PDA

View Full Version : The flag in CTF should be something unique and futuristic

Bullet10k
2nd Jul 2005, 11:12 PM
To show you an example of what I mean:
http://www.unrealchampionship2.com/environments/gauntlet.jpg

That is an image from Unreal Championship 2, the Gauntlet map. Now, I'm pretty sure that is a CTF map, and thats how the flag looks like (correct me if I'm wrong). Now that IMO looks truly awesome, and it really shows that you're playing a futuristic bloodsport, rather than an army or war game (army and war games use the type of flag UT2004 uses).

Now if UT2007 would use a good looking futuristic flag like the one in the pic or something similar, then it would make UT2007's CTF stand apart from the rest.

Ofcourse, the classic flag should also be included for the oldies and the players should be able to choose which type of flag they want to see CLIENT-SIDE.

What you think?

Vault
3rd Jul 2005, 12:34 AM
yeah sure, why not? I'd like a "Lightsaber" like flag......

hold up, that just gave me an idea.... What if when you picked up the flag, it was a weapon, and it had infinite ammo, and you couldnt use any other weapon. (not like the ball gun in Bombing run) i could shoot different things depending on the map... do you guys like the idea?

Wowbagger
3rd Jul 2005, 03:55 AM
Yeah sure.

I have always thought that CTF could use some upgrade.
It needs to be made more "cool" to cap if you know what i mean maybe some nice effects etc.

What if the game went into slomo immidietly after a player capped by "jumping it" in and it showed some data who capped, who assisted etc. Very short, when the capper touch ground the game turns normal again.

I would like to see individual animations for CTF too. (for picking it up, capping etc)

Also instant replays on the screens all over the map would be nice.

Selerox
3rd Jul 2005, 04:40 AM
New flag animations are fair enough, but it's got to be y'know, a flag.

I'll take mine Classic with the chilli sauce.

Bot_40
3rd Jul 2005, 09:10 AM
:hmm:
imo more cheesy generic tech stuff is exactly what the game doesn't need.
And how is this going to fit with other map themes? Ancient and so on. If there are more flags available then the should be selected by the mapper.

Taleweaver
3rd Jul 2005, 09:19 AM
Flags, briefcases, secret plans, devices....
I'm happy with everything, as long as it's clearly visible who the flagcarrier is :)

Thanks to the UT200x HUD that points to the flag pole, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what object serves as flag. ;)

pilarius
3rd Jul 2005, 09:34 AM
I want classic flag...if it will not be classic flag (doesnt matter) it will not be Capture the Flag but Capture the (Team symbol, Energy core...).

EL BOURIKO
3rd Jul 2005, 10:07 AM
:hmm:
imo more cheesy generic tech stuff is exactly what the game doesn't need.
And how is this going to fit with other map themes? Ancient and so on. If there are more flags available then the should be selected by the mapper.

Of course things like that is just a question of taste, and even if we argue for ages noone will be able to prove to the others what is right or wrong to have.
In my opinion more than a new design for the flag, I prefer to think on how to improve the tactical side of CTF.
Anyway, more than a totally new item instead of the flag, what could be cool to have is a flag where you could put your own logo or symbol for instance.

Zur
3rd Jul 2005, 11:21 AM
hold up, that just gave me an idea.... What if when you picked up the flag, it was a weapon, and it had infinite ammo, and you couldnt use any other weapon. (not like the ball gun in Bombing run) i could shoot different things depending on the map... do you guys like the idea?

Very nice idea for a modified gametype. Imagine a flaming sword that slices through anything or shoots beams :p .

The_Head
3rd Jul 2005, 12:13 PM
Having something other than a flag would cause problems for the first time of playing the given map:
"what the hell does the 'flag' look like?"

Being able to have it custom for different maps would be nice, but it needs to be clear what the flag looks like. Perhaps a clear picture of it on a loading screen.
Also you could have a given set of Flags : Ancient, tech, oldschool flag etc

kafros
3rd Jul 2005, 04:04 PM
Why would you want the flag replaced?

In 4000 years of recorded human warfare it is propably the only thing that remains unchanged.

Unreality
3rd Jul 2005, 04:13 PM
i want a more old shredded looking flag because ya know.. a flag isnt goining to stay in 1 piece when getting blasted with all that stuff and shouldnt stay clean at all lol yust a lil more ragged and dirty flag but still clearly wich colour flag it is

EL BOURIKO
4th Jul 2005, 01:22 AM
i want a more old shredded looking flag because ya know.. a flag isnt goining to stay in 1 piece when getting blasted with all that stuff and shouldnt stay clean at all lol yust a lil more ragged and dirty flag but still clearly wich colour flag it is

you just take this aspect out of my mouth. I want destroyed burning flag after a while and when the flag is TOTALLY destroyed then it s just like when the flag is taken back by the opponent.

edhe
4th Jul 2005, 03:35 AM
Yeah sure.

I have always thought that CTF could use some upgrade.
It needs to be made more "cool" to cap if you know what i mean maybe some nice effects etc.

What if the game went into slomo immidietly after a player capped by "jumping it" in and it showed some data who capped, who assisted etc. Very short, when the capper touch ground the game turns normal again.

I would like to see individual animations for CTF too. (for picking it up, capping etc)

Also instant replays on the screens all over the map would be nice.
:tup: like the thoughts - some effects, some replays, extra stats, loss of personal scores and more stats about capping itself. Make it less TDM with extras and back to CTF tastic.

MxX
4th Jul 2005, 11:33 AM
I want both! *g* just like the way at the weaponry, the player should freely decide what he prefers

4th Jul 2005, 07:22 PM
pikachoo: flags sticking into character mesh r soo kewl ^ - ^ AAH AAH MY ASS IS SHOOTING LIGHTNING BOLTS!!

It would be far easier for someone to make a mut to stick a crappy flag in the characters back than to make a mut to replace it with a futuristic flag. I vote futuristic flag. I don't know how a nasty looking flag will bring back whatever people liked so much about UT. I think, things other than the silly looking flag are more important in bringing back the aesthetics of classic UT.

FireCrack
4th Jul 2005, 08:34 PM
Pah, a real flag not a silly looking "icon"

EL BOURIKO
5th Jul 2005, 07:57 AM
The real question is: Is there anything wrong in having a conventional flag? this answer will tell us wether or not some "fancy" -but not necessary relevant- alternativ is needed or not...

IMO I would focus more in a flag that becomes a burning, muddy, altered flag because of the battle rather than a new high tech icon.

Sahkolihaa
5th Jul 2005, 09:21 AM
I don't really care as long as it's SOME sort of flag, otherwise the name "capture the flag" has no meaning.

gregori
5th Jul 2005, 11:30 AM
the flag had been a futuristic deally, they called that game Bombing Run............

The classic flag seems to balance out all the other futuristic stuff already in the game!

Kantham
5th Jul 2005, 11:35 AM
I miss some XMP artifacts.

Artman40
5th Jul 2005, 03:10 PM
I'd like a combination of these two. Futurassic. :)

Mr.Magnetichead
5th Jul 2005, 03:42 PM
I'd like the UC2 flag in UT 2007.

Xaero_UT
5th Jul 2005, 11:42 PM
i should be able to use the heavy metal pole, and beat the s*** out of the people following me when i steal it..so i vote classic, + the futuristic flag, might give people seizures

WatermeloN
6th Jul 2005, 05:25 AM
keep it simple

edhe
6th Jul 2005, 06:05 AM
Like your posts?

One thing i'm certain about though - the Flag and the FC should be little balls of sunshine in the map. In 99 you could spot 'em a mile off, but the effect in 2k3 was .. nothing and the 2k4 was better but still not vibrant enough imho. They should recolour the whole area immediately around them.

But not shine through walls...(ffs).

Mr.Magnetichead
6th Jul 2005, 06:24 AM
Actually I think it should act like cloth in that it billows and flows but it should be made out of transparent glowing material like the Brute squad leaders in Halo 2.

Rask
6th Jul 2005, 07:25 AM
I'd want classic. :)

JaFO
6th Jul 2005, 01:18 PM
I'd like to see a choice of at least 2-3 flags for mappers to use.

And having the flag actually react to the environment/movement would be great altough probably a bit impossible given that cloth-physics are not easy.

Definitely no client-side only choice.

btw : didn't the flag show the team-icon by default in UT2k3 ? Or was that something in a mutator ?

Loibisch
9th Jul 2005, 04:41 PM
What if the game went into slomo immidietly after a player capped by "jumping it" in and it showed some data who capped, who assisted etc. Very short, when the capper touch ground the game turns normal again.I know I'll hate it the first time I fall down the map because I was battling in some place remotely from the flag and someone capped while I was about to translocate across the great void...

CyMek
17th Jul 2005, 02:56 PM
HL2CTF has a weird flag. It's an energy ball (If you played HL2 singleplayer, its those balls that attack you on Highway 17) that you have to pick up with the gravity gun, and can't use any other weapons with. It sucks.

O.S.T
18th Jul 2005, 09:09 AM
keep it simple
word.

EL BOURIKO
18th Jul 2005, 10:01 AM
change the flag with a gadget and then change the CTF name to CTG (Capture The Gadget)
I hope that the flag will not change since it would not add anything new to the gameplay.

Bullet10k
12th Nov 2005, 05:41 PM
LOOK! Even Quake 4 has done it!

http://www.planetquake.com/quake4/mp/maps/heartless2.jpg
http://www.planetquake.com/quake4/mp/maps/relativity1.jpg

I want ut2k7's flag to kick it's arse. GO UT2K7!

T2A`
12th Nov 2005, 05:49 PM
That's God damn retarded. But that's Q4 for you.

Neophoenix
12th Nov 2005, 08:22 PM
I think updating the flag would be cool, because it is suppose to be like what... 2223 A.D. or something outrageous like that. I say make it holographic, but keep it on a flagpole. They could even make it a normal flag with some sort of animated holograph on the flag surface. At least then it would explain why you glow when you carry the darn thing.

Vault
12th Nov 2005, 09:30 PM
i dont care what it is...i just want to be able to stab people with it!

Bullet10k
12th Nov 2005, 11:15 PM
I think updating the flag would be cool, because it is suppose to be like what... 2223 A.D. or something outrageous like that. I say make it holographic, but keep it on a flagpole. They could even make it a normal flag with some sort of animated holograph on the flag surface. At least then it would explain why you glow when you carry the darn thing.
And a holographic flag would explain how you could place it OVER your flag, and then have it returned to the enemy base as soon as you do.

Selerox
13th Nov 2005, 06:00 AM
LOOK! Even Quake 4 has done it!

Seen how many people are playing Q4CTF recently? It's a nightmare of an idea. A flag's a flag.

NeoNite
13th Nov 2005, 09:13 AM

It's the 24th century according to UT (teh first game) and I don't mind those classic flags one bit.

Animation on the flag would rock though.

But no holographic flags. si teh suck.

Kantham
13th Nov 2005, 09:17 AM
A mutator could be always possible. A simple hologram base with a nasty flag model. Then the player would cary a small package which would be attached on his back. It's all possible but require some skills to make.

wiki.beyondunreal.com is your friend.

NeoNite
14th Nov 2005, 07:48 AM
What if you cap a flag, and say your team is thunder crash.
The moment you cap it, an animation commences on the flag itself. Say... an eagle flying by. And maybe the sound of its shriek.

Might be a little too much. So if you'd leave out the sound, but keep the animation.

Whenever a team caps a flag, their logo appears. And when you cap, the animation starts.

Vault
14th Nov 2005, 08:09 PM
how about replays of caps?

eh...

gramps
14th Nov 2005, 09:07 PM
New flag animations are fair enough, but it's got to be y'know, a flag.

I'll take mine Classic with the chilli sauce.
hear hear. just ketchup on mine tho.

Neophoenix
14th Nov 2005, 10:02 PM
What if you cap a flag, and say your team is thunder crash.
The moment you cap it, an animation commences on the flag itself. Say... an eagle flying by. And maybe the sound of its shriek.

Might be a little too much. So if you'd leave out the sound, but keep the animation.

Whenever a team caps a flag, their logo appears. And when you cap, the animation starts.
I would rather have the logo always animated, and then have a special animation for when you score the enemy flag.

I also want COLORED team symbols. It would look way better than just a white outline, and you could then have national flags and such for competition matches.

Bullet10k
14th Nov 2005, 11:03 PM
Seen how many people are playing Q4CTF recently? It's a nightmare of an idea. A flag's a flag.
rofl do you seriously mean that Q4CTF has very little people playing because of the flag style it has?

Phopojijo
14th Nov 2005, 11:39 PM
rofl do you seriously mean that Q4CTF has very little people playing because of the flag style it has?
Lol, its all in the details afterall.

NeoNite
15th Nov 2005, 09:50 AM
I would rather have the logo always animated, and then have a special animation for when you score the enemy flag.

I also want COLORED team symbols. It would look way better than just a white outline, and you could then have national flags and such for competition matches.

Maybe if the logos would have a slight... halo.. and when you cap it would light up...and animate at the same moment.

F.e. an eagle: When you cap, the eagly spreads its wings, shrieks and lights up..

Eh, maybe a little exagerated.

T2A`
15th Nov 2005, 10:35 AM
I dunno... I thought people didn't play Q4CTF because it was total crap just like the rest of the game. Maybe my logic is skewed though since I haven't played the game since four days after I bought it. :shake:

Neophoenix
15th Nov 2005, 10:37 AM
I dunno... I thought people didn't play Q4CTF because it was total crap just like the rest of the game. Maybe my logic is skewed though since I haven't played the game since four days after I bought it. :shake:
Why is it so crap? I've been trying to find a demo, to see what Q4 is all about.

briach
15th Nov 2005, 02:14 PM
Even if you were kidding NeoNite, that sounds like a badass idea, imo.

NeoNite
15th Nov 2005, 05:28 PM
I wasn't kidding. But it would probably be hard trying to keep it within reasonable boundries. I mean, you get too many animations/sounds and it's overkill...

zynthetic
15th Nov 2005, 06:20 PM
imo the holoflag things in UC2 and Q4 look like something you'd get from Q3's cg_simpleItems.
I really dont care what type of flag, (classic/future) just as long as it doesn't look like a sprite.

ThirtySixBelow
15th Nov 2005, 07:07 PM
Why is it so crap? I've been trying to find a demo, to see what Q4 is all about.

The multiplayer is alright, the movement is just a little to slow and the rox are poorly programmed. They move very slow so you can't hit someone at long distances and since the player movement is so slow, they totally own from up close. The way you move with the haste pickup should be how it is all the time. The single player is totally kick butt though, I loved it. The environment of the single player was second to none. You get all kinds of feelings while playing through it. The only thing about the single player that I didn't like was the skyboxes, they looked pretty previous gen. (most likely the engines fault since doom 3 was mostly all indoors and there was no need for a solid skybox system). You will get a mixed bag asking about this game. If you ask someone like T2A who played it 3 times and automatically labeled it as dumb, you will get all and nothing but negative comments about every aspect of the game. If you ask someone who is indifferent to what makes games good, then they will rave about all of it's features and how awesome it is only because it looks good and not knowing that the game is pretty standard to the FPS genere. I guess i'm somewhere in the middle. I liked the single player because it was fun for me. That doesn't mean it will be fun for everyone though. I'm not much into the multiplayer though because of it's few shortcommings. It's very close to being great, but they missed a few things that hopefully the mod community will pick up. If you like single player I would get it, if you want something to replace your UT, wait for some mods you like, if any, to come out.

About the flag, I guess the holographic standard looking flag would be my choice. I doubt the flag is going to make or break the gametype.

T2A`
15th Nov 2005, 07:56 PM
When I say "Q4 sucks" I mean the multiplayer. Perhaps I should have clarified. I gave it more than a few tries and it's just the most boring spamfest I have ever had the misfortune of taking part in. If said spam was fun I'd be all for it, but it's not. It's a slow and lumbering excuse for FPS multiplayer, and I never had any fun playing it. I haven't touched the single player yet, and while that may look good, the multiplayer maps all pretty much look like total crap, and the engine runs slow as hell for the amount of stuff it's rendering. I'm not gonna say "it's okay" when I severely dislike playing it, and it's ridiculous when the success of a game depends on a community-made mod that may or may not come into existence at some point in the future. I had an open mind when I got the game; in fact, I wanted the game to succeed in ways UT2004 has failed and I really hoped it would be a huge success. I was greeted by nothing but disappointment with regards to the multiplayer, so I stopped playing it completely and haven't looked back since. Naturally, this is what I need to post whenever someone asks my opinion on the game, but I'm lazy, so I just paraphrase everything I just said by saying "Q4 sucks" instead.

ThirtySixBelow
15th Nov 2005, 08:05 PM
I totally agree that it's lame they are putting the multiplayer in the hands of the community. They should have released them as separate games if they felt rushed to get it out and therefore didn't put much into it. If someone decides to base their opinion on one persons dislike of the game, then that's their fault anyway, but someone else might actually enjoy the game :B

FireCrack
16th Nov 2005, 01:07 AM
A worn, tattered, fabric flag is best!

Neophoenix
16th Nov 2005, 12:52 PM
Sounds Like I won't be getting Q4 any time soon :p. I'm not going to spend $50 just to find out, "yeah they were right, it does suck." And the fact it seems no demo was made further puts me off. Epic better release a demo, or I'll be pissed.

Aren't the current UT2004 flags like this already?

NeoNite
16th Nov 2005, 04:35 PM
Eh, just because they don't like it after playing the game for a few days (veteran level achieved), doesn't mean you will share their disgust ;-)

It does need a friggin' demo, though.

Bullet10k
17th Nov 2005, 02:54 PM
Lol, its all in the details afterall.
ok let me rephrase. "do you seriously mean that Q4CTF has very little people playing JUST because of the flag style it has?"

the flag style made little to no impact.

[IrT]-Lance
17th Nov 2005, 04:48 PM

An interesting idea is a classic flag that gets worn and tattered as guys cap it. The more caps, the more rips! Then by the end of the game the flags are so screwed up theyre simply rags stuck on sticks! sort of a transition

EDIT: Bullet holes!!! thats it! make the flag a semi-destructible object so you can shoot it fulla holes and stuff

Neophoenix
17th Nov 2005, 09:20 PM
-Lance']An interesting idea is a classic flag that gets worn and tattered as guys cap it. The more caps, the more rips! Then by the end of the game the flags are so screwed up theyre simply rags stuck on sticks! sort of a transition

EDIT: Bullet holes!!! thats it! make the flag a semi-destructible object so you can shoot it fulla holes and stuff

LOL, I would just be in my base shooting smilies into the damn thing if that were the case. I'm easily amused and distracted like that :p.

Wowbagger
17th Nov 2005, 10:45 PM
I must admit it WOULD be fun to see someone capping with a burning flag :D

[IrT]-Lance
17th Nov 2005, 11:18 PM
on fire, now thats an idea

Rk.
18th Nov 2005, 07:32 AM
I don't want to carry a fecking electrified penis under the name 'flag'. I find the flag a perfect thing for a gametype like this. Even though UC2 /Q4/HL2CTF goes gay and decides to redo the whole thing into 'capture the glowing penis', doesn't mean UT2007 have to.

Wowbagger
18th Nov 2005, 07:48 AM
Disclaimer: No i dont want Epic to delay UT2007 for a year by implimenting this,

Its a spinoff from [IrT]-Lance:s idea.
As a little bonus feature making the flag take damage and thus indicate how difficult the flagrun was would be pretty nice.

If the flag is VERY torn and burnt it was a hell of a flagrun if its shiny and new it was like stealing candy from a child :)

Of course there would have to be a lowest level so that the flag is still "readable"

Rk.
18th Nov 2005, 12:07 PM
I disagree. A damagable flag would be ok, but not one that damages itself.

Wowbagger
18th Nov 2005, 12:50 PM
It should be affected by the fight not automatically damaged per minute.

Rk.
19th Nov 2005, 06:15 PM
Oh, well I guess I agree after all then.

TraCK
20th Nov 2005, 02:15 PM
Why would you want the flag replaced?

In 4000 years of recorded human warfare it is propably the only thing that remains unchanged.

kafros said it right! If they are going to call it a flag, it needs to look like a flag. In another 100 years is your countries flag on the flag pole outside just going to be some sort of retarded hologram or something? I doubt it. Its gunna stay a simple, cloth flag.

briach
20th Nov 2005, 03:58 PM
A flag that gets scorched or does something other than flap in the air would be cool.

I like the idea of a more interactive flag. The flag cap holographic animation when a team scores would be cool. The flag showing gradual signs of damage if the flagcarrier gets hit with a rocket or something would be cool, too. I'd also like to see the next ctf to have a lot more assists and teammates being close to the flagcarrier so if he drops it someone is really close by to pick up the flag and continue the run. So if there was a total of 4 players carrying the flag and getting fragged on the run the flag would be really torn up and scorched by the end of the run.

cubemario
23rd Nov 2005, 07:54 PM
Personally I don't care, but I say have a flag that fits the environment your in. For example, if your in a futuristic style place, have a futuristic flag. If your in a more natural looking spot, have a normal looking flag etc.

Bullet10k
23rd Nov 2005, 08:18 PM
A different set of flags for every style of map would be the perfect solution.

Ancient map - ancient cloth on a wooden stick or summin, that gets torchured with bullet holes and gets ripped, the more people pick them up, cap them or whatever)

Tech map - Something like uc2 or q4.

Grendelkeep-like map - Normal like what we have now.

TraCK
23rd Nov 2005, 10:36 PM
A different set of flags for every style of map would be the perfect solution.

Ancient map - ancient cloth on a wooden stick or summin, that gets torchured with bullet holes and gets ripped, the more people pick them up, cap them or whatever)

Tech map - Something like uc2 or q4.

Grendelkeep-like map - Normal like what we have now.

^I like that idea. But just some ghey hologram is kind of stupid.

Rk.
24th Nov 2005, 08:33 AM
I hate the idea of a flag being damaged when a person picks it up.