Anyone having problems with Battlefield 2??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

U/D/T/SNAKE

Only partially annoying now
First let me say, the most fun I have ever had in an online game ever! It is awsome, all the vehicle fags aside. My last game I played as an SF and I stayed behind lines blowing up guns and there comm center. This caused them to continually send squads that could be fighting, to come and kill me. The whole idea of the gameplay is awsome. I trully had an effect on the oppositions ability to kill our guys. Not to mention if the other team has a good commander, you can expect arty barrages almost continually.

Anyway, the game is quirky as hell. Some games I play fine others are just a catostrophic mess. Ihave tried everything from turning down graphics (no help) to disabling all sorts of **** that runs on my pc. I should be able to play any game fine with my rig (dual core 3.2, 4 gig ram and 6800 ultra), anyone else having these difficulties from time to time. Granted its not all the time but when it happens its a bitch. Appreciate any suggestion.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Leaving the gameplay aside, I have no problems whatsoever running the game on my computer with all settings on max. Sure it's not an outdated driver in there somewhere? I should mention that I haven't played it with more than 16 players though.

Last edited by a moderator:

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
There's only so much optimization you can do with 64 players. Turn down your visual range, perhaps, and turn down (or turn up?) your connection speed settings. In those big games the connection rate will make a ton of difference.

The BF games require MONSTER servers. You guys may want to inspect where you're playing, it's quite possible many admins are trying to run something far too large for thier systems... It's a sad fact on games like this.

U/D/T/SNAKE

geogob said:
Yes, server admin definately over estimate their servers. Changing servers often do the trick. Most server I see can't handle more than 32 players.

I found that as well. I do have a feeling that the game itself perhaps has some coding problems or is just very very incompatible with some programs, ports or files. A good patch is what the game needs. And that F'N browser is the abolute worst. Also quiting the game can be an experience too. For all its "pain in the arse" problems, it sure is fun. I was just playing and I was yet again blowing up enemy guns and comm center when this terd pops out and starts firing me up while I have c4 in my hand. I know Im dead there is know way I can switch and kill him while hes that close but of course Ill try, literally just then he is completely hosed down by 3 of my teamates who arrived in a vehicle. I was just like YEAAAH!!!!. so much fun.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
I think i've only had one crash so far. The most common issue i have is that when i start the game up and login, it automatically tried to find me a server and just keeps telling me it's logging into the account server. Very annoying if i'm planning on doing a single player game. The server browser as someone mentioned is utter trash, it hangs when retrieving info, the filters don't work, ect ect ect.

But once i get into a game it's all worth it. I'm getting to be quite the BF2 chopper pilot. But i'm an awful tank driver that's for sure. I nearly always get C4'd, or gang AT'd... so if i'm in a tank i usually grab the .50 cal

The thing that i really enjoy in they made just about every kit fun to play as. You can go around as a SF and demo their guns and vitals, sit on roof tops and snipe people from a distance, play as the SAW gunner and just lay down constant fire to hold back and advance while rearming your buddies (rare, most of them die before they run dry lol) The engineer seems the most underated and underplayed but mineing paths, and repairing vehicles makes quite the difference. Playing as a medic you can almost feel the thanks you get when you revive someone or heal a buddy.... and the Anti-tank kits are a devilish joy to tease and kill enemy armor.

For me, i love piloting the helos when i get a chance. (there's nothing worse than getting in a helo only to find out the pilot doesn't have a clue and plows you right into the ground) Blackhawks, or attack choppers it doesn't matter. I get a terrific smile when i hear my gunners open up and tear apart infantry, or put a helfire into a tank. I find it massivly annoying that the AI gunners NEVER use missles though, and their gunnery aim leaves alot to be desiered.

I haven't really tried playing as the commander yet, at the moment i feel most comfortable being a squad leader. Just enough responsibility and action to keep me busy.

U/D/T/SNAKE

I know exactly what you mean about jumping in a chopper as a gunner. My first thought is always "is this guy gonna flip us on our side into mother earth as soon as we take off, or is he sharp" Im actually quite the pilot as well. I found that by turning up the mouse (both axis as well as sensitivity) all the way, its way easier to control the birds. Im a decent tank driver but somwhat of a ***** (for exactly what you mentioned) getting AT's as soon as you get into a fight is the worst and really leaves you feeling like you just let down the rest of those poor bastards in a world of **** ussusally to contend with a couple of armor (tanks and LAV), as for the planes, i absolutely suck ( I guess you really need a joy stick) I always always got shot up by some unseen anti aircraft or crafty pilot. I only use the planes now to take me to a far away spot and bail out. Its actually kinda wierd going down and watching all the bad guys try to shoot you up.

You should definitely try the commander role. I did it after being in a game for around 3 hours and had a good repor with the team ( i was picking off bad guys with the 50 cal sniper rifle. you can hit them so far away they just stand there firing in all directions then zap got another. Its easy to unlock the weapons just not all servers allow the unlock. Anyway, i digress, as commander I just found a hiding spot and pulled up the map and just went at it not knowing what I was doing. Within around 10 minutes I was fairly easily calling in the drones for recon, and arty strikes continually (just gotta make sure to use the button to warn your guys arty is comming or youll defintely destroy a whole squad. Anyway, fun fun fun.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Sucks that I can't change the key setup, it always says the key is in use and can't be changed.

Love the ironsights.

Oh and I can't get my account to work. I have an accout for MOH:pA and also have one for gamespy, both don't work, but it says just the password is wrong (so nick is right), making a account remindthingy the password I get (which I know anyway) still doesn't mach, arghh.

Last edited:

U/D/T/SNAKE

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! **** **** **** **** **** **** mother ****in pice of ****!!!! Im gonna pull my ****in K-bar out of its plaque and stab myself in the ****in eye over this game. I just downloaded the new pice of **** mother ****in patch because it says that it enables more funtionality so I figure I can now use the left alt to sprint and yippie it lets me bind it but low and behold my left shift button that I use for crouching is now gone and cant be rebound. I cant play without that. Every mother ****in game ive played since forever I have used the left shift for crouching , who doesnt?, and now its ****ing gone. Im really starting to get upset.

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
This game made my graphics card go KEERRRRBOOOOMMM.
Repeatedly.
(Granted its a R9250 and I'm playing the demo but still causing the graphics card to fail completely is not a good sign.)
And seeing as there basically NO SUPPORT WHATSOEVER *ahem* its kinda hard to figure out.
So I'm gald I didn't burn my bandwidth getting this game ;)

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Heh, i do exactly the same thing, i up'd the sensitivity and found the whirlybirds much easier to control you just have to be gental with them and your fine. I also absolutly suck with the aircraft. I've seen people do crazy stuff with them, but i try to avoid them and let someone who's good put it to proper use. The other night i really got a chance to put a Corbra to use on (can't remember the name of the map. Only had 3 Flags, and the middle one was on a island that spawnd the chopper) One of my squad members jumped in as the gunner --who wasn't as aggressive as i had would've liked.. in my opinion since that machine gun has unlimited ammo, there's no reason not to fire it other than to let it cool -- but he was decent enough, and i tried to be the most cortious pilot in the world..... keepin the bird smooth and steady, circle strafing targets, always turning in the direction the gunner was looking when going back for a 2nd run so he never had to quickly turn around and re-aquire. And i found out the strategy for that map from the chopper's point of view was NOT to attack the enemy base directly since they have Anti-air missles, but rathar to stay on overwatch near your landing pad and kill the poor saps as they tried to advance over the bridges with armor. Eventually the enemy tanks didn't even bother to try and leave their main base and instead combat evolved into a long range sniper duel between tanks and chopper. Good fun.

I tried out the commander role the other night since nobody was even applying for the position. I find that in order to be a good commander to your team you really have to sit back and hang somewhere safe, and just concentrate on constantly sending up UAV coverage, and putting down artilarly. With the UAV coverage i usually play it by ear and try to decide if i want coverage around a Flag, or i'll do a sat scan and toss a UAV around a large group of enemy so that it's sent to my whole team. I usually judge a commander on UAV usage. If it's not up nearly constantly then he's doing something wrong. Artilarly is kinda difficult to use but the best tactic i find for it is retreat & recover. Like if a Flag is being seiged and you know that it's a lost cause i'll try and get my team to pull out so that they can clean up after the artilary hits... but i find this is very difficult to pull off becuase most people would prefer to fight to the death than pull out, and there's no general "fall back" order that you can quickly send out to everyone since it seems almost 50% of the people on a server don't bother to join a squad.. Oh well most people playing are probably kids and don't think about tactics & teamplay.

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
This is byfar the most frustrating game since Desert Combat - in terms of the interface, damage variables and gameplay...

Oh...wait...

Na, who am I kidding? It's sweet that soldiers can take three shots of 7.62 NATO to the head. God bless that sniper rifle.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I love the ironsights (best I´ve seen: light affected rearbitmap, 3D frontsight, finally as I wished glowing dots of the red dot sights [YEAH] and awesome sight movement, when walking), The gun shots are awesome, the weapon models are even on low setting beautiful, awesome 1st person animations.
I wished the next INF would be like that.

But the gameplay and realism is bad.