PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Junk

Smoke39
13th Jul 2005, 09:59 PM
Augs in the aug screen have been recolored to use the same scheme as the HUD display. Green ones are always active augs. Red ones are disabled, due to extensive damage to their host tissue. Also in this shot are the new vision aug icon, and the description of the new tech level of the infolink.

Smoke39
14th Jul 2005, 02:15 AM
I've made weapons shift forward and backward as you aim down and up, sorta like in Half-Life. Sorta subtle (I would try making it more pronounced, but lots of weapons don't have much past what's normally visible modeled, so you'd end up seeing where they cut off, unless I made them start way far back while aiming straight forward), but it's kinda neat.

Neuroflare
14th Jul 2005, 01:01 PM
Thats pretty cool. what sort of stuff have you done, like a features list.

Postal
14th Jul 2005, 05:48 PM
I like the weapon thing, how did you do it?

Smoke39
14th Jul 2005, 07:57 PM
'Flare: I haven't been making a list, and my memory is sometimes lame. So I'll list what I can remember:
Range weapon mods affect projectile weapons.
Laser weapon mods no longer 100% your accuracy, but instead give you half your standing accuracy bonus, and make the other half add up twice as fast.
Using a scope no longer makes your shots 100% accurate, each weapon has it's own scope accuracy multiplier (putting a scope on a pistol isn't going to magically make the pistol a sniper rifle anymore).
Putting a scope on a weapon no longer reduces its non-scope accuracy.
Crouching with a rifle or heavy weapon makes your standing accuracy bonus timer increase a bit faster, reduces recoil slightly, and reduces scope waver.
Each shot fired reduces your standing timer a bit (only really relevant with rapid weapons).
Crouching/standing or zooming/unzooming reduce your standing timer.
Crouching into a fall reduces damage taken.
HL-style duck-jumps can be performed.
Jumping while coming out of a crouch increases your jump height slightly (not really noticable normally, but with the speed aug you get some real height increases this way).
Scrambler grenades have been replaced with holographic decoys.
Lasers are invisible unless using IR goggles or the vision aug, which both have new effects.
Laser bug involving throwing a decoration (crates, etc.) into their beam fixed.
Combat strength aug replaced with electrostatic discharge.
EMP and energy shield augs have been merged, old energy shield replaced with a concussive blast aug.
Aug energy use reworked.
PS20 replaced with flare gun, made stackable.
Some new features with decorations implemented.
Hacking skill modified to give you new abilities with each new level, rather than simple hack speed and time improvements.
Low tech weapon skill now increase your rate of attack, as the description says it should.
Low tech weapons are slower when used underwater (fluid resistence).
More gibs when exploding people.
Some fragments (pieces of wood when braking crates, shell casings, etc.) persist indefinitely.
DTS takes up only one space, and does less than half the damage it used to (which is still a lot of damage).
A few weapons are shiny in first person (without simply making them bMeshEnviroMap and sacrificing all their texture detail).
Flare darts replaced with weak EMP darts.
Mini-crossbow has shows correct darts loaded on the first person view mesh (this includes being empty).
Pistol can have silencer weapon mod, stealth pistol can't have laser weapon mod, but can shoot underwater.
Augmentation cannisters containing an aug you already own can be used to upgrade that aug.
Repairbots and medbots only restore a set amount of energy/health.
Progress bars are now a blue to red progression, unless describing health, in which case they're still green to red.
Weapon draw/holster speed bonus with weapon skill (double bonus for low tech draw speeds).
Misc. oversights in original code fixed.
Umm... I think that might be it, but I could be forgetting some stuff.

Postal: messing with RenderOverlays(). Actually, no, messing with CalcDrawOffset(), which is called by RenderOverlays().

Postal
14th Jul 2005, 09:18 PM
Cool, when will you release it?

Smoke39
14th Jul 2005, 09:45 PM
I have no idea.

Neuroflare
15th Jul 2005, 03:38 AM
I thught you said you have a bad memory!

Smoke39
15th Jul 2005, 07:32 AM
Well for all you know that list is less than half of everything I've actually implemented.

Anyway, I've messed with the view bob and stuff a lot. When you jump, there's a delay, accompanied by a dip in your view, before you actually jump. Running, crouching, and jumping immediately thereafter will let you long jump. The up and down oscillation of your view from Unreal has been put back in, and when you land your view jerks downward. If you sit idly for a while, your view will start moving around a bit, with your weapon still pointed where you had been aiming.

Smoke39
16th Jul 2005, 01:59 AM
Using melee weapons makes them bloody.

Neuroflare
16th Jul 2005, 02:38 AM
total sweetness. are there texture alphas in that version of the u engine?

Smoke39
16th Jul 2005, 02:59 AM
Only the sort that uses the brightness of the pixel to determine its visibility. And ScaleGlow doesn't work with Modulated textures.

Smoke39
16th Jul 2005, 09:27 AM
I think I'm done with the new electricity.

Postal
17th Jul 2005, 08:59 AM
You need to upload a verson, this makes me want to reinstalled DX.

Smoke39
18th Jul 2005, 12:59 AM
I'm not really sure if I'm gonna release this before it's done. If you play through the game once with a bunch of new details, would you really wanna play through it again with the same new details, plus a few more?

Anyway, here's a shot of the DTS. I made the blade brighter, to make it seem more solid, toned down the glow and made it static, removed the blur unless attacking, and modified the skin a bit. The pickup mesh also shows it turned off now, and it only takes up one inventory space for the handle. I've also reduced its damage from 100 to 40, which is still quite a massive amount.

Postal
18th Jul 2005, 12:19 PM
Sweet, do anyting with the GEP gun or the sniper rifle?

So how long till its done?

Smoke39
18th Jul 2005, 10:46 PM
The GEP gun is one of the weapons that's shiny now. It looks quite nice. Besides that, scopes can be toggled before you can fire again, which is nice for the sniper rifle since it would lock you into your scope view for a few seconds. There's also that crouch bonus jazz.

I don't know how long 'til it's done.

Neuroflare
19th Jul 2005, 04:40 AM
so when you gonna try to get a job in the industry?

Smoke39
19th Jul 2005, 05:51 AM
In four years, when I have my bachelor's in real time interactive simulation.

Postal
22nd Jul 2005, 01:44 PM
So what do you have left to do?

Smoke39
22nd Jul 2005, 09:47 PM
My list seems to grow about as fast as I complete stuff. Some of the stuff is just ideas, though, which I may decide are stupid. Right now I'm working on making retrievable projectiles (darts, etc.) behave a bit more realistically. Instead of disappearing when they hit decorations, they stick, as they would to a wall. I'm trying to make them bounce off of metal and glass ones. Once the bouncing's working, I'm gonna set 'em up to bounce off of level geometry if the texture it hits is something hard, like metal or rock. Once that's all working, I'll work on having them add themselves to the inventories of pawns you hit, so they can be retrieved from their corpses.

Besides some small details I'd like to mess with, some of the larger things I'd like to add are making the spy drone capable of frobbing things (accessing computers, using keypads, etc.) remotely, giving the plasma rifle limited wall penetration abilities (coupled with IR goggles or the new vision aug, the plasma rifle might actually have a purpose this way), and decapitation.

Postal
23rd Jul 2005, 08:43 AM
mmm, decapitation

If I recall correctly, I felt some of the weapons were useless after you had some of the others, ie the pump shotgun seemed useless once you had the auto shot. Also the silenced pistol seems to do nerf damage compaired to a silenced regular pistol. You do anything with them?

Smoke39
23rd Jul 2005, 10:18 PM
The regular pistol doesn't accept silencer mods in DX. I've changed that. The stealth pistol has always been more rapid than the regular pistol, though, which makes up for it's reduced damage a bit. I don't remember their relative accuracies, but my stealth pistol at least is more accurate than the regular pistol. It can also shoot underwater. It can't accept a laser sight, though, since it's a weird shape. They may need more modification; balance isn't really my forte.

For a while I had the sawed off shotgun's damage pumped up quite a bit. Then I remembered that several people in the PDX forums liked the sawed off as it was. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with them. I think I may have increased the accuracy difference between the two weapons.
Also, shotguns now have an absolute spread. What changes with skill and weapon mods is how close to where you're aiming the center of the spread lands. So you can't turn your shotgun into a sniper rifle anymore. Also, the sabot rounds now fire all five traces at the same spot, acting like a single slug.

Postal
24th Jul 2005, 11:02 AM
Cool Cool, you do anything with the LAMs or what ever they were called. I always thought those were cool.

Smoke39
24th Jul 2005, 09:08 PM
All grenades have had that ridiculous bounce sound replaced. I think that's the only change.

Neuroflare
25th Jul 2005, 02:30 AM
do you have an idea of when this will be released?

Postal
25th Jul 2005, 10:53 AM
Come on, come on, hurry up

Smoke39
25th Jul 2005, 01:19 PM
Stop rushing me! *cowers in fetal position* T.T

Smoke39
25th Jul 2005, 10:55 PM
Some random stuff I've implemented:

Weapons can only have one reload mod, having the same effect as five used to have. Reload mods never seemed to be very plentiful, and thus sorta pointless additions to your weapons.

I moved the 1st person mesh of the plasma rifle over to the right a bit to make it seem a bit more like you're holding it like a rifle, as you do in 3rd person.

NPCs no longer scream when gibbed. Kinda hard to scream when your noise-making and -manipulating parts are in pieces flying in random directions. Killing them with a headshot makes them grunt, which sends the same audible alert to other NPCs as pain does, instead of the loud death noise. Hard to test AI sound events, so I'm not sure how big the difference there is, but I assume it's quieter, and in any case it's kinda a neat effect that also lets you know when you get a clean headshot.

You can now pull decorations from underneath other decorations, if you're strong enough. I was hoping to let you carry stacks of decos, but I don't know how to get that to work, at least not without a lot of annoying code that memorizes the relative rotation and position of decos to their bases.

Carcs of torched people smoke for a while.
Some stuff relating to ammo retrieval from carcs.

Postal
26th Jul 2005, 04:43 AM
Personaly I think DX1 had better physics then DX2, so what if DX2 had Karma/Havoc, you couldnt stack decos, you tcouldn hurt people by droping things on them. You threw corpses about as far as you could throw a basketball, it was all messed up.

Smoke39
26th Jul 2005, 06:40 PM
IW had fancier physics, but the calibration was definitely quite a bit off. And the way you jumped was freaky. It was slow and floaty, and high.

Postal
26th Jul 2005, 07:23 PM
IW had the code for better physics, but they didnt do it right. Also for somereason I couldnt get IW to run smooth, it ran better the higher I set the settings, but it just didnt seem like a good game, so I gave it away.

Smoke39
27th Jul 2005, 02:22 AM
It was a pretty good game, but compared to the original it was rather pathetic.

Smoke39
27th Jul 2005, 06:05 AM
Your hands are now the color you selected.

Smoke39
27th Jul 2005, 07:49 AM
If you're standing on a decoration, you footstep sounds are now based on what it's made of, instead of what the ground under it is made of. It always bugged me that jumping on metal crates in the grass on Liberty Island made grass noises.

Postal
27th Jul 2005, 03:11 PM
Sounds like youre doing all the stuff the game designers should have done.

Smoke39
27th Jul 2005, 06:12 PM
That's largely what I'm going for, with sundry additons.

Rather than quickly putting away their weapons when killed, NPCs now drop whatever weapon they're carrying.
Rather than affecting accuracy, adding a laser weapon mod to the GEP gun will now cut the time it takes to get a lock in half.
Shells are reloaded individually into the sawed off shotgun. Could use a better sound, but the functionality's working.

Postal
27th Jul 2005, 08:11 PM
Been replaying the game. I recall one of my major complaints IMHO was that there was not enough tranq darts and riot prod ammo in the game. I love just running up and riot proding someone.

Also why is it that if you tranq dart someone they instantly know you there, I hate sneaking up on someone, tranq them, then they turn and shoot me.

Smoke39
27th Jul 2005, 08:42 PM
What, you think it's weird that someone should turn to see who just stuck a big dart in their back? Headshots are a bit easier with retrievable projectiles now, since their collision sizes are zero until they stick to something. That means their HitLocation can be more precise. Also, the headshot detection code appears to be totally bogus, so I'm gonna try to fix that sometime.
Wha'd'you need nonlethal ammo for when you got a baton?

I've make skill affect the speed with which you pump the sawed off shotgun, so you get a little ROF bonus at higher skill levels.

Postal
28th Jul 2005, 09:12 AM
yea baton sweet, but I love riot proding people. *zap-zap*

Yea I know they should turn and look for you, but I hate creeping up on someone, leaning around a corner, firing a shot, then leaning back, then having the guy I shot come running around the corner and shoot me in the face.

Smoke39
28th Jul 2005, 08:23 PM
Then run away and hide. :b

Someone I met at DXE is making some changes to maps for hiding secret items. I haven't made any of the items yet (trying not to let myself until I finish the other stuff), but it should be neat to have some new things to find.

Smoke39
29th Jul 2005, 12:37 AM
The plasma rifle now shoots through stuff. The method I used for shooting through walls doesn't really work if there's a wall close behind the wall you're trying to shoot through, but besides that it works quite nicely with the new tech goggles or new vision aug at a high level.

Smoke39
29th Jul 2005, 01:45 AM
You should now be able to shoot through glass windows with bullets. It works at the silo place, in any case.

Smoke39
29th Jul 2005, 04:56 AM
Ejected sabot shells are now blue, as seen in the ammo pickup boxes. Also, shotgun shells are ejected when the sawed off shotgun is pumped, rather than when fired. Someday I'd like to improve the ejection code for all bullet shell casings to position the shell better.

Postal
29th Jul 2005, 07:59 AM
how about making the sniper rifle shoot though people?

Smoke39
29th Jul 2005, 04:00 PM
What would be the purpose of that, other than being cool and making the sniper rifle perhaps even more powerful than it already is?

Smoke39
29th Jul 2005, 05:44 PM
Some new shell casings I'm about to import into the game.

Postal
29th Jul 2005, 07:42 PM
Several times I have lined up shots of a couple of NSF. Im not asking for more damage or ROF, Im only asking to be able to get 2 for the price of one.

Funny this time Im replaying DX, I find my self mainly using a scoped sil pistol. Even though I got an upgraded sniper and ar. Seems after the first mission, pulling off headshots with the silenced pistol is much more effective then the traq darts or the AR.

Smoke39
29th Jul 2005, 09:09 PM
Lots of people find themselves using a modded pistol through most of the game. That's what I always did. Both the laser and scope used to make weapons perfectly accurate when they were used, so you could pull off headshots way too easily from too far away with them.

Spydrones can now frob keypads, computers, ATMs, and information devices (datacubes, books, etc.). The frobable items' frames don't show up in the right place, but besides that the spydrone is quite a bit more interesting now.

Postal
30th Jul 2005, 10:58 AM
I love how the MIB explode when they die, I wanna explode when I die.

Anywho, youre mod sounds awesome, I will replay the game again when you release it.

Smoke39
31st Jul 2005, 12:49 AM
Small detail: the frames that appear around stuff you're pointing at now oscillate smoothly, rather than moving inward and then jerking back outward. Also, the shuriken have a standing accuracy bonus indicator on the crosshair, like other weapons that fire projectiles.

I fixed the spydrone issue, and changed the way you see from its POV.

One tenth of the damage you deal to pawns goes toward paying for the next level of that weapon's skill. That's 10 points for the average pawn. I'm not sure if that's the perfect amount; it has to be enough to make a difference, but not so much that you end up having too many skill points.

Postal
31st Jul 2005, 08:42 AM
Hmm, 10 skill points per person. That could help get weapon mastery nice and fast.
I like that.

Smoke39
31st Jul 2005, 10:32 PM
The resolution of Deus Ex's mesh format is too low. D:< Look what it did to my shotgun.
Edit: I just thought of something. The sword and shuriken are both detailed enough to have an enviromap just a tiny bit above the blade. Why isn't my shotgun taking advantage of that added resolution? Plus there are those smoothing groups that make no sense. I can never get models into Unreal engine games right!
Edit: Using 3ds2de instead of the Deus Ex exporter I got for MS3D seemed to fix most of the errors. Animating with 3ds2de is gonna be a huge pain, though...

Smoke39
1st Aug 2005, 09:43 PM
New WP rocket explosion.

Smoke39
2nd Aug 2005, 12:06 AM
I've reworked the headshot detection code slightly. It was possible to get headshots consistently before if you knew how the code worked, but now you can get headshots consistently by actually aiming at their head.

Smoke39
2nd Aug 2005, 12:35 AM
The assault gun now fires three instead of five round bursts. Firing a longer stream also sounds more continuous rather than a string of bursts.

Smoke39
2nd Aug 2005, 03:46 AM
Shells now bounce with some randomness, so they don't form nice neat little piles anymore. Observe the shot. Also, the shell ejection code has been rewritten and works nicely. :) The AG, sawedoff, and pistol all spawn shells in the proper place. The rest still need to have their offsets calibrated.

Postal
2nd Aug 2005, 08:35 AM
BTW, a properly tuned gun with good ammo should be consistant with its brass ejection patterns. When the brass starts ejecting farther, or faster, then you know the recoilsping is taking a set, and should be replaced.

Smoke39
3rd Aug 2005, 03:12 AM
Does that mean the new piles are bad? But the old ones looks so stupid. XP

The carcass frob code has been largely rewritten. Besides fixing some weird errors, the summary of what you find is now completely graphic, with items you can't pick up being displayed in red.

Smoke39
3rd Aug 2005, 04:53 AM
You can now pick up carcs that still have inventory you can't pick up.

Postal
3rd Aug 2005, 06:09 PM
the new piles are much better

Ooo I like the those changes, esp being able to move bodies which have stuff.

Smoke39
3rd Aug 2005, 07:07 PM
In addition to fixing the bug with initial skills ages ago, I've now fixed the bug that caused inventory from a previous game to persist into a new game.

Postal
4th Aug 2005, 04:45 AM
Those 2 bugs I noticed when I started playing the GOTY edition. V1 that I had I dont recall having those bugs.

Smoke39
4th Aug 2005, 11:32 PM
Plain darts now break sometimes when hitting stuff they can stick to. I also fixed a bug that was allowing you to retrieve shuriken even if you had full ammo.
Real exciting, I know. :rolleyes:

Smoke39
5th Aug 2005, 03:40 AM
Finished another hidden weapon. That makes three, now, except for the part where the shotgun's using a recolored sawed off shotgun mesh...

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention a while ago that using a scope now makes bullets shoot from your exact point of view, instead of using the weapon bob, and projectiles spawn two units below that point. This is so you don't have to worry about the weird projectile spawn offset when using a scope, since, if you're looking through the scope, the barrel is directly underneath instead of off to the side as when you're shooting from the hip, right?

Postal
5th Aug 2005, 06:06 AM
Sounds much better, so what do you have left to do?

Smoke39
5th Aug 2005, 03:43 PM
Making retrievable projectiles add themselves to carcs (which I can't figure out), fixing the new headshot detection code I added, fixing the way accurate/max range works on instant-hit weapons (also being a pain). Other than that, there are a few things to fix and add.

Postal
5th Aug 2005, 06:13 PM
ETA on final product?

Smoke39
8th Aug 2005, 06:52 AM
I don't know.

I've modified the drugged view effect. The screen no longer blackens unless you're poisoned; it's clear if you're drunk. Also, when you're drugged enough for your view to start wobbling around, your gun moves counter to the wobble, making aiming nearly impossible.

What I'd like to implement are hallucinations while high on zyme. I'm trying to remember the insanity effects from Eternal Darkness. A statue that turns to face you, blood dripping down walls, the sound of someone banging on a door, seeing yourself dead in a bathtub, exploding while trying to use a spell, walking into a room and finding it upsidedown, seeing a volume display move down then back up on the screen, seeing the screen seem to turn off (thought we had a blackout for a second when that happened XD)... I think making things appear behind you for you to see when you turn around could work, and having hallucinated sounds play would also work. Maybe things could shrink as you walk away from them, or fade away as you approach, or something...

Smoke39
8th Aug 2005, 10:34 PM
I've tweaked the projectile wall-penetration code. It works more consistently now. I could further increase its accuracy by increasing the number of traces it does when it hits a wall, but I don't think it's necessary.

Postal
9th Aug 2005, 07:30 PM
what about flashing colors for the drugs? I recall someone once made a posionious monster for unreal, and when you got stung, it got all psychodellic.

Smoke39
12th Aug 2005, 04:03 PM
I've made your footsteps echo, and added explosions spawning randomly in the skybox. I'm not sure exactly how to go about making funky lights.

I've also made it so you can interrupt the sawed off shotgun's reload, now.

Postal
14th Aug 2005, 11:31 AM
What weapons do you upgrade when you play the game. I normal used a laser and clips on the AR, accuracy on the sniper, and the reload, scope on the sil pistol.

Im debating trying maxing out the bow, or focusing on the shotguns.

Postal
24th Aug 2005, 11:31 AM
Status update please.

Smoke39
26th Aug 2005, 07:01 AM
Fixed a few bugs. Our internet's finally up an' running, btw.