CTF-Torinosu (Map Preview)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyouryuu

*roar!*
Dec 17, 2003
Kirkland, Washington
kyouryuu.furvect.com
Hi! First new UT2K4 map from me in a long while. Looking for some feedback. Not really sure how much of it I can incorporate, but I'll listen to anything. This map is a small 2v2 map for capture-the-flag. Currently still toying around with weapon and item placement.

This takes the theme of an earlier "unreleased" work called http://kyouryuu.furvect.com/levels/DM-1on1-Midori.zip in blending overgrown ivy with rain.

By the way, "Torinosu" means "bird's nest." :)

New level:
http://kyouryuu.furvect.com/levelsTesting/CTF-Torinosu.zip

Some screenshots:
torinosu1.jpg

torinosu2.jpg

torinosu3.jpg

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Kyouryuu said:
Should I have put this in the Nali City or inSite forums instead?
This forum gets a lot more hits than our little piece. :) I meant to test this out earlier but forgot... :hmm: I'll give it a go now.

Alright. Gave it a try and I do like the look it has currently and the layout's pretty good as well. Here's a few things I spotted that could potentially make the map look and play a little better.

Gameplay
  • There's a 100a in the blue base, but not the red one. I'd suggest the 100a go in the middle of the big middle room up top and put a 50a in each base.
  • The fact that there are no weapons anywhere except in the bases is rather saddening. Since the side lower routes lack "stuff" why not stick flak cannons down there? People love their flak cannons so this will entice them to use that route more often. The top middle could use some goo, I suppose. :p
  • Doubly saddening is the lack of a shock rifle and lightning gun. I can see why you might want them not to be in the map, but I don't feel any map is complete without them. I'd at least like to see some lightning if you don't want to deal with shock combo spam. If you don't like that you can see all the way across the map in the upper route, you should put something in the middle of that room to stop such a long line of sight. But... With the 100a there and some hitscan in the map, this could provide enough of a risk that you needn't do such a thing.
  • Health load feels about right. Maybe another pack in the base wouldn't hurt. I dunno. Might be overkill.
Visuals
  • The lighting could have a little more color to it. It's mostly white/yellow and the fog washes it out even more.
  • All the weapon bases need to have their skins removed. Display > Skins > Empty.
  • Setting the movers' Display > bStaticLighting boolean to true will make them light better. Not sure how it affects their look when they move, but when they're just sitting there they will look a lot better. :p
  • Side lift shafts need some lights because they're seriously pitch black.
I think that's all I noticed that felt a bit off. It's too small for my tastes really (I like 4v4/5v5), but it's a pretty nice map. :):tup:

Last edited: