Why do pro players use aliases?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
Pros don't play pubs seriously and who should. They don't want some noob thinking they are the **** because they killed a pro a couple times under non-competitive settings, when the pro doesn't care and is just ****ing around.

All pros either alias or learn to alias after commoners start talking **** and showing screenies that mean absolutely nothing, because they can't do anything in a real game.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Some people simply can't face losing with any honour.

Players alias because they're gutless. Their egos can't accept the fact that they might get fragged by someone they consider "inferior" to them. Pure arrogance every time.

I don't have any respect for anyone who aliases because they're don't have the balls to accept getting fragged.

I'm perfectly happy to get called a "n00b" for saying this as well, it's happen enough that I'm used to it by now. Aliasing is, and always will be, lame.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
Selerox said:
Players alias because they're gutless. Their egos can't accept the fact that they might get fragged by someone they consider "inferior" to them. Pure arrogance every time.

I don't have any respect for anyone who aliases because they're don't have the balls to accept getting fragged.

I'm perfectly happy to get called a "n00b" for saying this as well, it's happen enough that I'm used to it by now. Aliasing is, and always will be, lame.
Why should a pro player wear his marketing name, when all he/she wants to do is have fun and not play seriously? It's not so much they can't accept that they got fragged in a meaningless match, it's the harassment coming from the players that fragged them or other players that don't realize it's an uncontrolled environment and the game isn't important.

Pros don't alias when they are playing chill people that don't rub on off, just because they fragged him/her. Most pros use the same alias all the time, because they know that the only people that know what they alias under are mature enough gamers to realize it's just for fun and nothing else. Some pros even hint people in if they're a cool, non-hostile crowd.

If you think it's the duty of a player that plays professionally to have to put up with harassment everytime they want to fool around on a public server, then you need to rethink things.

*edit*
I still remember having OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG across my whole screen. :lol:

Last edited:

dc

Aug 17, 2005
I know people like Tex can't play TAM without idiots telling him he's aliasing.

Mina_Hew

Aug 24, 2005
I use a bunch of aliases... Im tired of dumb jerk offs following me from game to game... however there are some signature things im known for and just before i leave a game i do them so everyone knows who they got whooped by

as for the aliases... I noticed jerk offs gang up on me with the shock rifle and tend to team up on me... so they treat me like everyone else when they see the new name in a game... also I alias cause you got cocky bastards that just harass and annoy and annoy and annoy... and most of all I alias in a game so that I dont get dumb bastards stalking me... I used to play on the |OTHC| LMS server a lot but theres this little bastard called minipimp who follows me into games and then annoys everyone with Macro-Messages, Spamming up the Mic and hiding in exploits... I got annoyed with the little turd following me around so I change my username often and only reveal my identity when i feel like it and then ditch the name to go for a new one... I cant have a decent game under my regular name because ive got a botter that has me buddied, I also have a cocky bastard that does nothing but talk trash and challenge me to lame spawn with 150 shield servers where as i cant shoot his head off right away... and worse of all that damn kid I mentioned above... one time he followed me aliasing as |OTHC|Twilight and there was a vctf server i was playing on with about 12 people... there were only two or three after he got threw annoying them... and we couldnt kick him from the game because of the dumb UTVote mod... oy its annoying... believe me when you get a bunch of signature traits and become a well established player on a server... people will just screw with you just becuase they recognise your name... the games always a lot more fun with aliases causes the friggin trash that plays UT cant stalk you around

EDIT: oh yes and lets not also forget... contacting abuse@epicgames doesnt do crap for you... ive contacted them about the people that hide in exploits and the people that stalk me around and they dont do a crap about it(hell they dont even reply)... also ive contacted the admins of various servers... they wont do anything about it either... so really aliasing is the only way to keep the stalkers at bay and keep them from bothering you

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Who's Mina_Hew? :con:

I alias because I'm pro and I'm able to alias. Why can't pros alias if celebrities can wear disguises in public?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Not Mina from {sXe} is it?

The only acceptable reason I could think of for a pro to alias is harassment becuse of buddylist stalkers. Every other reason is stupid, and I agree with Sel totally. If they just wanna go goof off in a pub, then they can do it with their real name. Most times, they own most people on a pub anyways, and one frag don't mean a thing, but a good feeling for that guy who "fragged a pro that one time."

If people wanna be immature, and make a big deal out of that, that is their business. Pro's should take a more professional (figure that one out) attitude to what they do, and how they conduct themselves in this game.

A pro basketball player couldn't (and wouldn't) go to a local rec center in some small city, school a bunch of newbs, and talk **** about it because he doesn't have a name to taint under said "alias" or "disguise." Maybe people wouldn't think so lowly of the concept if the biggest trash talkers weren't the aliased ones. The inherent anonymity of the internet is bad enough since we all have handles anyways, then people gotta make up on the fly ones once they have a reputation because they wanna act like children?

It's a discredit to anything about this game, and personally, the more I think about it, a system like Tribes2, or BF2 uses wouldn't be a bad thing, especially paired with a whois antitcc type feature, so you could cross an alias wherever, by guid. It would help ladders, and pubs alike.

Competing in this game and winning money in large advertised competitions is no different then signing on to be an entertainer in the music or movie industry, or be a pro-sports player. It's not a great comparison, but it's not a bad one either. That is the price you pay to make that money, and be that guy. If you don't want it, don't compete. It comes with the package. Same issues, smaller scale.