PDA

View Full Version : Better Demoplayback

18th Jul 2005, 01:50 PM
I really love dumpframes. But demoplayback, even though it has become better with current patches, still doesn't feel like it's being played realtime. It's a lot to ask, but I really would love it if the demos appeared exactly as they were recorded. The current demo playback feature is great, but it would make fragvids even better: if dropped weapons behaved more realistically, particles showed, you could rewind demos, the slomo feature was better tweaked so it portrayed projectiles exactly as they should be, and you could execute certain in-game console commands as the demo was playing, etc...

-AEnubis-
18th Jul 2005, 02:22 PM
Heh, I remember them being much smoother before, when I had the hardware to lock my frames vsync'd in game. Now that my frames flux in game, they do in demo as well. I really think it has more to do with your rig's abilities then it does the actual coding.

Demo's on my roomates rediculous rig run great.

SharKTanK
18th Jul 2005, 02:30 PM
Still waiting for MovieMakerUT2003 to be made for UT2004...

As it stands; current system = :tdown: for a number of annoying reasons.

Discord
18th Jul 2005, 05:35 PM
It would be cool if the demos would show the sniper zoom and whatnot...

For vids though, FRAPS is tough to beat.

Selerox
18th Jul 2005, 06:00 PM
I'd like to have the ability to rewind demos for once :)

Also, a demo playback tickrate that matches gamespeed when you dumpframes.

-AEnubis-
19th Jul 2005, 12:30 AM
Well, the way demo-recording is done now, rewind is pretty not possible. They should at least throw in the timecode command like Usaar did with his re-done dll in UT. That was very functional too. Theoretically, they could just have a jump back type rewind command that does the timecode bit in increments. You just couldn't "see it" rewinding.

They would have to come up with an entirely new replay system, and the demos would have to be massive for rewind to work fully. Or it would seriously crunch you cpu when rewinding. Or a combination of the two. Demo size would have to be near double at minimum.

I just want my playback to at least look as smooth as it does in game, on the same settings.

Wowbagger
21st Jul 2005, 06:55 AM
They should at least throw in the timecode command like Usaar did with his re-done dll in UT. That was very functional too. Theoretically, they could just have a jump back type rewind command that does the timecode bit in increments. You just couldn't "see it" rewinding.

Yea that would be enough.
The DemoPlay is pretty good in UT2004 but it still gives me the most crashes and hangups of all the features. It feels a bit unstable.

I would love the Pause and freecam feature they have in BF2 tho.
Its amazing to just Pause the demo and jump through every player or just freecam through the map. Very smooth
They REALLY polished the Demorec part in BF2 and i hope Epic will too.

It does NOT have a rewind tho making it pretty obvious that its not the easiest feature to implement.

http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16111558/bf2_demo_menu.jpg
Ermm i made the BIG misstake to install it in Swedish :o
So, Todays Swedish lessons, Långsamt=Slow, Starta Om= Restart, Avsluta=Quit, Snabbt=Fast.

edhe
21st Jul 2005, 07:52 AM
The ability to play back a demo like a freecamera vid would be a great feature, and i think everyone knows it.

Time recording into everything, ability to flick in and out of the player's eyes with a local spectator mode, tracking that player or free for all spectator mode. Projectile Tracking, 'Hot Spot' camera focusing (automatic movement to areas of hot activity/FCs/Nodes/multikills/fancy combos (with rewind and slow playback..)

That sorta stuff would ooze class and distinction.

Wowbagger
21st Jul 2005, 08:17 AM
The funny thing is that UT2004 HAS some of these features its just hard to use them.
Theres a command to follow the Red and Blue FC for an example but few even know they exist.

Epic just need to add it all into a nice and easy to use menu like in CS:Source etc.
A player list so that you dont have to toggle through tons of players to get to the one you wanna watch is just one thing that would add alot to the demo experience.

Edit: i like that, That sorta stuff would ooze class and distinction thats EXACTLY what UT2007 needs to do :)

-AEnubis-
21st Jul 2005, 02:46 PM
Client side demos (to conserve space) don't record the entire game, much like you're machine (to conserve resources) doesn't render the entire game, at any given time. You only deal, as a client, with the zone you're in, and a couple adjacent zones. Because of this, you can't see what's going on outside of your own perception, hence not being able to "cycle through player lists". It was like this in UT as well, and was quite obvious, because you could switch to 3rd person, observe someone else, and watch from their point of view, until it was outside your range of perception, and they dissapeared.

New engine could change this, but at current, it's not something that could be fixed.

JaFO
22nd Jul 2005, 05:15 AM
// edhe :
You're forgetting 'fixed camera'-positions ... kind of like the track-side camera's in racing.
Of course mappers would have to add them, but it'd be a small price to pay for a feature that would allow for a 'live'-feed by a 'director' of some kind as well.

Wowbagger
22nd Jul 2005, 06:31 AM
// edhe :
You're forgetting 'fixed camera'-positions ... kind of like the track-side camera's in racing.
Of course mappers would have to add them, but it'd be a small price to pay for a feature that would allow for a 'live'-feed by a 'director' of some kind as well.

Wasnt that in UT2004 already but never used?
Or did Epic just scrap that idea?
I know it was mentioned as UnrealTV or something (and no not UTV, two different things)

Sir_Brizz
22nd Jul 2005, 08:50 AM
The problem is that Demos are recorded both client side and server side as the server would see the game, so in ticks. IIRC, you could record "every frame" by raising your tick rate to some insanely high number, at the risk of having demos that are quadruple or more bigger than they are right now.

If you notice, too, in other games the demos are generally massive and not easy to share over the internet. I think that this is essentially why Epic left the demo recording so simplistic.

edhe
22nd Jul 2005, 09:59 AM
With the increase in HDDs and bandwidth it's not so bad. Server demos are 25mb max, now that's not much on a 1-2mb line.

Still roughly the same size as UT ones, i would be fine with an increased demo size (and the ability to choose it's recorded location via GUI) for a better replay experience.

I also think that a 'Timeslip' feature on Single Player games, or spectator mode would be very peachy.