PDA

View Full Version : Belief in a better game

Zur
10th Jul 2005, 07:20 AM
Who here among you believes that UT2007 will be a hit ? Come on, speak out. Instead of making self-realizing prophecies about a game that will inevitably be rubbish, let's all show that we want this game to be *IT* for the next three years.

Taleweaver
10th Jul 2005, 09:05 AM
Ehm...Yes?

Seriously. How can anyone a year in advance know whether the game will be great or not? We can discuss the aspects of the in's and out's, but nobody knows how the total will work out. All "self-realizing prophecies" are worthless, the positive ones as well as the negative. Let's talk again when the demo is out, shall we?

Zur
10th Jul 2005, 09:10 AM
True but notice that this didn't stop a horde of people vaunting the carateristics of previous games. What are you personally looking forward to in UT2007 ? For me, it will be a slight change in gameplay and more solid "footing" when your character moves about.

EL BOURIKO
10th Jul 2005, 12:10 PM
what a weird poll ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

how can we seriously answer to this question, we (well, I) have just seen some dark low resolution small videos of a tank driving in a narrow street!!!
I guess that it will be my last and only check in this thread called BELIEF IN A BETTER GAME

Zur
10th Jul 2005, 12:26 PM
Lol, it's the religious type of thing ;P . It's not about the facts but the anticipation of what might be the makings of a next generation game. There is a bit more to go on than the preview videos (there's a hi-res version out there) of the game with all the information on Unreal Engine 3. Check out Huxley on Google when you can as it shows what UE3 is capable of.

-AEnubis-
10th Jul 2005, 02:58 PM
All concerns of what it will take to run the game aside (as though I haven't expressed this in many other threads), I'm extrememly confident this game is going to be awesome. Weapon balance should exceed 2k4 as well as 2k4 did UT, and most likely they have learned enough about mapping with the new "higher details" that maps won't be as meshy as 2k3's. Those are my 2 main concers.

Weapon balance being first of my concens, the only thing that "hangs in the balance" is how they handle the sniper weapon. They will prolly keep it secret or under wraps for as long as possible, but from the looks of things, the only 2 hit-scan weapons are to be shaft and shock beam (barring the enforcers maybe, which are not a huge concern). If that stays true, with the return of the impact hammer, and no more mini gun, the weapon set alone, is got me looking hella forward to this game.

T2A`
10th Jul 2005, 07:56 PM
My concerns are the following:

1) Shock rifle. If it's not Jesus H. Christ reincarnated in the right hands (or wrong, if you look at it another way) then I will be happy.
2) Vehicles. Hopefully vehicular combat will either be a) gotten rid of completely or b) actually fun and interesting.

If these two things happen then UT2007 will rock.

AMmayhem
11th Jul 2005, 12:37 PM
What are you personally looking forward to in UT2007 ?

To be honest, I'm not really looking forward to it much at all. I do have hopes that it will be a great game, but at the current rate of the series, I find it doubtful. :hmm: But I've always tended to be a skeptic on such things. So maybe it won't be as bad.

I'm just ready for Unreal 3, not another Tournament, an actual single player Unreal 3 like the very first Unreal.

Steyr
11th Jul 2005, 12:41 PM
I have faith in Epic. They will rule all you doubters.

gregori
14th Jul 2005, 07:58 AM
not a religion!

Persefone
14th Jul 2005, 08:23 AM
Isnīt UT a religion?!:eek:

gregori
14th Jul 2005, 08:24 AM
verry funny!

Al
14th Jul 2005, 01:24 PM
I want it for PS3 so me and my buddy can play splitscreen online.

edhe
15th Jul 2005, 03:21 AM
Splitscreen? Render it on two seperate HDTVs :)

By the time it comes out the LCDs will have dropped another coupla hundred bucks.

Israphel
15th Jul 2005, 06:15 AM
Interestingly (well...not really) 9 people voted "yes", 3 people voted"yes" and 8 people voted "and yes"...

...what could it all mean.

From what I've seen and read I reckon this is going to be a damned good game and will certainly keep the UT2kx crowd happy...Whether it will win back people who went off the series after UT2k3 or get BF2 players is another matter completely and remains to be seen, but I really hope so.

Like Azura I'm most looking forward to seeing the changes in movement, balance and perspective.
Sure, I'm looking forward to Conquest and seeing if Epic can hit the nail with Onslaught (which has gameplay issues that need re-dressing imo). Sure the eye-candy will be cool and I'm interested to see if Epic get back to gameplay over graphics on the maps....but above all else comes the movement for me. Epic have promised "up-close killing" and I'm really hoping that the hit-scan domination will be toned down significantly.

Then we can say if it will rock or not.

K.N.I.F.E
15th Jul 2005, 07:00 AM
My concerns are the following:

1) Shock rifle. If it's not Jesus H. Christ reincarnated in the right hands (or wrong, if you look at it another way) then I will be happy.
2) Vehicles. Hopefully vehicular combat will either be a) gotten rid of completely or b) actually fun and interesting.

If these two things happen then UT2007 will rock.

Vehicles are the main reason I got UT2004.

edhe
15th Jul 2005, 07:24 AM
Good marketing wasn't it ;)
Saved alot of the costs of making 2k3...[/cynic]

rhirud
15th Jul 2005, 07:32 AM
UT2004 is a very good game. The marketing went all wrong. I can't see the same mistake happening again.

Vault
15th Jul 2005, 12:41 PM
i see yes is winning...... but i also see that it is losing :y5:

Sahkolihaa
15th Jul 2005, 12:55 PM
Sorry but at the moment I think it's going to suck. I prefer UT2004 :rolleyes:

LooseCannon
16th Jul 2005, 03:01 AM
This poll is like a 'Join the Euro currency' referendum. So I voted 'yes I'm looking forward to UT2k7', because I don't agree with 'yes UT2k7 will flop', or 'yes UT should be more like pong'. Easy decsion for me. :D

G.Lecter
16th Jul 2005, 06:24 AM
I'm sure it will rock. Everything sounds very interesting.
But I'm not so sure about how well it will run in older computers... :hmm:

--->FromAnoobis°
17th Jul 2005, 08:32 AM
hi all,first time postin here.

i know i might be the only person on earth to see things this way but:
me loves lightningun
me hates regular snipegun
so i hope there ll be a lightningun which i can tuck under my pillow and have sweet dreams with(mmmmh!laurennnn....ahhhhrrrrrr....)

O.S.T
17th Jul 2005, 12:39 PM
let's all show that we want this game to be *IT* for the next three years.
sounds pretty desperate to me.

-AEnubis-
17th Jul 2005, 05:44 PM
LtG is said to be gone, though a traditional sniper rifle is not expected.

I'm thinkin' it'll be something new.

Capt.Toilet
17th Jul 2005, 10:40 PM
I dont think marketing had anything to do with it. At the time of the demo release i believe it was said that 1 million plus downloads of the demo had happened in like a few days time. Now i know consider some multiple downloads for friends and whatnot, but thats still a pretty damn good number. I think it lies primarily on that UT2k4 is just too damn hard for the casual gamer to learn. You can pick up a copy of UT and jump into the action instantly, the same can not be said of 2k4 with its over excessive use of the bunny hope and long distance hurdling. For 2k7 to succeed I hope these things happen.

1. Make all weapons useable and stray away from hitscan being the dominant weapon of choice. As it stands 2k4's shock rifle fires at a fast rate and in the hands of a good player thats all you really would need. Once hit with it, it locks you down so to speak and sometimes its pretty hard to get away from it. Make it like UT's shocky(primary shot speed = 1 shot every 2 seconds give or take) instead of a shot a second and it should balance that out quite a bit.

2. Less hopping, more chopping/Less running, more gunning. Epic is already on the right path with this by getting rid of the shield gun and nerfing the distance of the dodge jumps so hopefully this works out in the end.

3. Make it THE game and not continue this stupid sports crap title every damn year. Thats EA's job to be money hungry bastards who churn out the same title year after year with only marginal improvements. Make this game the best you can and let it runs its course. UT is what 6 years going on 7 years here in a few months or so and it still has the same amount that are playing 2k4, if not a tad more.

Ok i usually dont do long posts, but ill make an exception. Have a nice day!!

Persefone
22nd Jul 2005, 08:56 PM
Sorry but at the moment I think it's going to suck. I prefer UT2004 :rolleyes:
Donīt worry, UT2008 will correct UT2007;)

klasnic
23rd Jul 2005, 09:31 AM
I vote yes;

and I don't care how much it's delayed if it means getting a better game. I don't wanna see it rushed or thrown out the door once 'it's done'. In fact a UT2008 would suit me even better in that regard.

Looking at 2k4, sure it's better than 2k3 in some ways but in others it's not. You can tell a whole lot of things weren't thought through/implemented properly. I do believe we'll get a better game and imho there's little/nothing that wrong with 2k4... So, here's hoping and if it doesn't pan out the way I'd hope I'll still play 2k4 anyway :D

[EDIT] and surely the UT minions will finally be drawn into the fold. ppl still play that? :eek:

Persefone
23rd Jul 2005, 03:42 PM
[EDIT] and surely the UT minions will finally be drawn into the fold. ppl still play that? :eek:
Err... yes, now and again:o

->Sachiel<-
24th Jul 2005, 11:11 AM
Sales wise, UT2007 will rock even if it sucks as a game(which i SEVERELY doubt it will ). I voted "and yes".

edhe
25th Jul 2005, 04:51 AM
Sales wise it's unlikely to rock the boat that much, 2k3/2k4 didn't.

->Sachiel<-
25th Jul 2005, 04:53 AM
I thought UT2004 did well.

klasnic
25th Jul 2005, 03:37 PM
I seem to remember 2k4 being @ no.2 in the US sales charts for months on end so if that's not good sales I dunno' what is :)

Bullet10k
26th Jul 2005, 09:14 PM
1. Make all weapons useable and stray away from hitscan being the dominant weapon of choice. As it stands 2k4's shock rifle fires at a fast rate and in the hands of a good player thats all you really would need. Once hit with it, it locks you down so to speak and sometimes its pretty hard to get away from it. Make it like UT's shocky(primary shot speed = 1 shot every 2 seconds give or take) instead of a shot a second and it should balance that out quite a bit.nonono

The shock rifle is fine as it is, 1 shot every 2 seconds would EXTREMELY SUCK. Its easy to say when your on the forums, but once you go ingame, you'll notice how long 2 seconds is in UT, its miserable. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating, cuz the LG has maybe a 2 second reload time but you get my point, and plus, the LG gives more damage. The current reload time is fine.

If you want to make it less hitscan-dominated, which is great, I'd love to fill a player with shrapnel, then maybe the maps should be designed differently and more up-and-close. And since the movement is being toned down anyways, it will be more up-and-close and less hitscan-dominated.

T2A`
26th Jul 2005, 10:11 PM
Two whole seconds for shock primary is overkill. The current shock rifle's rate of fire is one shot every .7 seconds, and the lightning is one shot every 1.6 seconds. One second and two seconds respectively would probably suffice, but the current map/player scale is a lot of the problem, so these firing rates might not have to be changed in the next game.

CloudConnected
26th Jul 2005, 10:20 PM
I say make the game noob, because those are the people that are going to be buying the engine and the game. They should lower the rof. Make the weapons insanely powerful. So there are less instances where there is a victor and a loser, but instead more people killing eachother at the same time. Make the projectile weapons more damaging and have a larger radius, so people can't get godlike as easily, don't reward people so much for fragging, but instead make it easier to get a frag on someone after you die, because the spawn weapon is powerful and it's harder to bulk up on health after suffering damage. Make health less abundant. Make the spawn weapon powerful and don't have a shieldgun because it's a hard concept for noobs to grasp. Make it a noob's game. Make it so chaotic that experienced players have little leverage against noobs that have played for 6 days.