importing a height map ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tildamagic

Apr 3, 2005
heightmap editing went wrong...

hey ive imported a 8bit grayscale pic i made in photoshop. i brought it to my level and it does affect my terrain.

however i have 2 problems now.

1. the terrain i painted was just a slight alteration of another terrain my buddys been working on in unreal ed. ive seen his terran and its very good. only thing i touched up was the edges around where a house is supposed to be at. problem is now upon reimporting, the terrain is shooting into the air and its like all streached in height to like 3 or 4 times like crap

2. no lighting is having any affect on the terrain. its black after a full rebuild and i cant figure out what im doing wrong

anyone have any ideas ?

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
-Your scale might need readjustment, look in terrain actor properties -> terrainscale -> Z to make it not so high spiky
-Photoshop isnt very good in saving Unreal Engine heightmaps
-Your heightmap must be same size as your texture layers, everything must be the same resolution
-Rightclick the little heightmap preview you see in the terrain edit window, theres an option like "convert to g16", do that if you havent yet. After import you occasionally need that

Also, it does happen that after reassigning heightmaps it does turn black, try to use the paint or visiblity tool and repaint the entire terrain again roughly, you might see big quads returning to normal like that

tildamagic

Apr 3, 2005
thanks man scale is fixed ! lighting is not =0( ill keep screwing around with it i guess maybe aranging the order to swap with the skylight..