Hey guess what? Another computer problem!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I have the best luck with computers in the whole world. I seem to be losing all the data on my computer atleast once a month. My latest good fortune started last saturday when I needed a restart after having my computer running for a week or two straight. Gets to the boot up screen and I see "09 09 09 09 09, etc..." over and over again on my screen.

I got this before, and was able to fix it by taking my ram out and putting it back in. So I do that and turn my computer on, turns on, nothing shows up on my monitor and then my computer just turns off on me! Uuh ooh... wait a few minutes, hit power button again and it doesn't turn on.

I start messing with wires inside my computer, taking everything apart, put it back together again, turn my computer on. It powers up, a few seconds later it turns off again.

My thought at this point is that something is wrong with the power supply. It is 550 watts. I never did trust it anyways, because I don't even know the name of the brand and its in a funky gold looking color.

So I buy a new power supply this weekend, its from Antec, and is 430 watts. Its a modern power supply that supports all the latest stuff that motherboards include and the newest hard drives. I put it in and my computer turns on just fine, but I still get nothing showing up on my monitor. My graphics card (Geforce 6600 256mb AGP X8) powers up, or atleast the GPU fan is working just fine. The monitor appears to be working just fine aswell.

My thought now is that something somewhere between the monitor and graphics card is broken. But everything seems to be working perfectly. So I don't understand what could be wrong. And even then I probably still have to work out that "09 09 09 09 etc..." error which will probably involve a complete computer reformat knowing my luck. Luckily i've been throwing everything onto a back up hard drive so I won't lose everything.

Mar 6, 2000
London
www.mox-guild.com
Try booting up without an input device conected (mouse/keyboard). Also make sure your bios is setup to boot from the AGP first. You might also want to check your motherboards manufacturers website to see if there is an updated bios.
Moving to HW/Troubleshooting

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
Don`t flash the BIOS unless it`s a last resort, or the BIOS you want to flash to fixxes problems you are experiancing, a bad or botched flash can redure the MB junk.
This may sound realy dumb, but it has worked for a few other who have no video out when they turn on the computer...
as the computer is attempting to boot and you should see something on the screen, turn off and back on the power button on the front of the moniter, I have no idea why this works in some cases, but it does.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
What PMB said.

Does your computer beep at all before it shuts off? If not, you might removing all periphial devices (PCI cards, IDE drives, etc) and just leaving the mobo, ram, cpu and video. If it attempts to boot, its one of those devices you removed. Replace 1 by 1 until the problem reoccurs.

What kind of motherboard do you have?

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Here is a update, basically what it comes down to is that I should never ever touch a computer ever again

Now that is out of the way here is what I did wrong. By the way nothing comes up on my computer monitor, so I cant play with the bio's or anything like that.

What likely happened is that I fried my motherboard or graphics card. I am beyond a stupid ass mother****er and I am so pissed off at myself. What I did was ignore the fact that I need spacers for my between my motherboard and the case. How many did I have? THREE! Parts of the mobo were touching the metal case. I ignored it for two months thinking "something can happen but the chances are it wont". Dumbest **** thing ever to think, and now I am paying for it. I feel horrible that I would allow something like this to happen because I know better then that, and I was warned about the spacers too. You can get the things for pratically free, they are just tiny cheap plastic things you mount to your case and mobo.

So right now I dont know what I will need to replace. What I ended up doing was take the computer to best buy and have them look it over. They checked the power supply right there and said it works, so its not broken after all and I bought a new power supply for no reason. So i'll take the new power supply back. Best buy will be able to find out what parts are and aren't broken.

I am just praying to God that the video card is ok. The fan on it powers up, but that doesnt mean its ok does it? Other parts of it could be broken.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
tool said:
Here is a update, basically what it comes down to is that I should never ever touch a computer ever again
I am beyond a stupid ass mother****er
Self realisation's a bitch.
tool said:
I am just praying to God that the video card is ok. The fan on it powers up, but that doesnt mean its ok does it? Other parts of it could be broken.
No, it doesn't, yes they may well be.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
>I would have said reset the CMOS but nevermind since you seemed to of figured it out. I had a friend who didn't use spacers at all and had the same problem but it didn't fry his mobo, wonder why.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
edhe said:
Self realisation's a bitch.

No, it doesn't, yes they may well be.

It is when you realize it to late. Its better to go DOH! and be able to fix the problem before it occurs.

Defeat, could my CMOS battery prevent a signal from getting from my video card to my monitor? That seems to be what the problem is. Another thing that doesnt happen is that when I turn on my computer is that my computer doesn't beep. It always beeps when I turn it on, all the computers I have ever owned beep when I turn them on. I assume that is something that happens to everyone?

The CMOS battery would be a easy fix too right? You just take the battery out and put it back in.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Sounds like the power to the mobo's gone.. If there's no beeps then either you've disconnected all sound output or the bios ain't there/powered and it's not bootstrapping. This would still allow the system's fans etc to run but may not allow readings of the fans to work, and if the CPU fan's not detected it'll generally shut down.

And I wasn't talking about the realisation of the current problem tool ;)

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I thought that was the case edhe :D

but anyways I am expecting a call from best buy today about my computer. I decided to just turn the whole thing over to them last night. I've had bad experiences with them before but that was years ago. I talked with the guys that will be working on my computer and I got the impression right away that they know what they are doing. So I am comfortable with my computer in their hands... I think. :p

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
>Whenever I talked to anyone at Best Buy they new nothing, other people I know have had similar expiriences with bb to. Mabye yours just has better employees. Once I messed around with my BIOS too much and had to reset it, the comp would start but turn off after a few seconds kinda like yours. On my mobo to reset the CMOS you move around some jumpers but i think taking out the battery would work too.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
If you thought the mobo was shorting on the case the best thing would have been to rebuild the rig outside of it, at least that way you would know if something is dead or if it was just the short causing the problem.

I've fixed a few PC's that seemed DOA and it turned out to be the same thing you appear to be experiencing, once the contact point was found & insulated they booted up fine.

Hopefully your problem will be an easy, cheap fix.

ok ok.
your trying too many things at once.

lets start with the basics.
you (usually) can't even boot a computer without

-vidcard
-Processor
-Mem
-Powersupply
-Power Button.

so lets start with only that.
To be sure, go ahead and connect the SPK or SND or whatever they called the speaker wire to the mother board. that way we can hear beeps.
and for god's sake make sure there is a battery.

do that and tell me what it reports. if anything.
if your not sure about the vid card, drive down to the local best buy or walmart and buy a cheap-o 20$ vid card just to find out.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
phatcat said:
and for god's sake make sure there is a battery
It's recommended, but without one it just doesn't save the settings

if your not sure about the vid card, drive down to the local best buy or walmart and buy a cheap-o 20$ vid card just to find out.
Or cheaper, go to a friend and try it in his computer

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
good news, I found out I have a 3 year warrenty on the video card and I can get that replaced. So i'll do that and if that doesnt work then it is probably the motherboard.