DM-Crampage released! OMG!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
It's finally done! After a much-too-long beta testing period (totally my fault for being lazy), I'm finally ready to be done with it and let it out into the world. Thanks to those that helped me test it - your names are in the readme as promised. If I missed someone, sorry. I'll be submitting this to Insite, though not reviewing it myself, so I'll let you guys know when it gets reviewed. :D

Map: DM-Crampage
Game: 1v1 and FFA
Players: 2-4 (4 is stretching it; there's only four spawn points)
Version: Final (hopefully)
Screenshots: See attachments.
Info: There's a crapload of it in the readme. Check it out.
Why you should download it: Because it's fun! It flows smoothly for such a small level, and those with good movement skills can come up with some crazy ways to get around. Trust me; I've done it. ;)
Linkage: http://insite.beyondunreal.com/dl.php/insite/ut2004/dm/dm-crampage.zip (7.2 MB)
http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=8568 (NaliCity)
http://www.unrealplayground.com/maps.php?mapid=9494 (Unreal Playground)
Enjoy! :crazydance:

Attachments

• crampage_1.jpg
    crampage_1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 71
  • crampage_2.jpg
    crampage_2.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 63
  • crampage_3.jpg
    crampage_3.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

cubemario

Cubely Wrath
Apr 5, 2005
Canada, Alberta, Calgary
I just finished playing it, first I played it on a TDM 3vs 3, it was a little cramped:lol: . It was pretty fun but a bit spammy, so I decided to play it on your player recommendation.

I fought good ol' xan on adept with mountain dew skin. Good ol' mountain dew.. anyway, You did a really good job with the design of the map, and the bots were really programmed well, they were quite smart. I still owned them though :p. The music wasn't too bad either, I would prefer other music, but it's still tolerable and not annoying.

All in all a solid map, this one belongs on the fragBU rotation.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Taleweaver said:
Now where's that front page mentioning?
I'll send the newsies a word once I get this on FileWorks. Don't know if the current host can handle all that.

cubemario said:
You did a really good job with the design of the map, and the bots were really programmed well, they were quite smart. I still owned them though :p. The music wasn't too bad either, I would prefer other music, but it's still tolerable and not annoying.
Thanks! The music I was iffy about as well, but I thought it was neat. Something kinda soothing while fragging away, you know?

PS: Turn up that difficulty slider and try to own them! ;)

Virax

Apr 13, 2004
Sexy. I wish I'd waited until I was this good until releasing my first map...

Jebidiah

slacker/mapper
Oct 13, 2003
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Visit site
Wow... This may be a first map, but it doesn't show any signs of it. The readme claims a haphazard layout, and while that may be so, I found that to be the strongest point of the map! I felt like freakin' superman, walldodging my way through myriad levels of z-axis, blasting off on teleporters, and spending more time airborne than on the ground. Glorious. This thing is tight as can be and flows fantastically. Bots shot me down very well, and surprised me several times with their willingness to make tricky jumps and maneuvers.
Yes, theme is industrial, but still, it does plenty fine thanks to little touches. I especially enjoyed the indications of an outside world, like a small walk through the rain, visible geometry outside the windows, and boarded off passages. Rankin just seemed so isolated, while Crampage is obviously part of something bigger. Plus, it has attitude, especially thanks to the cool music. Only suggestion: Next time, something non-industrial (as long as it's not egyptian!).
Suffice to say that I will be quite upset if we don't get more maps from Turns2Ashes sometime soon. Maybe more reviewers should start mapping!

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Glad it's going over well.

However, Mozi found a bug, in case you haven't checked NaliCity or news post thread. With high world and/or physics settings (not sure which triggers it and I don't feel like messing around with it at the moment), it's possible to shoot the two pipe meshes next to the shock rifle out of the map. I somehow accidently added KActors instead of static meshes, and KActors have physics attached. Thus, with the right settings and a properly-placed shot... away they go. :(

Doesn't harm the gameplay, but it's still annoying. Especially since I spent so much time making sure things were as perfect as they could be and those things have been like that since I put them there. :rolleyes: Only reason I and all the beta-testers didn't catch it is due to not playing with the right settings. Let this be a lesson: Test your own maps with "holy sh*t" settings. :eek:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Nice first map T2A, I didn't think the track fitted right, but I usually play without music so I don't care too much about that. One thing I did notice was that there are hardly triggered sounds around, even though all those metal staircases could've used some sort of clang to tell the opponent(s) where you are, plus the wooden floor could've been creeking too. Very nice go for a first map, I hope the next one will become a bit more special, this one felt a bit stale, theme/visual wise.
Good job!:tup:

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Turns2Ashes said:
Glad it's going over well.

However, Mozi found a bug, in case you haven't checked NaliCity or news post thread. With high world and/or physics settings (not sure which triggers it and I don't feel like messing around with it at the moment), it's possible to shoot the two pipe meshes next to the shock rifle out of the map.

It's 'High' physics that causes it. World detail has no effect.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Well I remembered why this thing slipped by me while building it. Last night I thought it was because I placed those two meshes and never touched them again, but I remembered that that's not true. I messed with the meshes again at a later point in the build and set them to bSpecialLit since they were lighting up funky. The reason, I'm sure, that I didn't catch this bug was because of Windows theme I'm using, which, for whatever reasons, has both the title bar and the text on the title bar of the UnrealEd properties pop-up box set to white. Thus, I don't see "Static Mesh properties" in the title bar or whatever when I open it up. I bet if I could have seen "KActor properties" up there I would have noticed and done something about it. :(

/me changes Windows theme again.

Old Gil

°J2°'s resident lagger
Jun 20, 2004
*downloads* this best be good T2A for me to spend 45 mins - an hour downloadin it :p