Need any suggestions for a network card.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rob6264

Jan 1, 2000
fade.to
I FINALLY got 2 decent computers in my room, and I'm naturally wanting to network them, :).

Any suggestions on a good cheep netword card/HUB brand/retailer?

I don't need a HUB yet, but just in case I'd like to expand later, :).

------------------
"I am completly out of ammo...that's never happened to me before..."

-Tremmors 2: Aftershocks
http://www.fade.to/ww

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
Well I recently bought a Linksys Etherfast LNE100TX. It's a 10/100 mbps fast ethernet card with WOL (if you really need Wake On LAN, and if your motherboard supports it). You can buy a Linksys networking package that includes 2 cards and a 4 port hub for like $60, or you could pay the $20 each and put a card in each computer, then just use a crossover cable to connect the 2 directly. It's all really about whether or not you think you're gonna upgrade in the future (or add more comps)

Alpha

May 4, 2000
Colorado, USA
www.aquilae4.f2s.com
Kinda depends on how you're going to network.

If you want to get everything separately, get your hub from Linksys or D-Link. Everything else you can get from Linksys, D-Link, Intel, or 3Com.

Make sure you get 10/100 Ethernet adapters.

HWAS

Dec 26, 1999
Carnegie, PA USA
members.tripod.com
I like SMC. I use the SMC1211TX for my cable connection. Very cheap, too.

bullet2.gif

HWASAlien.jpg

ngUID: 365724

[BuF]Wacky

Mar 24, 2000
Glasgow, UK
imperialconflict.iscool.net
I have two Ethernet Realtek cards linked together with an 8 port hub and two RJ45 cables. A freind managed to link two computers using a single RJ45 cable without the need for a hub. He crossed over two of the wire (which is exactly what the hub does) although I'm not sure which two.
If you need any advice on how to set up a network then e-mail me. I've set up more LANs than I can count and would be glad to help you out :)

ukliam3.gif
boldblue.gif
boldlblue.gif
boldpurple.gif
boldred.gif
bounce.gif
ukliam2.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Never play leapfrog with a unicorn<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

B

BloW__Smoke

I hate unknown brands, so take Intels 10/100Mbit card, then you are sure most OS system will reconize the NIC's. but brandless may work too.
Also for two PC's you don't need an HUB, only an crossed cable if you use UTP, else an piece of coax with two terminators on the end. this can only run 10mbit, with is fast enough to handle off to game traffic.
Online burning CD's an live video full screen is 10Mbit NIC a bit to slow for two PC's, but thats extreme ;)
But for most beginning LANs at home 10Mbit is fast enough, but solong you use an 10/100Mbit NICS why don't use the extra power.

UTP cable can only handle 100Mbit. And requirest special shielded cables and also 10/100Mbit Hups/switches.
And 10Mbit NIC is also fast enough for cable-modems.

So buy at last two 10/100Mbit adapter and a crossed UTP cable, The intels cost here $20 each and the cable $5 so that can't be the costs, HUB/Switches are only needed with UTP and more as 2 network devices

Anyone else who tells different, doens't know chit about networks ;)

bullet2.gif

I Evolve with every frag more to the ultimate Genetic Llama Killer

The 707th Silver Dragons squadron is ready for action

Send articles/rants/editorials to The Soundoff , home of the world-famous Llama Farm!

rob6264

Jan 1, 2000
fade.to
Thanks guys.

I'm really hoping to upgrade and add more comps at some point, so I think I'll just get a HUB now.

Thanks again everyone!

bullet2.gif

"I am completly out of ammo...that's never happened to me before..."

-Tremmors 2: Aftershocks
http://www.fade.to/ww

Butress

The Bearer of Humpage
Jan 13, 2000
Visit site
My roommate and I set up our original LAN o using the linksys stuff. I had no problems for about a year and a half. then when i upgraded my machine, and transfered the card over....I got nuthin'. I was careful with the card and I don't have too many large magnets around the house (hehe) so that was weird. In fewer words, I don't trust linksys all that far any more. I went with Netgear after that BTW.

:)

I am Jack's toothy grin.

bullet2.gif

I want your blood....
And I want your soul....
And I want them both right now!