't really see what good they are apart from being a nice addendum to a resume. Getting a job and making money doesn't seem to be related at all to having a college degree. I don't really understand it.""

Well I have many years of expirience,a ton of pc board work,read schematics,troubleshoot without schematics,dealing with companies and customers and phone work,and parts procuring,and many other things,with 1.5 years of tech school FCC licsence ship radar endorsment.
So now,I go for a job out here a "tech" they do emergency lights,like on cop cars and roadsighns and things,good money too.
But noooooooooooooooooooo,you got to have all that resume crap,and so called dgrees and fricking sell yourself ,but then when it comes to the "tech" job the other appicants don't no squat.

So either way,that degree you have is 50% of the sale,My expirience is 50% of the sale,I guess it comes down to you,the individual.
The ones who can lie and scheme and make themsevles look better than they are, get the job.
But once your there working for a year or 2,then you become a solid asset,but good luck man,same for me here,sux,people are making too much money for what they know it seems to me.
frickin GM, 37 bucks an hour,,,pffft I would fire them all.

Last edited:

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
Right. 12 years ago, it was pretty good pay. About 2 years ago, before i went back for my last degree, i was turning wrenches for 18.50 an hour. Having degrees don't hurt you. Most of the IT jobs i see or apply for want you to have a degree. The degree shows that you can stick to something and complete it.

More on the parrot later.