Unreal Tournament 2007 First Look

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
What's being billed as an Unreal Tournament 2007 First Look for the Xbox360 (?) has been posted at TeamXbox. Along with the speculation that the game will appear on the aforementioned console...
If you ever read the press release of Midway’s acquisition of the Unreal publishing rights, previously owned by Atari, you might have noticed that the publishing agreement inked between Midway and Epic Games names three Unreal titles, one being Unreal Championship 2, and “two future installments of Unreal Tournament on PC and upcoming next generation consoles”.

... they've outlined some of what is known to-date on the title.
You may wonder, what has us so excited about Conquest here at our offices? Well, it’s the other feature Epic Games is putting into the mode that truly honors the RTS-meets-FPS claim: the Commander role. Epic Games wants to give a player on each team the role of a commander who will have an overview of the battle and can issue orders and coordinate the team’s tactics, much like we’ve recently seen in Battlefield 2 on the PC.
It's too early to tell whether or not it will truly be seen on the Xbox 360 as the official word up 'till now has been something like "we're developing it for the PC first and foremost." Guess we'll have to wait and see.

SweetTooth

Evil Clown
Oct 4, 2004
gayness... i dont play Unreal to play some RTS crap. I want frags! I really hope they dont try to go the way of BF2. it would totally destroy the UT title!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I also doubt that it is much like BF2's commander type. At lesat, I hope so, because I hate the way BF2 did it.

psb154

RatThing
Apr 29, 2005
UK
I compare these piffy screenies with those released for UT2004 (and UT2003 for that matter) and I can't see what all the fuss is about. The UT2004 screenies were much more dynamic even in the early days of its development cycle.

The UT2007 screenies are fine as computer-3D-images go but do very little to convey gameplay-feel. At the moment it has a "so what?" feel about it.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
BlackDragon323 said:
how is RTS "gay"?
:rolleyes:
I think that whatever people are afraid of is named "gay" nowadays ... ;)
I personally think that the RTS-lite features for Conquest are going to be the one thing that places it above the crowd.

I guess some people think that timing items is 'better' than the kind of resource-control in RTS's.
In fact even ONS had a few elements of RTS-games ... I'm that was "gay" as well. ;)

anywho, it's all old info and old screenies that we've all already seen a jazillion times.
yeah, nothing new there.

Did you noticce how they tried to say "Grillstation 3"??
:lol:
I saw that too. I guess the PS3 must be pretty good if the Xbox-fanboys can only refer to it by insults. Such an attitude says a lot about the quality of the article and the rest of the site IMHO. :(

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Indeed @ grillstation comment... but common it looks like it should be endorsed by an ex boxer and have a grease tray.

As to the RTS aspect of conquest - having more minerals means having more powerful, this will imbalance the game like ONS already is, i fear. Making it nigh on impossible to make a comeback.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
JaFO said:
I saw that too. I guess the PS3 must be pretty good if the Xbox-fanboys can only refer to it by insults. Such an attitude says a lot about the quality of the article and the rest of the site IMHO. :(
I wouldn't say that. Fanboys will be fanboys, and Sony's fanboys are just as bad or worse about insulting.

I read an article on Slashdot not too long ago where they would only refer to the Xbox 360 as a Dreamcast 360. WTG :shake:

Mar 6, 2000
London
www.mox-guild.com
I'm pretty sure Tribes 2 had a commander type role, it was quite cool having someone checking out the map and warning you of breaches in your perimeter (of course what happened then was that everybody ran to the breach so clever tribes started with a feint).

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
edhe said:
As to the RTS aspect of conquest - having more minerals means having more powerful, this will imbalance the game like ONS already is, i fear. Making it nigh on impossible to make a comeback.
Alternatively we can hope it'll be more like XMP, in which case comebacks ahoy as long as half the players don't leave the server partway through every game.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
edhe said:
Indeed @ grillstation comment... but common it looks like it should be endorsed by an ex boxer and have a grease tray.

Not necessarily. As I understand Conquest, at this early stage in its development, there will be side missions that each team can take to gain an advantage. I don't think it's a resource gathering game strictly along the lines of a RTS.

The main problem you see with ONS imbalance is map design. In the case of quite a few of the retail maps... the maps were designed before the gametype was complete. A good two-nodes-from-core map (such as Dawn) can yield pretty balanced games.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think that ONS missed the boat on a couple of features that would have made the game harder. And maybe it's because they weren't really worried about 4 minute one-sided games at the time.

Things like being able to heal the Power Core, or having a small node off of the Core that had to be destroyed before the node was vulnerable, would have made it better overall, because ONS main problem at the moment is not giving the victim team enough resources to make a comeback once the opposing team has reached their Power Core, or base node.

Conquest seems to be what is going to fix that, although I hope that Epic is making some drastic changes to the way ONS gameplay works.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
hal said:
Not necessarily. As I understand Conquest, at this early stage in its development, there will be side missions that each team can take to gain an advantage. I don't think it's a resource gathering game strictly along the lines of a RTS.

That almost sounds like WoW Battlegrounds... Which from what I've heard is like large-scale CTF so it's RPG meets RTS in that case.... just the troops have their own brain.

Yoshiro

Jul 22, 2003
Visit site
My own 2 cents, I doubt Epic will take UT2k7 to Xbox360 as they said PC and ps3. The other title I would assume would be a new Unreal Championship game.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
it's not that inconceivable that Epic would bring UT2k7 to X360, ESPECIALLY if they bring it to PS3, because the hardware isn't less powerful. The only reason I would think they wouldn't do it is because of Gears of War.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
hal said:

Think the side missions might be like Tug Of War from MOHAA? Like say opening some gate in a wall will allow you a faster path to someplace. Or turning off power to an enemy base that disables lights, lifts, or whatever, to hinder they're ability to progress as fast. Of course these things could be turned back on, closed or what have you. I think that would work fairly well if implemented correctly. Have to wait and see.