Grayscale Mapping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

mjparks

I get paid for this!
Aug 4, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
Does anyone know how you can generate terrain from a grayscale bmp. I am working on a project to replicate actual terrain from a real site and I can convert my data into a grayscale I just don't know how to use the grayscale map to replicate my terrain.

thanks

MrSmiles

selimsrm
Jan 8, 2005
Swizzle Firma
i've heard of a few programs that will do this, i know the CryEngine (FarCry) uses a greyscale height map, but i'm pretty sure there is something for ued that will do something similar

kar2nz

Jun 17, 2004
Terragen is one program from which you can generate terrains from bitmaps. Terragen is free, but the interface is less than friendly.

Another such programs is Bryce. Bryce costs a little money, but its a lot easier to use. This program is currently owned by Daz3d, having been passed down from Metacreations, and then having been briefly owned by Corel.

Last (but certainly not least) on my list of affordable terrain generators is Vue Esprit. This is the program I recommend most.

One last thing. I know its tempting to skip learning about UT2004 Terrain, but you really can't accomlish the same things with imported terrain models. Buckle down and watch the training videos from the DVD, and holler back at me. I'd be willing to lend a hand getting you familiar with the Terrain editor which comes with the game. Either way, good luck. hope this helps

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
1. Search the forum for G16 ed.
2. Create Greyscale 16 bitmap from terrain greyscale heightmap.
3. Import into Unreal Ed into the mylevel package.
4. Create new terrain actor.
5. Set heightmap to imported G16 texture, DO NOT MAKE A NEW HEIGHTMAP.
6. Rebuild all.
7. Unreal Ed should show your terrain as according to your heightmap you generated.

Note: You may need to restart Ued to unlock the G16 heightmap. I've had some issues altering it from the in editor terrain tools in the past.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Dragon_Myr said:
Note: You may need to restart Ued to unlock the G16 heightmap. I've had some issues altering it from the in editor terrain tools in the past.

That's what i am experimenting at the moment. But what the readme tell to do and what happen is 2 different things.

It tell in the readme to remplace the G16 texture with the new one. Even if i have a wide knowlegde on terrains and layers, nothing show up. First, i was able to see the terrain while draging the "paint" terrain tool over it, but no lock to see it textured even with a layer added proprely.

ArcadiaVincennes

Level Designer
May 20, 2004
Joisee
www.avld.org
G16 is the way to go.

My experience with it worked like this...
Starting from importing the image inot UEd....
My image was 128 x 128 so I went through the steps of amking a 128 x 128 terrain. Then I added 1 terrain layer.

Then I opened the texture browser, made sure my imported heightmap was selected.
Then I opened the terrainactor properties from the terrainactor itself, and replaced the image under 'heightmap' with the newly imported one I had selected in the texture browser.

Once I'd done that, I closed the properties window and rebuilt.

Once the image is imported, to be editable, you need to change the image type to G8? if I recall correctly. And then you can go on and mess with the standard terrain tools (paint, smooth, flatten, etc...)

I hope that helps... Good luck!

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
ilkman said:
Be warned though, it creates some pretty detailed stuff. I got it to work in the editor, but then it crashed a few seconds later. Too much strain I guess. lol

Lol, your such a crazy person. ;)