PDA

View Full Version : Cool or Lame?

Peregrine
11th Jul 2005, 05:59 PM
I've always wanted this feature. I think it would totally rock.

After you get killed you can press CAPS LOCK or something else and it will replay the last 5-10 seconds so you can see your death from a 3rd person view.

Cool or lame?

Selerox
11th Jul 2005, 06:15 PM
That wouldn't be a bad feature, but it's probably not something that many people would be too bothered about :)

snakeX
11th Jul 2005, 06:16 PM
nice idea!!!

shadow_dragon
11th Jul 2005, 06:39 PM
Kinda cool but how to implement it?
Game freezes while action replay takes place and then resumes after? Only in signle player? If in multiplayer does it freeze everything, if so do all the other players have to watch your replay? Etc.

Msotly i think if you acn't multiplayer it, it probably won't be in there.

The_Head
11th Jul 2005, 06:41 PM
It could be a clientside thing and you could jsut see yourself die again before spawning. Shouldnt be too hard to implement I would think

Discord
11th Jul 2005, 06:43 PM
Heh... like the CoD killcam, kinda. That was fun. :)

Here's how it should probably work IMO:

1. Clientside config option (checkbox): enable instant death replay.

2. If that box is unchecked, your deaths look just like they do now only higher- poly.

3. If that box is checked, you see the replay. If you hit alt- fire during the replay, you revert to the standard realtime radgoll view.

4. Regardless of the box's status (checked or not), you respawn as soon as you click fire.

If it's done right (in a user- friendly way), it will be cool. If it's done wrong, it will be lame.

*edit* No, this kind of thing doesn't pause the game. Only the dead man sees his replay. I dunno the mechanics of it, but it worked just fine in CoD...

-AEnubis-
12th Jul 2005, 01:30 AM
Yeah, it could be cool, for those "WTF BS" deaths.

Pretty much only pub useful, and would be auto-matically disabled if bForceRespawn=True.

Good way to help newb awareness too. Would be cool on many fronts.

killalot0
12th Jul 2005, 07:43 AM
haha good way to find those annoying snipers :D . i think a feature like this can be cool. if implented i think you should respawn when looking at it and just get some message above ure head so other players see ure watching your replay. it's then up to them to finish u or not. This way you can do it in gametypes like TAM and LMS. this way it can be a nice feature without any drawbacks.

also there should be a save funtion if you don't wanna watch it at that time. maybee a nice idea if you can see the best kills/deaths of players at the end of the match.

JaFO
12th Jul 2005, 08:15 AM
ah .. but if you were shot while viewing the replay would you *eh* continue the replay at the next spawn,etc ?

I think it would be cool :)
It should be extended to show the last frag/capture in the game as well ...

LooseCannon
12th Jul 2005, 09:54 AM
Cool :tup:

Sir_Brizz
12th Jul 2005, 12:42 PM
I like the idea.

klasnic
12th Jul 2005, 12:55 PM
Sounds good to me, implemented the way Discord suggests. Then again, being that good I'm unlikely to ever see a replay :lol:

Zur
12th Jul 2005, 04:44 PM
I like this idea. Perhaps make things such that the action can be automatically saved as a demo so you can watch it repeatedly.

JohnDoe641
12th Jul 2005, 08:32 PM
That would take up a lot of disk space, and thte longer you're alive the longer and more space the live/death demo will take up. It would also mean that demos would have to be able to track certain events and only play those without starting the demo over again.

It would be interesting, but would probably loose its wow factor after a few months. :(

shadow_dragon
12th Jul 2005, 09:21 PM
If you do this then i vote for an end game version of teh replay that tracks a longer replay of the winning event of any round. Flag capture, final frag, etc. Whilst showing the scoreboard screen.

klasnic
13th Jul 2005, 12:48 PM
Wasn't there something like this in Chaos or am I thinking of something else?

EL BOURIKO
14th Jul 2005, 05:58 AM
this kind of feature could disandvantage those players who are camping hidden on special places only known by few. This is not a matter of like or dislike camping (in fact IMO it s part of the game), but in this case the replay could then just destroy some tactical choices therefore I am not willing to see such thing...

-AEnubis-
14th Jul 2005, 04:48 PM
It won't matter for them that much, because mostly this game is desinged so they can't do that. The sniper weapon has a nasty trace on it in 2k4, I doubt that will change to 2k7, hence Epic doesn't want that sort of thing happening. It would only help noobs who aren't quick enough to see that trace.

EL BOURIKO
15th Jul 2005, 03:56 AM
hehehe, i ve seen some experienced players really surprised with some crazy, smart and creative camping in Asbestos (in the 2x damage room on the roof over the lift), in Oceanic (many many places, at least 7 crazy camping/ambush spots there) , In Idoma (on the roof structure for instance), in deck17 (right under the roof, one shield gun jump over the 17 number), in Goliath (over the 50 shield bonus), in leviathan (right under the roof in the shock rifle room)... and it took them some shots to realize where it came from. In addition while camping you don t always need to use your lightning and then no trace is left.
that s the reason why I am not willing to see a frag replay if it destroys some tactical choice. (But don t misunderstand me, i am not saying that camping is good or not, i just say that it is part of the game, and that s reason why we have to respect that and deal with it, a replay would not deal with that aspect but would just destroy it --> unfair)

if you re looking for some wtf spots, stupid and idiots spots, unknown spots, smart and ridiculous spots and some other tricks well a good part of those i know about can be found there (sorry for my poor english):
http://wave.prohosting.com/udsclan/TT.htm

O.S.T
17th Jul 2005, 01:42 PM

After you get killed you can press CAPS LOCK or something else and it will replay the last 5-10 seconds so you can see your death from a 3rd person view.

Cool or lame?
cool in a mode like last man standing
but in every other mode it's waste

UnrealGrrl
18th Jul 2005, 08:44 PM
cool...

play the last few seconds and you dont respawn until it finishes playing so if you want to see it you have to wait to get back to the action,

take it a step further and do a slow-mo instant replay of the last 3-5 seconds of a match on the winning player or flag stand thats displayed to all. :)

EL BOURIKO
19th Jul 2005, 01:06 AM
I see 2 negative points to see that feature WHILE we play.

-first, as I mentionned before, it could reveal to the other where you re hidden when you camp (and sorry, but camping is just a part of the game as any other aspects)
-second, a replay of 10 seconds could be used to save some time before you respawn. let s consider that you ve been fragged 10 times and you wanna watch each of these death then you re away from the pitch during 1mn 40 s. if you get the lead these 1mn40s could be a great advantage if saved.

The only place where I could consider a replay would be at the very end of the game while we wait for the new map. we could then imagine that you could see the replays of the last 3 frags you wish to see and that you ve marked with CAP LOCK while you played.

-AEnubis-
19th Jul 2005, 01:33 AM
1- No one really likes campers, and the game does a great many things to deter them anyways.

2- It would probably be disabled with force-respawn on, and currently, you don't need to watch a replay if you really think "not spawning" will allow you some sort of tactical advantage. You can do it anyways.

MxX
19th Jul 2005, 01:50 AM

Cool or lame?

I wouldn`t use this feature :o

EL BOURIKO
19th Jul 2005, 03:41 AM
1- No one really likes campers, and the game does a great many things to deter them anyways.

It s not a matter of "like" or "dislike" campers, it s a matter of leaving the choice to anyone to play the way they wish without having a replay that destroy it.
Don t misunderstand me, I am not a camper apologist, I just accept and respect any kind of playing style since it is part of the game. But if Epic is really willing to deter this kind of playing style then they should announce to anyone on the pitch when and where someone is camping as they do in Last Man Standing.

and a last opinion that have nothing to do with this thread, I am actually admirative when i meet a camper that succeed to reach some unexpected/unknown/selective spots, these one deserve respect just in regard of their creativity and/or jumping skills. BUT Of course these kind of campers who stand for ages with a full charged SG in the translocator exit of the deemer platform in Deck17 don t deserve any respect at all.

Sir_Brizz
19th Jul 2005, 09:49 AM
So just go the old fashioned way and make an option to watch them or not watch them :p

-AEnubis-
19th Jul 2005, 03:19 PM
I was simply illustrating the fact that Epic has done things to deter camping before (warning in LMS, trail on the LtG, traces on mini-bullets, better blocking volumes, etc), and that this would't be any different.

A good camper will simply exploit the tactical advantage of his position whether or not the target knows he's there. It shouldn't matter that they know he's there. If it is a good spot, knowing he's there, doesn't even garuntee you can get there yourself (jumping skill etc).